PDA

View Full Version : From Colorado-- 6 1/2 x 8 1/2 Scovill Camera--An Update

Raymond Bleesz
20-Aug-2016, 07:48
Some of you know that I have been restoring a very rare turn of the century camera, a very odd sized camera, a 6 1/2 x 8 1/2 New York Scovill Albion camera, dated 1889 with its Rochester Lens, Victor. It is a rather large camera, all brass, & exquisite crafted mahogany wood body, a unique camera due to its size, which I purchased not long ago this summer on a cattle ranch up Colorado River Road, along with 2 other older Kodak cameras.

Parts are hard to come bye, as is information. I had to do a fair amount of computer research to find out the history of this rare camera & its demise at the time of heady “Kodak” under George Eastman’s direction. A major thank you to all of you who provided guidance & shared information---from Scotland, Texas, Turkey, Clemson University et al..

Film holders & film were major issues I had to deal with as this sized film is long obsolete in favor of 5x7 although Ilford provides film of this size but once a year. I had to rely upon a woodsmith, a fine craftsman, Ed Chipman of Acadia Woods in Eagle to help me with a film holder which needed some remodeling, trim work to use on this Scoville Albion camera as film holders were uniquely made to the camera. I was able to find on Ebay 2 rare 6 1/2 x 8 1/2 Universal Rochester film holders with 5x7 film adapters built into these larger Rochester holders, hence I was able to work with 5x7 film at the expense of altering the holder.

A ground glass was needed, and I was able to commission one for this sized camera. A temporary tripod was created to host the camera.154030154031

This is my first portrait taken with a 1898 Scovill Albion Field camera, sized 6 1/2 x 8 1/2 with a Rochester Victor lens dated approx. 1881, a 135 year old lens, which is a bit soft in the eyes. I will need to test the lens further.

Photography and painting at the turn of the century were undergoing epic changes in style/format, and the art scene moved from Paris to NYC with Alfred Stieglitz leading the way with his Studio 291 in NYC. Stieglitz, perhaps the Godfather of American art, certainly contributed greatly towards photograph's recognition in the arts. This camera was involved at that time, a highly energized art scene, a finely crafted photographic camera which was in competition with Kodak. It made its way to Colorado, to Eagle County and into today’s photographic presence. I would say, "welcome back", and again, thank you to all of you.
(model-Adam)

Raymond A. Bleesz
photographer
Edwards, Co

scheinfluger_77
20-Aug-2016, 15:30
A fine looking camera and absolutely nothing wrong with that lens that I can see from your example. It's just not a modern plasmat ;)

Ron (Netherlands)
30-Aug-2016, 02:29
Many thanks for the write up. I'm always in favor of using ancient camera's with there contemporary lenses/shutters, and yours seems to draw beautifully.

premortho
13-Jan-2017, 12:27
Some of you know that I have been restoring a very rare turn of the century camera, a very odd sized camera, a 6 1/2 x 8 1/2 New York Scovill Albion camera, dated 1889 with its Rochester Lens, Victor. It is a rather large camera, all brass, & exquisite crafted mahogany wood body, a unique camera due to its size, which I purchased not long ago this summer on a cattle ranch up Colorado River Road, along with 2 other older Kodak cameras.

Parts are hard to come bye, as is information. I had to do a fair amount of computer research to find out the history of this rare camera & its demise at the time of heady “Kodak” under George Eastman’s direction. A major thank you to all of you who provided guidance & shared information---from Scotland, Texas, Turkey, Clemson University et al..

Film holders & film were major issues I had to deal with as this sized film is long obsolete in favor of 5x7 although Ilford provides film of this size but once a year. I had to rely upon a woodsmith, a fine craftsman, Ed Chipman of Acadia Woods in Eagle to help me with a film holder which needed some remodeling, trim work to use on this Scoville Albion camera as film holders were uniquely made to the camera. I was able to find on Ebay 2 rare 6 1/2 x 8 1/2 Universal Rochester film holders with 5x7 film adapters built into these larger Rochester holders, hence I was able to work with 5x7 film at the expense of altering the holder.

A ground glass was needed, and I was able to commission one for this sized camera. A temporary tripod was created to host the camera.154030154031

This is my first portrait taken with a 1898 Scovill Albion Field camera, sized 6 1/2 x 8 1/2 with a Rochester Victor lens dated approx. 1881, a 135 year old lens, which is a bit soft in the eyes. I will need to test the lens further.

Photography and painting at the turn of the century were undergoing epic changes in style/format, and the art scene moved from Paris to NYC with Alfred Stieglitz leading the way with his Studio 291 in NYC. Stieglitz, perhaps the Godfather of American art, certainly contributed greatly towards photograph's recognition in the arts. This camera was involved at that time, a highly energized art scene, a finely crafted photographic camera which was in competition with Kodak. It made its way to Colorado, to Eagle County and into today’s photographic presence. I would say, "welcome back", and again, thank you to all of you.
(model-Adam)

Raymond A. Bleesz
photographer
Edwards, CoDemise? Scovill merged with H.T. Anthony, to become Anthony-Scovill, later shortened to Ansco. Ansco was around a long time.