PDA

View Full Version : Best 4x5 camera, under $1000

Fredrick
20-Aug-2016, 08:01
Hi.

I had to sell all of my equipment two years ago, due to financial issues.

I'm now want to get back into photography, and I will be going for a 4x5. I will mainly shoot colour and scan. I don't need a lot of movements, but I'd like the front part to be able to tilt focus without having to refocus. I forgot what that's called. I used to have a Tachihara 4x4 and this camera didn't have that function.

I eagerly await your recommendations

-Fredrick

Bob Mann
20-Aug-2016, 08:06
New - Shen Hao has a few models to choose from. Used - there are too many to list that might sell for less than $1000.

neil poulsen
20-Aug-2016, 08:10
I think that you're referring to axis tilts.

It'll help if we know what you want to photography?

How important is it that the camera be light-weight? There are relatively inexpensive rail cameras that are very flexible and have axis tilts. But, they tend to be relatively heavy.

Does the $1000 limit include lenses?

Fredrick
20-Aug-2016, 08:18
I think that you're referring to axis tilts.

It'll help if we know what you want to photography?

How important is it that the camera be light-weight? There are relatively inexpensive rail cameras that are very flexible and have axis tilts. But, they tend to be relatively heavy.

Does the $1000 limit include lenses?
Oh yes, I'm sorry.

I only do landscape photography. I do not want a rail camera, as it will be too cumbersome.

It would be great if I could get a complete outfit with lenses at the $1000 mark.

mathieu Bauwens
20-Aug-2016, 11:39
The Chamonix 045N is under 1000$ new ; http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/45.html

dpn
20-Aug-2016, 11:57
Calumet 4x5: $75 on eBay. Spend your savings on film and lenses!

sperdynamite
23-Aug-2016, 06:34
Field: Chamonix 45N-2. I have one, and love it. Then Shen's are good too I hear.

Monorail: All of them? You can get a Sinar for basically nothing now. I think Toyos are underrated workhorses in this field.

DrTang
23-Aug-2016, 07:03
Calumet 4x5: $75 on eBay. Spend your savings on film and lenses!

^^^^this

Stephen Thomason
23-Aug-2016, 08:19
Numerous rail cameras on eBay for around $100 - Calumet, Sinar, Toyo - all EXCELLENT cameras and basically give-aways at these prices. You couldn't buy a good bellows for the price of some of these cameras. If I didn't already have over a dozen, I'd get some more!

I'm starting to pick up some 5x7's woodies just because they are so pretty to look at and they are very inexpensive to "run" if you use paper negatives.

Luis-F-S
23-Aug-2016, 10:05
Hard to beat a Sinar F2, which now costs used around $300-400. First one I bought 20 or so years ago was around $1500 used, now they are a bargain so I've bought two more! L

Willie
23-Aug-2016, 10:12
A used Linhof Technika, model 3 or 4. Solid, compact and have been used by top photographers for decades.

koraks
23-Aug-2016, 14:11
Hard to beat a Sinar F2, which now costs used around $300-400. First one I bought 20 or so years ago was around $1500 used, now they are a bargain so I've bought two more! L
This, or a Sinar P if it's not a problem if it weighs just a bit more. I use an F (4x5) and a Norma (8x10) and I find that the Sinar system is very convenient to use. The F/F2 is also quite portable, even if it doesn't fold as small as an actual field camera. In my opinion, the flexibility of a lightweight monorail outweighs its reduced portability.

Corran
23-Aug-2016, 14:52
Chamonix for sure, if focusing on landscape and when weight is a concern.

Bob Salomon
23-Aug-2016, 15:10
From all these answers you should see that your question is severely flawed! There is no "best" there are lots of alternatives. The answers that you gave gotten are primarily opinions, not advice. What will work best for you will be determined by what you want to do, how picky are you, how short a lens you want to use, how long a lens you want to use, how close you want to get to your subject (macro work), how portable you want it to be, do you want all movements or would you be willing to sacrifice some, how much weight are you willing to carry, do you want viewing aids, etc., etc..

The "best" camera for you might not have been mentioned. Or it might be a bit more then your stated desire.

Do some research, determine what you need to do, then choose between the cameras that fulfill those needs. You will find that it is vastly less expensive to buy the correct camera for your requirements at the start then to try to buy another camera later.

angusparker
23-Aug-2016, 17:14
Chamonix F1 has the axis tilt function - light and about $1k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fr. Mark
24-Aug-2016, 07:36
I think the quest is a null set: I believe what the OP wants is not axis tilt but asymmetric movements if he wants to move the front standard and not have to re-focus. This immediately narrows it down to a Sinar monorail which he did not want but which might well be had for $1000 and under fully equipped to make photos (he needs lenses, film holders and a tripod,I think) or an Ebony which will not be under $1000 especially with lenses, etc. Btw, the Sinar is not a little heavier than a light 4x5 it is a lot heavier.