PDA

View Full Version : processes for kids

fralexis
10-Aug-2016, 04:53
I do a lot of work with kids and have always wanted to do something with film photography. I am thinking that perhaps pin hole would be good, but perhaps something else might be better. Any ideas on what sort of camera might be suited for groups of kids. Also, what process would you recommend for a group of kids with extremely limited possibilities for a darkroom or chemicals?

Thanks.

Ted R
10-Aug-2016, 07:23
Photographic processing chemicals are poisonous, I suggest looking at "instant film" possibilities.

LabRat
10-Aug-2016, 07:33
Too bad that POP paper for making sun prints is not around anymore... It would be fun to make a red plexi box camera, so they can watch the image build-up on the paper inside...

Steve K

jp
10-Aug-2016, 07:46
I'd not suggest instant film. The chemicals in the peel-apart are kinda unpleasant to leave on your fingers or clothes.

Sun print paper is still around, and cyanotypes are easy to make and safe if using the traditional process. Photograms are fun if you have darkroom but can be done with cyanotypes as well. For silver pinhole, a paint can makes a good camera.

Oren Grad
10-Aug-2016, 08:05
At this point the only instant film that's both widely available at retail outlets and not very expensive is Fuji Instax (Mini and Wide), which is an integral film - no peel-apart.

For more of a taste of participating in a craft while keeping safety concerns to a minimum, cyanotype with commercially-available pre-coated paper is the obvious possibility.

Nodda Duma
10-Aug-2016, 08:55
Too bad that POP paper for making sun prints is not around anymore... It would be fun to make a red plexi box camera, so they can watch the image build-up on the paper inside...

Steve K

You can still get sun prints

http://www.sunprints.org

Vaughn
10-Aug-2016, 09:09
I have taught photo to kids. These were two-week summer classes, 4hrs/day, 4 days/week.

For the older kids (about 8 to 18 yrs): The first day we made pinhole cameras out of boxes of 250 sheet 8x10 photopaper (one per kid). We used 8x10 sheets of litho film (can be loaded and processes under red safelight) for the negatives that first day to get the feel of the cameras and exposure times. The second day was all photographing and processing the litho film. The third day was making cyanotypes that they had hand-coated. The fourth day was making both negs and prints.

Once I did buy some cyanotype pre-coated 'sheets' of cloth -- eventually made into a sort of a prayer flag (all cloths tied to a rope).

The second week was film cameras (35mm loaded with Ilford XP2). One day to photograph, then film processed and ready for silver printing by the second day -- then print for the remainder of the time.

With a limited darkroom, the pinhole-cyanotype route seems the best for you. The chemicals are pretty mellow as far as photochemicals go. Aprons and gloves -- and good supervision while coating the paper -- is all that is needed. If the chemicals for processing the litho negatives is a bit much for the age-group, they could be quickly processed by a couple adults in a darkened rooms as the kids return from making their exposures.

jnantz
10-Aug-2016, 09:55
You can still get sun prints

http://www.sunprints.org

that's pre-coated "classic" cyanotype paper.
not quite the same as POP paper ...

POP paper is still available
http://www.altphotoproducts.com
its a collodio chloride paper ( aristotype ).

stawastawa
10-Aug-2016, 22:35
make sure the darkoom is well ventilated, that they are not eating or drinking, and that they wear gloves!

Bernard_L
11-Aug-2016, 00:15
Lumen prints. Limited subjects (flowers, leaves). Can make use of outdated paper. Kids can see the result (in subdued light) without using any chemicals; then supervisor can fix them.

With a limited darkroom, the pinhole-cyanotype route seems the best for you.
I strongly doubt that cyanotype is sensitive enough to work in a pinhole camera.

Wayne
11-Aug-2016, 05:44
Anthotypes.

jnantz
11-Aug-2016, 06:24
Lumen prints. Limited subjects (flowers, leaves). Can make use of outdated paper. Kids can see the result (in subdued light) without using any chemicals; then supervisor can fix them.

I strongly doubt that cyanotype is sensitive enough to work in a pinhole camera.

cyanotypes can work in a pinhole camera but it takes hours, not minutes to expose. with a regular lens, a long long time too.
regular photopaper left in a camera with a lens wide open ( not pinhole ) also records an image
(retina print ) but it also takes between 40 mins and 12 hours .. the problems with lumen prints and retina prints
and in camera cyanotypes ( from my own experinece doing workshops with kids ) is there is too much
standing around time waiting for the long process to end. classic cyanotypes take minutes, and cyanotype photograms
are a blast to do with kids ( i do them with a local grammar school's art class ) ... just bring a sack or box full of
junk you can use on the paper or have the kids draw things on acetate and use the clear film as a negative.
i believe you can buy pre-made stock art stencils from lumi... tailings from "classic" cyanotype from what i was told at "sun print/org " are iron complexes
and the state of california says it is safe for kids ( i guess they are super strict in cali ).
and lumi ( inkodye ) paints ( available at art stores or online at their store ) are derrived from cassava root and totally non toxic and a fun photographic process.
you can print negatives, stencils ( you name it ). it needs to painted on something that can be washed ( like fabric ) and it changes color in the sun and washes,
they have a whole website full of ideas and stencils ( or you can turn any picture into high contrast and have a xerox machine or printer ( ink or laser )
turn it into a stencil .. can be done with cyanotypes too ).

Vaughn
11-Aug-2016, 09:39
...I strongly doubt that cyanotype is sensitive enough to work in a pinhole camera.

Not suggesting that (but there is a cyanotype process that does have enough speed for in-camera use). To be more precise...pinhole w/ litho film, then cyanotypes.

Fr. Mark
11-Aug-2016, 21:22
Not all developers are poisonous. But wearing gloves is a good idea. Seems to me Ed Buffaloe?? On unblinking eye had some articles on less toxic film/paper processing.

I did a pinhole camera class at the Smithsonian in 1977. We used pinhole cameras about cigar box sized and taped 4x5 pieces of printing paper in them. First several classes were on camera making then had classes where we took pictures on the mall and developed them then made contact prints---maybe the contact prints were
Done by turning room lights on and off, I'm not sure. I've done that with Azo paper and dense negatives in recent times.

http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/VitC/vitc.html

Patrick Gainer

Tim Meisburger
12-Aug-2016, 06:31
Almost any big closet can be a darkroom, as long as you have a portable red lamp. To me, what would be interesting for kids is a simple sliding box camera with a magnifying glass lens.

Predetermine focus for the camera on a particular spot and mark the camera position on a table. Load the back of the box with a 4x5 sheet of photo paper in the "darkroom". Set the camera in place on the table and take an image of the student(s). Back to the closet where you have some developer, stop and fix in trays. Develop the image in from of the kids. Explain negative. Then make a contact print using the closet light. The whole photographic process!

ShannonG
16-Aug-2016, 15:07
I do a class ,mostly older high school kids(and a few adults). we start out with showing them how to use a film camera (most of them have no idea)we use a K100 for this,next class is film development ,then intro to printing (with photograms) then some printing classes.They have the option to keep going after that to get better at printing.we have been using my darkroom for this. Yup all safety gear is used,gloves and eye ware and ventilators(if needed).the students have been liking it so far,fun to see there face light up when they see there first print appear in the developer.
I suggest doing a demo so they know what they are getting into and ask them what there goals are,if there are committed then go from there.have fun.

W K Longcor
17-Aug-2016, 09:09
Photographic processing chemicals are poisonous, I suggest looking at "instant film" possibilities.
Isn't it a shame that our world has gotten so fearful. With proper training (adult supervision) why shouldn't children be allowed the joy of watching an image emerge in the developer? I was developing my own prints at age eight. By age ten I developed my own film, too. By age twenty, (ok, not a child by then) I mixed my own solutions from raw chemicals. I am almost 70, and have not poisoned myself yet. Teach a child proper chemical handing methods, and there is nothing to fear, and much to be learned.

koraks
17-Aug-2016, 09:13
Amen to that. Common sense is a much more valuable lesson than abstract fear.

stawastawa
17-Aug-2016, 09:55
Isn't it a shame that our world has gotten so fearful. With proper training (adult supervision) why shouldn't children be allowed the joy of watching an image emerge in the developer? I was developing my own prints at age eight. By age ten I developed my own film, too. By age twenty, (ok, not a child by then) I mixed my own solutions from raw chemicals. I am almost 70, and have not poisoned myself yet. Teach a child proper chemical handing methods, and there is nothing to fear, and much to be learned.

Indeed, and do the learning with the least harmful chemicals. there are good resources out there to help you decide what to use.
Learning the hazards and how to eliminate them is a priceless lesson and lifelong skill.