PDA

View Full Version : strong economy tripod?

David Van Gosen
22-Apr-2005, 17:38
I've just acquired a really clean Burke & James Orbit 8x10 field camera. It's the same as an aluminum Calumet C1. My current tripod is only rated to thirteen pounds. Are there any economical tripods that can hold twenty pounds or so? I see a few surveyor's tripods on eBay. Would one of them be strong enough? I know I'd have to adapt the threads. I'm spending enough on the camera, lens and film holders, so a new Ries isn't an option at the moment. I'm not too concerned about weight, either.

Thanks, David

tribby
22-Apr-2005, 18:34
look for a used bogen 3058...

got mine at mpex,

me

Andre Noble
22-Apr-2005, 19:09
Better to wait for a strong economy, then buy a Gitzo CF.

Alan Davenport
22-Apr-2005, 19:10
Some of the surveyor's tripods will do a fantastic job. You will have to spend some time tinkering with getting a camera tripod head on it, as the threads will not match. You might check Home Depot, Lowe's, etc. Sears has an aluminum contractor's tripod for about $70 that might be worth looking at.

You'll have to modify a contractor/surveyor tripod to accept a camera head, as the threads will not match.

Mike Davis
22-Apr-2005, 19:23
The Belebach 3032 should work. It's not as cheap as the surveyors tripods though.

Dave Moeller
22-Apr-2005, 20:36
I use the Berlebach 3032 with my Calumet C1. With an APO-Nikkor 480mm f/9 process lens, Packard shutter, and film holder all in place, the camera doesn't even begin to tax the capabilities of the tripod.

Bruce Batchelor
22-Apr-2005, 23:54
I bought a rock-solid surveyors tripod at a specialty shop and put a Manfroto 3029 on top. This will hold more than 20 pounds and does not jiggle. It really is not very heavy either. The tripod has mean clawed feet that will not slip, and for indoor work you can take some heavy 1/2" foam padding. Total cost $US less than $200.

Nick_3536
23-Apr-2005, 04:05
Giottos 9180 is rated at 26 pounds. About $160 or so US. Even has a built in head.

David Van Gosen
23-Apr-2005, 06:47
Thanks for all the help.

I'll figure something out in the next week or so.

David Richhart
23-Apr-2005, 09:26
If weight is not a problem, you can probably find a decent Majestic tripod on Ebay in the $100 range. With the large geared head it an extremely steady machine.

Scott Fleming
23-Apr-2005, 10:26
Make me an offer on my Bogen 3236. Geared center column. Goes to something like 7'. Built like a tank. Weighs about 10 lbs. Three leg sections. Leveling bubble. Convertible feet. 9++ condition.

I can't remember what it's rated at but its way up there. And I even have a carrying bag for it.

Donald Qualls
23-Apr-2005, 19:32
Porter Cable makes a very heavy duty aluminum contractor's tripod (also sold with a laser level setup) that has a 1/4-20 screw instead of the 5/8-11 that are common on surveying tripods. I have one, and I'm certain it would easily hold a 30 pound camera, if the mounting socket is reasonably close to the camera's center of mass. The legs have about a 2:1 length adjustment, and can be disengaged to splay out almost flat (though they may not hold on smooth, hard surfaces in that position), and the rubber feet are spike shaped so they grip well on soft ground but don't mark floors. Main drawback is height -- it's not much over 54 inches, if even that, and there's no center column (not that you want one with a heavy camera).

This tripod doesn't include any kind of tilt/swivel feature, but it's also only about $160.

David Van Gosen
25-Apr-2005, 11:50
I just got a used Bogen 3040 with 3047 head for $102 via eBay. I'm told that this will be strong enough for my camera - it sure looks like it.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Jim Galli
25-Apr-2005, 14:30
David, The 3040 is probably fine but the 3047 will never survive a C1. I beat mine to death with similar extravagances. I glued that foam stuff that goes around your pipes to keep them from freezing onto all three handles so i could put some serious crank on the friction stops. If anything can survive a trip to the ground, the 810 Orbit can I suppose. Wear steel toed shoes.

Andre beat me to it: Strong economy buy a RIES,
Weak economy, buy a Bogen.

David Van Gosen
26-Apr-2005, 07:14
Jim,

You're right; Bogen says the 3047 is only good to 7.5 kg (16.6 lb). I guess now I'm looking for a larger head. At least I got a good deal on the legs.

Thanks, David