PDA

View Full Version : Need info on 5x7 carrier for Eastman Enlarger

Rael
11-Aug-2016, 16:14
I picked up one of these beasts for free, but I'm having a tough time figuring out if it's missing parts. One I know I need is a film carrier.

djdister
11-Aug-2016, 18:34
The 5x7 glass negative carrier looks like this:

153742 153743

It came from an Eastman 5x7 Auto Focus enlarger, Model C. The top sheet of glass is not attached or hinged, it just sits on top of the negative. The bottom piece is fixed in the frame.

Rael
12-Aug-2016, 04:34
Yes, negative carrier, need more coffee. Thank you! Immensely helpful. Do you happen to know if there was any sort of diffusion glass between the bulb and the negative carrier? This thread should probably be moved.

djdister
12-Aug-2016, 04:59
Yes, there were two sheets of glass, if I remember correctly, one of them frosted, one not, that sits between the bulb and the negative carrier.

Rael
12-Aug-2016, 05:16
I did find an old thread of you holding that bit of glass, and it looked like it was frosted more heavily in the center to deal with the hotspot.

djdister
12-Aug-2016, 05:26
I did find an old thread of you holding that bit of glass, and it looked like it was frosted more heavily in the center to deal with the hotspot.

Yes, that is correct.

Oren Grad
12-Aug-2016, 07:23
This thread should probably be moved.

Done!

Rael
12-Aug-2016, 18:17
The version I have doesn't look like it has a fine focus adjustment of any sort. There is the L-shaped lever and that's it. It does seem to adjust, but I don't have the easel for it, so I am not sure what height it thinks it needs to be at in order to autofocus. The bulb still works, amazingly enough. The inside silvering looks to be intact. There's no glass. It also doesn't have a model number on it. Just a plate with a serial number and the words "Eastman Auto-Focus Enlarger"

There is also what appears to be some kind of orange flapper inside the bellows that has an external wire handle that allows you to drop the orange thing onto the back of the lens.

djdister
12-Aug-2016, 19:26
Here are some reference photos:

This one was a Model C

Nothing fancy about the easel, made of 1/2 plywood that sits on the cast iron base

With the lamphead off, this shows where the diffusing glass sits above the negative stage. The serial number and lens number was handwritten in pencil in the bottom left.

The L shaped handle will move the whole assembly head up/down the column, while the round knurled knobs at the back adjust (and lock) the fine focus adjustment

And I'm guessing that the orange flapper was a safelight/focusing doohickey so that you could focus on the enlarging paper without exposing it, although my enlarger did not have that.

Rael
13-Aug-2016, 09:00
Ah. Mine must be earlier. It's lacking the knurled knobs and find focus. Mine looks quite a bit different.

Let's see if this works:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30768704@N03/shares/9CK9M9

djdister
13-Aug-2016, 09:27
Okay, a couple more photos of the Model C:

Showing where the negative carrier slides in - does your look the same?

The standard lens for this enlarger, a 7 1/2" Anastigmat

There do seem to be one or two identification plates on your enlarger - could you take a snap of that?

Rael
13-Aug-2016, 09:36
My lens is similar -- but it says No. 33 on it as well. Here's the plate:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30768704@N03/shares/5v03b8

Negative carrier looks very similar. just a lip that something like your "pizza paddle" negative carrier slides into.

djdister
13-Aug-2016, 09:53
My lens is similar -- but it says No. 33 on it as well. Here's the plate:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30768704@N03/shares/5v03b8

Negative carrier looks very similar. just a lip that something like your "pizza paddle" negative carrier slides into.

Wow, you definitely have the first version made, not even a Model A, B or C...

Rael
13-Aug-2016, 12:47
Wow, you definitely have the first version made, not even a Model A, B or C...

Yes, so you can see how I'm not exactly sure how to focus it. :) Maybe the original had an adjustable baseboard?