PDA

View Full Version : Chemistry for Ilfochrome

Peter Hruby
23-Apr-2005, 12:22
Hi,

I am having problem to locate supplier for Ilford P-3 chemistry. Esspecially in Canada. I tried US suppliers too (B&H Photo), they cannot ship it because of some sort of regulations? Can anybody help me to locate supplier willing to ship?

I am looking for 2L kits, but also I am willing to buy 20 L concetrates developer, fixer and bleach.
As another alternative is to make my own solutions. Does anybody tried it? Or somethinch similar to it? Can anybody post chemical composition of fixer, bleach and developer?

Thanks for the response.
Peter.

Bill_1856
23-Apr-2005, 13:33
Developer is ordinary B&W soup - Dektol, Selectol, etc.

CP Goerz
23-Apr-2005, 15:02
I found that if you use the 'Beers' formula you could vary the contrast of the print just like in B+W, experiment with the dilution and use it as a one shot basis. Add 1.2g sodium thiosulphate per liter of working solution to disolve the masking layer. The bleach you'll have to keep buying but the fix is easy, just use rapid fixer for 3 mins.

CP Goerz.

Jim Rice
23-Apr-2005, 16:25
That is too cool, Andrew.

Stephen Willard
23-Apr-2005, 21:14
Peter,

I did a search on "Ilford P-3" at the calumet site and they sell Ilford P-30. Is that the same stuff? If so the go to http://www.calumetphoto.com/. They only have 2L kits though but will ship anywhere.

Steve Lewis
24-Apr-2005, 03:18
Hi Peter

Try these people http://www.firstcall-photographic.co.uk/

They definately stock the chemicals, but I don't know about shipping. Worth a phone call though. HTH

Steve

www.landscapesofwales.co.uk

mark blackman
25-Apr-2005, 03:57
Who wont ship the chemicals? Ilford to the supplier, or the supplier to you? Is it because you are trying to import from the USA to Canada? A bit more information would be helpful.

Peter Hruby
25-Apr-2005, 07:10
B&H Photo will not ship to me due to US regulations. I found one supplier in Canada, but he has replenishers instead of starters. I do not know if I can use replenishars as starters or not.

Oh BTW, Chemistry is used for Iffochrome papers (color process), I see few responses regarding BW developers. See Ilford P-3 (http://www.ilford.com/html/us_english/sds/pdf/Effluents/P3.pdf)

Does anybody has experience using replenishers as starters?
Thanks for help.

Nick_3536
25-Apr-2005, 09:12
You can download the P-3 document from the Ilford site. From glancing at the mixing section you need the starter for the developer. But for the bleach no starter exists. If you follow the suggestion to use a B&W developer then you can avoid looking for the developer starter.

From the Ilford document

"Developer DE 3X the composition of DE 3x corresponds with that of a super additive B&W developer." It's a PDF so I can't cut and paste but when you download it you'll see it.

Peter Hruby
25-Apr-2005, 09:41
Hi Nick,

Thanks for response I've got the picture. As far who is verified supplier in Canada, it is The Camera Store in Calgary. Recently they've got new supply from Ilford. Ask for Rob. Be aware, shipping is expensive. they have to charge like 80 CAD to ship it in Canada(special shipping for dangerous chemicals)

CP Goertz or Bill,
just a question for ya... Did you try to process ilfochrome in BW developer? What is your experience?

mark blackman
25-Apr-2005, 23:10
Peter,

sounds expensive! I'm lucky in that I can walk into a photo supply shop and buy the p-30 2 litre kit over the counter for £15.80. Have you tried contacting any local labs that still produce Ilfochromes to see it they will supply you with some of the p-3 starter chemicals?

Peter Hruby
26-Apr-2005, 06:50
Hi Mark,

I called every camera store in Ontario, they do not supply it...Most of them believe ilford is gone. If I tell them Ilford resumed production, they act like they're surprised, but that is it... Obviously they do not have enough customers to even bother to do special request.

So, I found store in Calgary, the guy there has three big Ilfochrome customers therefore he is keeps supplying them. CP and Bill have had some ideas about BW developers, but I did not get a response yet, if they tried it and if they had been satisfied with results.

CP Goerz
26-Apr-2005, 11:10
Hey Peter,

Yes, I experimented with all sorts of developers but found the Beers version the best as you could vary the contrast from one print to the next. Once you've mixed the stock A and B solution with the thiosulphate you could then vary it to any degree. If the print is too flat add a greater proportion of A or is it B, I've forgotten. You'll also notice that the normal filtration supersensitivity is GONE! just a few CCs will correct most casts.

The fixer I let run for four mins to get cleaner whites and pastel shades, you may only need 3 mins but give it a try.

CP Goerz.

Peter Hruby
27-Apr-2005, 15:36
Canadians Ilfochromers...

I spoke with Ilford Canada and I have som positive news.

P-3 Chemistry is on stock (Developer and Fixer), Bleach is comming in a few days.
I will provide with Catalog Numbers, you just need to send them to your supplier and they will get a pricing and stocking information.

Here they are:

Developer - Starter - 1413928
Developer - Replenisher - 1413928
Bleach - Starter - 1413939
Bleach - Replenisher - 1414086
Fixer - Starter/Replenisher - 1420063

Hope I helped.