PDA

View Full Version : Some Kodak 2D 8 by 10 questions

Bernard Kelly
24-Aug-2016, 09:57
I'm a rank beginner trying to put a Kodak 2D 8 by 10 into working order.

Some no doubt naive questions:

1) I'm stymied by the front rise & fall control. I have a vague idea as to how it should work, which is to say none at all. I understand that pulling the knob in and out should lock or release the frame/lensboard part, but I see nothing on the latter that would catch onto the inside gear. So: how is this supposed to work in principle?

2) Will a film holder really fit into that narrow space?

3) What's the proper way to remove the back?

As I say, naive. Any help appreciated

mathieu Bauwens
24-Aug-2016, 10:14
1) lock in, then turn the knob to move the lensboard, lock out when it is OK

2) Yes !

3) You have to slightly raise the 2 metals bars from the small pins, then rotate your back.

Bernard Kelly
24-Aug-2016, 10:24
1) lock in, then turn the knob to move the lensboard, lock out when it is OK

2) Yes !

3) You have to slightly raise the 2 metals bars from the small pins, then rotate your back.

Thanks for 2) and 3).
But:
1) This has no effect on mine. It just grinds away. Should there be a corresponding gear on the back of the frame/lensboard? I don't see anything nor any area of contact.

cowanw
24-Aug-2016, 10:43
The gear is hidden between. Likely the teeth on the inside are broken.

Bernard Kelly
24-Aug-2016, 15:31
You may be right, although it's difficult to tell. (See photos.) Do those holes on the back of the frame indicate a missing part?

cowanw
24-Aug-2016, 17:50
Don't think there is anything more to it than in your first picture.

scm
24-Aug-2016, 19:28
You may be right, although it's difficult to tell. (See photos.) Do those holes on the back of the frame indicate a missing part?

It appears that you are missing the rack of the rack & pinion set. The short piece is what locks the riser when you pull the knob out.

http://www.stevemidgleyphotography.com/_MG_7499.JPG

Bernard Kelly
25-Aug-2016, 09:34
It appears that you are missing the rack of the rack & pinion set. The short piece is what locks the riser when you pull the knob out.

http://www.stevemidgleyphotography.com/_MG_7499.JPG

That makes more sense to me (and would account for the holes I mentioned). Thank you. Yet another piece I'll need to search for. Anyone have any suggestions?

scm
25-Aug-2016, 09:50
That makes more sense to me (and would account for the holes I mentioned). Thank you. Yet another piece I'll need to search for. Anyone have any suggestions?

If you will PM me your address, I'll send you the part shown in the photo. You will need to figure out the fasteners (small nails), as they are all missing from this one.

Bernard Kelly
25-Aug-2016, 11:02
If you will PM me your address, I'll send you the part shown in the photo. You will need to figure out the fasteners (small nails), as they are all missing from this one.

PM sent. Thank you.