PDA

View Full Version : Incoming Saltzman!

Tin Can
15-Aug-2016, 20:20
Just got a message about a Saltzman the Art Institute turned down.

Looks clean in pics.

I almost felt this was going to happen...

Andrew O'Neill
15-Aug-2016, 21:25
So, it's yours?

Tin Can
15-Aug-2016, 21:30
So, it's yours?

Negotiating right now. The guy wants a good local home.

But until it's in the truck it's a crap shoot.

David Karp
15-Aug-2016, 22:36
Good luck!

Tin Can
15-Aug-2016, 23:07
Good luck!

Thanks just reserved a ZIPCAR Ford Transit.

IT WILL FIT.

Maybe with the doors open...

LabRat
16-Aug-2016, 01:38
Cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just don't let the column fall on you... ;-)

Steve K

Pali K
16-Aug-2016, 03:45
Good luck Randy!

jnantz
16-Aug-2016, 04:38
hope it is complete !
some of the ones being
sold and bought are missinig
vital parts that without, make
them just about as useful as a car without
a stearing column.

Tin Can
16-Aug-2016, 06:09
Thx, but sold and bought?

The last 3 I know about were given away.

I will find out more today. There is a glaring oddity to this one. I have done my research.

hope it is complete !
some of the ones being
a stearing column.

Jac@stafford.net
16-Aug-2016, 06:34
hope it is complete !
some of the ones being
a stearing column.

All the parts are standard American industrial. It is highly likely that almost every part is available.

ic-racer
16-Aug-2016, 09:17
153906Good work, post pictures. I have to move my Durst out of the way tonight so a plumber can get to my home water heaters. Im glad i have wheels!

jnantz
16-Aug-2016, 13:47
All the parts are standard American industrial. It is highly likely that almost every part is available.

i was thinking of "light source missing" type things ...

Jac@stafford.net
16-Aug-2016, 13:53
i was thinking of "light source missing" type things ...

Yes, that is an issue. Thanks for that. Mine was missing the light source, but so many fit that it is no worry. What IS hard to find are the huge condensers and housing collar. I have them but have not seen others in over 15 years. Oh, they are spoken for already.

Drew Wiley
16-Aug-2016, 15:12
From the picture it looks like you bagged a horizontal enlarger. But so are the water heaters and shelving.

StoneNYC
16-Aug-2016, 17:05
From the picture it looks like you bagged a horizontal enlarger. But so are the water heaters and shelving.

What pictures? The OP hasn't posted any.

Yes, that is an issue. Thanks for that. Mine was missing the light source, but so many fit that it is no worry. What IS hard to find are the huge condensers and housing collar. I have them but have not seen others in over 15 years. Oh, they are spoken for already.

Yea, the huge condensers get tossed for the cold light systems over the years, I also have the condenser and housing. The light source "holder" can take so many kinds of light sources because it's massive, so lots of options there.

Yup, totally standard parts.

Thanks just reserved a ZIPCAR Ford Transit.

IT WILL FIT.

Maybe with the doors open...

It may fit but how do you plan to LIFT it into the truck bed? Hope you have an engine lift or at least 6 body builders.

You might do better with a trailer that has a lower bed to lift it into.

Good luck!

Luis-F-S
17-Aug-2016, 07:07
What pictures? The OP hasn't posted any.

He likes to hear himself type BEFORE he reads!

Jac@stafford.net
17-Aug-2016, 07:38
It may fit but how do you plan to LIFT it into the truck bed? Hope you have an engine lift or at least 6 body builders.

Three men and a strong girl carried my center post.

docw
17-Aug-2016, 07:42
He likes to hear himself type BEFORE he reads!

LOL, we are all guilty of this. Or did someone already post that?

cowanw
17-Aug-2016, 07:52
Pretty sure Drew was talking to ic-racer. The horizontal water heaters is a clue.
Jeez, picking on Drew is beginning to look like stalking.

Drew Wiley
17-Aug-2016, 08:14
Durst is the outfit that made horizontal enlargers, not Saltzman. Everybody knows that. But who designed all the sideways plumbing, Kreonite?

Tin Can
17-Aug-2016, 08:24
It's a 'WA' model which is the smallest and lightest 8x10 Saltzman. I have the 1961 catalog in hand. I estimate 550 lb and under 9ft tall without head. It has a 'modern' color head. In 1961 there were 3 factory heads. Tungsten/condenser, Cold Cathode and Mercury Vapor.

I have parts of the Mercury Vapor head but I recycled the lamp as it had nearly a lb of mercury in it and I didn't want it breaking in my studio. It WAS the most powerful head of the era at 4500 watts and could burn a 50ft mural according to the catalog.

The lenses were 12" Artar or Dagor.

It's on a dolly laying down. There will be 3 men.

No I have not seen it. But Chicago grapevine knows the history of it.

More info when it comes home.

Tin Can
17-Aug-2016, 08:29
Durst is the outfit that made horizontal enlargers, not Saltzman. Everybody knows that. But who designed all the sideways plumbing, Kreonite?

Saltzman did make horizontal enlargers.

mdarnton
17-Aug-2016, 08:36
It will be interesting to see how you fit it in. I didn't think there was room for one more! :-)

Tin Can
17-Aug-2016, 08:48
It will be interesting to see how you fit it in. I didn't think there was room for one more! :-)

Maybe one needs to squeeze out, but I actually have a spot ready. :)

Jac@stafford.net
17-Aug-2016, 08:53
Saltzman did make horizontal enlargers.

They sure did. This one of two that I know of.
I wouldn't argue with Randy Moe. He has the
original catalog.

Drew Wiley
17-Aug-2016, 09:01
Randy, everything is horizontal in your part of the world anyway, even the world itself! I sure don't want to move anymore of these damn machines. The last one had to get lugged up two flights of stairs from a downtown basement by six of us, then across an open-air restaurant owned (trying not to crush anyone to death while they were just trying to sip their latte), then onto our double-parked flatbed truck. It only got worse back at my lab. Anyone want the remaining Durst? It will probably still be down there longer than the Egyptian pyramids have been around. There is a fancy horizontal one left for sale, nicely wrapped up. He wants 75K for that one, but it has a lot of finicky electronics. Over twenty other LF enlargers simply went to landfill, including about six Omega F 8x10 units. Somebody else even threw away a nice Durst 138 recently because there were no takers. I didn't know about it until it was too late. 138's are relatively easy to move.

StoneNYC
17-Aug-2016, 11:38
It's a 'WA' model which is the smallest and lightest 8x10 Saltzman. I have the 1961 catalog in hand. I estimate 550 lb and under 9ft tall without head. It has a 'modern' color head. In 1961 there were 3 factory heads. Tungsten/condenser, Cold Cathode and Mercury Vapor.

I have parts of the Mercury Vapor head but I recycled the lamp as it had nearly a lb of mercury in it and I didn't want it breaking in my studio. It WAS the most powerful head of the era at 4500 watts and could burn a 50ft mural according to the catalog.

No I have not seen it. But Chicago grapevine knows the history of it.

More info when it comes home.

Gotcha Randy, that sounds lighter, hope you can lift it with 3. I have a smaller model, but my post was attached to the base when we lifted it into the trailer.

I was told it would be difficult to re-insert/install the weights in the post if I removed the base from the shaft. After looking at it, it did seem like that could be an issue so I just left them together.

I used a leverage system and bricks to slowly and safely raise the enlarger by myself over a period of a few hours once I got it in my darkroom space.

There was a thread about it but it was removed at my request after it seemed to be causing too much stress/grief for me.

If you have any questions feel free to contact me.

PS. I would love that Mercury head/bulb for some alt work if you still have it?

I may be able to trade you for a 35mm carrier for it.

Also I've been looking for an 8x10 stretcher carrier, I have two glass carriers but would prefer the stretcher kind if you would be interested in a glass carrier.

Anyway if you have questions about install let me know. Or ask Jac, he knows a lot and is a great resource as well.

Tin Can
17-Aug-2016, 12:01
Gotcha Randy, that sounds lighter, hope you can lift it with 3. I have a smaller model, but my post was attached to the base when we lifted it into the trailer.

I was told it would be difficult to re-insert/install the weights in the post if I removed the base from the shaft. After looking at it, it did seem like that could be an issue so I just left them together.

I used a leverage system and bricks to slowly and safely raise the enlarger by myself over a period of a few hours once I got it in my darkroom space.

There was a thread about it but it was removed at my request after it seemed to be causing too much stress/grief for me.

If you have any questions feel free to contact me.

PS. I would love that Mercury head/bulb for some alt work if you still have it?

I may be able to trade you for a 35mm carrier for it.

Also I've been looking for an 8x10 stretcher carrier, I have two glass carriers but would prefer the stretcher kind if you would be interested in a glass carrier.

Anyway if you have questions about install let me know. Or ask Jac, he knows a lot and is a great resource as well.

As I wrote earlier the Mercury Lamp was recycled. Nothing to sell. It was an environmental hazard that only resembled the Arista solution. Cold Cathode was the fluorescent type.

I have and use a Saltzman 5X7 neg carrier/stretcher. Works fantastic. Tight as a drum head.

Calumet made the only Prêt-à-Porter 8x10 neg stretcher I know of. I use one. Drew and others will now say they are useless and one simply MUST use AN Glass sandwich carriers. Glad they have their solution covered.

My only question for you, Stone, is yours operational and in usage?

Drew Wiley
17-Aug-2016, 12:10
Well, sorry if I did initially confuse that horizontal Saltzman with a polka accordion, something I remember from the Fargo movie, it seems. And yes, always a full
glass sandwich carrier here. We don't seem to have the same problem as the Midwest custom of trying to put pastrami in between. Mercury is still mercury. Don't
eat fish out of the Bay here. Old cinnabar mines to the south, gold rush era quicksilver still percolating down the rivers from the east. Damned CFL bulbs now raining it from the skies.

StoneNYC
17-Aug-2016, 13:11
As I wrote earlier the Mercury Lamp was recycled. Nothing to sell. It was an environmental hazard that only resembled the Arista solution. Cold Cathode was the fluorescent type.

I have and use a Saltzman 5X7 neg carrier/stretcher. Works fantastic. Tight as a drum head.

Calumet made the only Prêt-à-Porter 8x10 neg stretcher I know of. I use one. Drew and others will now say they are useless and one simply MUST use AN Glass sandwich carriers. Glad they have their solution covered.

My only question for you, Stone, is yours operational and in usage?

Operational yes of sorts, in use, no. The darkroom itself isn't finished, the last wall isn't ok, the sink isn't in, the plumbing isn't in, the electrical box that needs moving to be to code isn't moved, and it's 100 degrees or so in my garage now, life things happened (actual family health and real issues not "my car broke or my gf is mad at me" but real serious problems, so yes it projects light and could be used if I wanted to do a dry run at night maybe at 2am if it got cool enough to set up trays and such, but I honestly haven't had the real time or energy and other priorities take precedent. School for the summer ended 2 weeks ago and school for the fall starts in less than 2 weeks and I just haven't had the time to devote to that project. But yes, in theory it's now operational. There are some tweaks I need to make to have it fully and correctly working (like adjusting /adding tension springs and re-sanding and painting the base board, all the other parts have been sanded and painted. It's 97.5% complete. It's the space surrounding the enlarger that's filled with stuff from a move and such. It will get the rest done when time permits. School and other obligations come first unfortunately.

Andrew O'Neill
17-Aug-2016, 17:01

;)

ic-racer
17-Aug-2016, 17:21

In terms of my center post, I could do without the three men. One strong girl is enough for me.

ic-racer
17-Aug-2016, 17:24

House and basement were designed by MC Escher.

Luis-F-S
17-Aug-2016, 17:46
In terms of my center post, I could do without the three men. One strong girl is enough for me.

+1!

Jac@stafford.net
17-Aug-2016, 17:50
She would have the build and stature of a fire hydrant.

jnantz
18-Aug-2016, 07:04

good to hear you have "light source" and your environment is mercury free
its known daguerreotypists + hatters kind of had a hard time with Hg ..
and ALSO its good to know your gear acquisition isn't a result of Hg in your system :)

Tin Can
24-Aug-2016, 10:05
The story begins. This Saltzman is now home.

A big thanks to Peter De Smidt of this forum who just left here for his home. Without his help this move would not have been possible.

THANK YOU PETER!

This is a beautiful and complete WA 8X10 Saltzman with negative carrier, condensers, Arista head and 2 Rodagon lenses.

It was previously owned by Barbara Crane, a well known and famous photographer. http://barbaracrane.desordre.net/index.htm

http://www.mocp.org/detail.php?type=related&kv=7005&t=people

I got it from the young man Barbara Crane gave it to. He realized he could not use it and lost storage. He gave it to me. He and his father both want a print from it and to visit once it's working. They helped load. Thank you Clay!

Peter spilled a little blood, but is OK. It was already disassembled into 3 main parts and was carefully moved inside a Ford Sprinter, which easily contained it.

Now I must return the truck, and start again.

I imagine a month until operational as I fit it into this crowded darkroom.

Pictures at that time.

ic-racer
24-Aug-2016, 11:10
Pictures at that time.

:( :(

Too much suspense to wait. We need pictures like this of the truck loading and of the blood shed....

Peter De Smidt
24-Aug-2016, 11:45
I'm glad that I could help!

Tin Can
24-Aug-2016, 11:51
I'm glad that I could help!

It all happened so fast there was no time for the pictures i wanted.

Since I have a new webcam I will use that when raising 'Saltzman Post Day' occurs.

Thanks again Peter!

Kirk Gittings
24-Aug-2016, 14:16

We recently gave away ours from the Santa Fe University of Art and Design. I was involved in planning and executing the move. The column was moved (with some difficulty) by three grown men and one student. I was so worked by the end of the day that I didn't think I could drive home. :)

And Randy!!!!!! we loaded it in a Ford Econoline Van and it lowered the chassis by 6 inches. It was being driven to Utah. I never heard how the trip went but personally I would have gotten a better weight carrying vehicle.

Tin Can
24-Aug-2016, 15:35
We recently gave away ours from the Santa Fe University of Art and Design. I was involved in planning and executing the move. The column was moved (with some difficulty) by three grown men and one student. I was so worked by the end of the day that I didn't think I could drive home. :)

And Randy!!!!!! we loaded it in a Ford Econoline Van and it lowered the chassis by 6 inches. It was being driven to Utah. I never heard how the trip went but personally I would have gotten a better weight carrying vehicle.

There are different sizes of these. This one is the smallest, then they added 'complications' which greatly increased the weight.

The column was the heavy bit.

Looking it over right now.

I need to take the bellows/head frame off, but that's minor This one is not rusty, needs no paint.

I like the built in levels are intact and working. The sliding masks are good. Has a filter drawer box, the rotating negative carrier and the Arista is ready to go.

Missing condenser mounting stack and a light source for that.

Funny but sad I had most of the missing OE condenser parts but gave up on storing the bulky tins...

But nothing that cannot be made again to mount the clean condenser stack when I get bored using the Arista.

The bellows need patching.

This Ford Transit didn't even notice the load, we secured the load tightly.

Tin Can
28-Aug-2016, 06:59
Does anybody have any experience tearing the Saltzman column down to individual parts?

I am going to replace the rusty kinked chains, which should not require complete disassembly, but...

It occurs to me once the post is in 5 major parts it may be way easier to reassemble in the upright position directly to the cast iron table.

I keep thinking about how the factory did it. They made many models and most parts interchange.

So assembly bit by bit from parts would be obvious.

This allows me to replace the chains, lube sprockets, R&R 8 roller bearings and very thoroughly clean every nook and cranny.

As I like to work alone, if this works, I may not need any help.

Don't worry, I always count my fingers and toes. I changed out huge diesel engines by myself on night shift where no one would ever hear me screaming.

I also have been first on scene for many industrial accidents, fires, HazMat. I was on rescue squad.

I do take advice if you have any! :)

Jac@stafford.net
28-Aug-2016, 07:36
I am going to replace the rusty kinked chains, which should not require complete disassembly, but...

Randy, I appreciate that you want to be thorough, but consider first that squirting the gears on the top, and letting the solvent flow through the tube will probably free the roller bearings quite well. Then follow up with lubricating spray. I know you realize this and I mention it because I did not try to disassemble my column (which, by the way, is probably a standard hydraulic tube.)

The chains - remember how we coped with motorcycle chains. Roll the top (visible) gear to see if the chain has a master link, and if it does then wire the bridge links together, but with slack so when you remove the master the chain does not fall into the column. Replace the chain by attaching the new chain to one end of the old, pull the old length through until the new chain comes up, reattach. There is supposed to be slack in the chain, thank Cor.

A bit of warning from my experience. As you know, chain of all kinds is available at the big farm and industrial supply stores, but I saw a chain that was just not good. Chinese brand. Along with it were gears without keyways! The shop owner was horrified when I pointed that out.

Inventory: I have eight fingers, two thumbs. So far. But only seven work. :)

Tin Can
28-Aug-2016, 08:18
Duly noted.

My brother has 8 toes, we believe the dog ate them after he cut them off with a lawnmower.

Mark Sampson
28-Aug-2016, 16:56
Try using 'Boeshield T-9' as a lubricant for the chain. Developed by and engineer at Boeing; best I've ever seen, on bicycle chains anyway.

Tin Can
28-Aug-2016, 18:11
Try using 'Boeshield T-9' as a lubricant for the chain. Developed by and engineer at Boeing; best I've ever seen, on bicycle chains anyway.

Looks like great stuff and not expensive.

Gonna need a bunch of it. I just removed the chains and ONE lead weight. The rest are stuck at the top. Glad I decided to go deeper. If the stuck lead weights ever dropped it would surely hurt somebody.

Now I need to pull the top sprocket assembly.

The lead must be substantial as this pipe is far heavier than it should be. Using this http://servicesteel.com/weight-per-foot-of-steel-tube/ tells me the pipe alone is between 90 and 150lbs depending upon wall thickness which is not greater than 5/16. I can't accurately measure it yet.

Now I am slowly jacking the top end up to a downward angle and once the sprocket cap is off I can hammer the lead into submission. Maybe... 2x4 drift and 4 lb drill hammer. Exercise!

Jac@stafford.net
28-Aug-2016, 18:28
Now I need to pull the top sprocket assembly.

Hopefully it is held in place by a circlip (https://img1.fastenal.com/productimages/4115628.jpg) on the axle.

Tin Can
28-Aug-2016, 19:19
Hopefully it is held in place by a circlip (https://img1.fastenal.com/productimages/4115628.jpg) on the axle.

Nope, what I mean is the cast iron top cap assembly which is 4-bolted to the the main tube and carries 2 weight compensating pulleys. Which if I remember correctly should double the capacity of the load equalizing lead weights.

I worked up a sweat. Pulled seven dried up greasy 20 lb lead weights. Which is 140 lbs, effective 280 lbs, which should be about the weight of condenser head complete setup with camera assembly.

But I may not use the condenser, because I don't have their tin and lamp assembly. I am also not a fan of their 'Bent Light' point source. A short ceiling compromise. I'm going to weigh everything later and decide what to do after cleaning all this old grease.

The good news is the tube is now much lighter and i can pickup the top end with one hand, now that I am pumped up...

And while doing the hammering, the main tube loosened in the cast iron base and now is removeable. That piece is heavy.

The only rust I see is the chains. I priced USA Stainless Steel chain. Too much! I will use Boesheild on new 'good enough for Govt work' chain.

I may be able to assemble in pieces, just need a plan for installing the lead weights from above. I'll sleep that one up.

I love this stuff. But that must be obvious by now...

One more observation. The stand is 2 parts, top and bottom. The bottom was expertly sectioned to about 10 inches shorter. The main tube is also not the full OE 8 ft, more like 7.5 ft so at one time this thing was shortened 16" for somebody.

Maybe Barbara Crane! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbara_Crane

Too bad I never met Barbara, we were darn close geographically at one time. I say the same about Vivian Maier. I had to be standing almost next to Ms Maier several times, after looking at her images.

Fr. Mark
28-Aug-2016, 20:01
Randy: two thoughts: 1. You the man! 2. If I ever thought I was going to optically enlarge my 8x10s, I'm definitely sticking to contact printing!

LabRat
28-Aug-2016, 20:35
Maybe the chains will come clean from rust after a couple day's soak in cheap cola, and a little wire brushing??? Or an electro-galvanic bath with a steel anode, + current???

You are a motorcycle guy... You know chains... (And what can be done with them...) ;-)

Steve K

Tin Can
28-Aug-2016, 20:43
Randy: two thoughts: 1. You the man! 2. If I ever thought I was going to optically enlarge my 8x10s, I'm definitely sticking to contact printing!

There are people here who have made wonderful working 8x10 enlargers using shelf brackets, foam core and a light bulb.

I just like old machines. Always have. I found a manual, one at a time bottle cap press at age 16. I talked my mother into helping me make Hires Root Beer from the extract once sold in stores. Great fun. Really good Root Beer. I never told her it was 1% alcohol...

Heck we made most things in the 50's. DIY water skies for me when I weighed 45 lbs. I could ski behind a 10 horse. We hand drilled wells, bla bla. We were Prepared as good Boy Scouts well before preppers...

Roger Thoms
28-Aug-2016, 20:47
Ok Randy, so when do we get to see some pictures of your new mean machine? ;)

Roger

Tin Can
28-Aug-2016, 21:09
Gad, I sent the first answer to the Mods. I bet I do that often. Brain fade.

I buy new high quality chains and sprockets. Life is too fragile to trust to a flawed bike.

What if the Saltzman chain breaks? Somebody will be hurt when the Head hits the table...

Maybe the chains will come clean from rust after a couple day's soak in cheap cola, and a little wire brushing??? Or an electro-galvanic bath with a steel anode, + current???

You are a motorcycle guy... You know chains... (And what can be done with them...) ;-)

Steve K

ic-racer
29-Aug-2016, 09:26
I found these images back in 2008 when I had been looking at a Saltzman. Don't know if they are of any use to you or not.

ic-racer
29-Aug-2016, 09:26

ic-racer
29-Aug-2016, 09:31
More Saltzman images. This one was getting meticulously restored like a fine automobile or motorcycle. I thought it might give you inspiration, you can probably do work like this.

ic-racer
29-Aug-2016, 09:33
Last is an article from the early 1960s mentioning NASA's Saltzman:

Jac@stafford.net
29-Aug-2016, 09:37
ic-racer: Those pictures are of my Saltzman done when I had begun rebuilding it. Thanks! I lost the pictures.

The wood clamps on the lower stand are holding a temporary platform on wheels so that I could roll it in and out of the garage. The stand is yellow so it's more visible under safelight. Besides, I didn't have any white paint at hand. :)

ic-racer
29-Aug-2016, 09:43
ic-racer: Those pictures are of my Saltzman done when I had begun rebuilding it. Thanks! I lost the pictures.

The wood clamps on the lower stand are holding a temporary platform on wheels so that I could roll it in and out of the garage. The stand is yellow so it's more visible under safelight. Besides, I didn't have any white paint at hand. :)

That is fantastic, the images have come complete circle! Looks like a lot of new zinc plated fasteners, yes? I suspect it is all SAE.

Luis-F-S
29-Aug-2016, 09:49

So can you post some photos of what the finished beast looks like? L

Peter De Smidt
29-Aug-2016, 09:55
Jac's is beefier than the one Randy and I just moved.

Jac@stafford.net
29-Aug-2016, 09:55
Yes, all the fasteners were replaced, and the uncoated bolts were painted with a very thin layer of zinc before installing. The fasteners are SA, high grade. Note the universals and shafts - good old farm supply 1/2" steel.

The two hand wheels - one raised and lowered the head/film holder, the other moved the head/film holder forward and back. I added two more gears to move the head left/right. Unfinished. I quit the rebuild when I lost my place to install the enlarger, but I was working on another control to focus the bellows; never finished.

One of the three lensboards was drilled and tapped for a universal iris-clamp, but I cannibalized that for my camera.

The head unit superstructure is sitting under a tarp, pretty badly surface rusted. I promised this enlarger to Peter De Smidt. I still have to clean up the head rods. :( Having mobility problems;
living on Ibuprofen.

Oh, Randy Moe - my condensers are 14" in diameter in a conventional stack and held in-place with a common sheet steel tube bent on a sheet metal brake.

Jac@stafford.net
29-Aug-2016, 10:01
So can you post some photos of what the finished beast looks like? L

It was never finished. It is all in parts - very nicely restored and painted.

Tin Can
29-Aug-2016, 10:15
I am not restoring, as this one does not need it. It has some patina which is good. It will get new chains, new bellows and DIY LED oversize head, 12 x 12 at least.

Here is how I left it last night. I used 2x3 to get the weights out and now it's a handy way to lift it. Leverage works.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8355/29210800752_509a93fc62_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/LvfZnJ)IMG_2733 (https://flic.kr/p/LvfZnJ) by moe.randy (https://www.flickr.com/photos/tincancollege/), on Flickr
https://c4.staticflickr.com/9/8507/29240129771_412ec4d15c_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/LxRiSt)IMG_2734 (https://flic.kr/p/LxRiSt) by moe.randy (https://www.flickr.com/photos/tincancollege/), on Flickr
https://c6.staticflickr.com/9/8152/29318792245_3ace325704_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/LENtu2)IMG_2735 (https://flic.kr/p/LENtu2) by moe.randy (https://www.flickr.com/photos/tincancollege/), on Flickr
https://c4.staticflickr.com/9/8351/29318792195_349b4c28ea_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/LENtta)IMG_2736 (https://flic.kr/p/LENtta) by moe.randy (https://www.flickr.com/photos/tincancollege/), on Flickr

Jac@stafford.net
29-Aug-2016, 10:17
Randy, the parts you show are just like mine.
Oh, when I see a brass drift, I know the man is a mechanic. :)

And holy cow! I see the base of exactly the studio stand I have!
And that old square camera box! The same!
If your floor were far more cluttered, it could be my garage.

Tin Can
29-Aug-2016, 10:21
Yes, all the fasteners were replaced, and the uncoated bolts were painted with a very thin layer of zinc before installing. The fasteners are SA, high grade. Note the universals and shafts - good old farm supply 1/2" steel.

The two hand wheels - one raised and lowered the head/film holder, the other moved the head/film holder forward and back. I added two more gears to move the head left/right. Unfinished. I quit the rebuild when I lost my place to install the enlarger, but I was working on another control to focus the bellows; never finished.

One of the three lensboards was drilled and tapped for a universal iris-clamp, but I cannibalized that for my camera.

The head unit superstructure is sitting under a tarp, pretty badly surface rusted. I promised this enlarger to Peter De Smidt. I still have to clean up the head rods. :( Having mobility problems;
living on Ibuprofen.

Oh, Randy Moe - my condensers are 14" in diameter in a conventional stack and held in-place with a common sheet steel tube bent on a sheet metal brake.

Jac, yours has a longer stand, perhaps a WAB which has twin lens stage pipes.

My condessors are stock 14" in the OE surround, I can make the rest.

Peter De Smidt
29-Aug-2016, 10:27
Looking good, Randy!

Tin Can
29-Aug-2016, 10:33

Looking at your motorcycle I bet you are more meticulous than I.

All good as the kids say.

This floor is almost jackhammer proof as we found out when we dug a giant hole 10 ft down right next to where the pics were taken. Had construction sabotage in the sewer pipe. Big mess, but the same old Polish man who installed my new floor, replaced it it perfectly with no trace of the hell hole I had for 2 weeks.

Jac@stafford.net
29-Aug-2016, 10:40
Looking at your motorcycle I bet you are more meticulous than I.

That was long ago, before the accidents when I could still bend, lift and balance. :)
Now I gotta go. One, maybe two beers, two Ibuprofen, and a nap.

Luis-F-S
29-Aug-2016, 14:22

Ok, how about some photos of the nicely restored and painted in it's current state? I'll have to make due with my 8x10 De Vere for the time being. L

Jim C.
29-Aug-2016, 19:04
Congrats on the score Randy, a quick question about your Saltzman since it's apart, what's the
measurement of the opening above the cropping blades and the opening
below where the negative carrier would slide into ?

Tin Can
29-Aug-2016, 19:30
Congrats on the score Randy, a quick question about your Saltzman since it's apart, what's the
measurement of the opening above the cropping blades and the opening
below where the negative carrier would slide into ?

Above neg stage at the light source openning is 12X12" with 4 notches sticking out to hold the lamp box, I don't need them. But i wont cut them off until they get in the way.

The masking blades are below the neg holder and are max opening of 10-3/8 XY.

The rotating carrier is exact 8x10 and rotates!

Included is something that fits right in the carrier slot, but doesn't rotate and has several ridges for glass. The inside dim is 9-3/8x11-1/2.

The top round casting is 20" OD and could be a platform for an extension to 11x14.

Jim C.
29-Aug-2016, 20:07
Thanks Randy !

Tin Can
29-Aug-2016, 22:01
It needs 16 ft of 415H chain for the upper loop and 7 feet for the bottom.

The upper old chain was rusty and severely kinked, the bottom is fine, but chain comes in 10 ft rolls so, do the right thing.

Tin Can
31-Aug-2016, 11:49
None of this is for people without experience working with HEAVY metal. I did this sort of thing all my life.

I now know a lot more about how to move it.

Take it apart.

All bolts are torqued correctly, meaning not insanely tight.

Mine was 3 parts already. Bottom base, top cast iron base and tube with camera. Heads/lenses separate.

I didn't need to do this but I think it would be best to remove the cast iron base and tube as one piece AFTER camera removal from cast iron top table GENTLY tip the whole tube onto a grassy knoll. Uphill for the top, letting the cast iron base stay on table until the top has landed.

The camera itself with the 2 pipes one able person can handle. It removes by 4 bolts and a 3/4" combo wrench. A small set of SAE Hex keys, takes out the lens focus setscrew making the whole camera come right off, maybe 1/16". Maybe not. Have a set.

If the lead weights are are still inside, may as well take them out, which you would need to do later for inspection. On mine that removed 140lbs of shifting weight. A small vise grip and two-7/16 combo wrenches release the 2 chain ends. A 0.125" pin punch or 1/8" nail helps. Then just pull the whole top chain out. 1/2" combo wrench loosens the primary focus rod top clamp, tap it towards the tube middle an inch and now the 4 bolts holding the pulley cap are removed with a 9/16" socket, extension and ratchet.. Then start removing all 20lb weights. Top or bottom. A 8'-2x4 is handy for that with a big hammer.

The sliding carriage is aluminum and weighs very little. Slide it off. It's fragile.

The tube is moveable by one weakling like me at top and a strong guy at bottom. The cast iron tube base is heavy, but not impossible.

Two 8'- 2x4's put in each end make it way easier to move. Good jack stands are handy.

All bolts on this were not over-tightened and most looked untouched. Somebody had removed the camera assembly once before.

Now cleaning partsand waiting for new chain.

Those stupid ads that popped up as I searched for best chain and price, led me to the best of both. Go figure.

neil poulsen
1-Sep-2016, 06:26
Duly noted.

My brother has 8 toes, we believe the dog ate them after he cut them off with a lawnmower.

That's terrible! :eek:

Tin Can
1-Sep-2016, 06:36
That's terrible! :eek:

We saw much worse on our 7 house dead end road.

MrFujicaman
21-Sep-2016, 09:10
Randy, I'd like to thank you for a laugh. When I saw "Incoming Saltzman" I had a mental image of a giant catapult flinging 8 by 10 Saltzman enlargers at your house...

Tin Can
21-Sep-2016, 09:23
Randy, I'd like to thank you for a laugh. When I saw "Incoming Saltzman" I had a mental image of a giant catapult flinging 8 by 10 Saltzman enlargers at your house...

I think it looks like a rocket launcher right now.

Amedeus
15-Dec-2016, 13:01
Hi Randy,

Thanks for posting ... been reading this with interest and will be following this.

I acquired two Saltzman for my firehouse/darkroom project and both need some work.

The first one we moved by taking it apart and loading it in a truck. Took 3 young guys and me. Rolling it up the ramp was the hard part. Unloading by three 55+ was a piece of cake. Never removed the weights in the column. This particular unit didn't have the table anymore but came with a 4x8 ft steel structure with a 3/4" glass top ... that contraption is almost as heavy as the whole enlarger. Combined, about 1500 lbs.

The second one has the original stand and table but will need a new baseboard, no big deal. That one we moved in a wood structure (2x4's) and six wheels. Got smart this time and used a truck with lift gate. Only takes two guys to do the riding and maneuvering ... actually, piece of cake to load and unload.

Looking forward to install those once the space for the darkroom(s) is ready.

Love the process !

Rudi A.

Tin Can
15-Dec-2016, 13:23
I have stalled on reassembly. It was such nice weather until recently I spent most of my time outside.

Soon I will post progress.

Would love to see any snaps of your Saltzmen. I pluralized... LOL