PDA

View Full Version : Toyo rotating back on a Speed Graphic?

tpatterson
9-Aug-2016, 07:09
Is there anyone that has adapted a rotating back to the Speed Graphic? I shoot with the Aero Ektar lens, and noticed one that belonged to someone else which was fitted with a Toyo rotating back. It appears to have no loss in image quality. Has anyone done this kind of conversion? If so, what is needed?

Pics included are of the one I saw. Thanks for any input!153682153683

IanG
9-Aug-2016, 07:37
It can't be done because of the top/bottom areas that hpose the shutter blind rollers, you could fit a back but in Portrait mode these would crop the top and bottom of the image.

You could adapt a Crown Graphicwhich would need new square bellows and some internal modification. That's not a Speed Graphic in the photo's it's got no shutter mechanism on the side. I'm in the middle of swapping bellows on a pre-Anniversary Speed Graphic as I write and put new bellows on a Pacemacer Speed Graphic a few days ago. I had a Cambo back and looked at doing this a few years ago.

Ian

tpatterson
9-Aug-2016, 09:17
I was thinking that as well. Here's a side view as well. 153684

IanG
9-Aug-2016, 09:32
Well that's surpising : D However there's no benefits as you'd have a 4x4 inch image in portrait mode.

Ian

tpatterson
25-Sep-2016, 22:27
Interesting...tried it anyway and from what I can tell so far, it's pretty much full coverage of the frame. Shooting tomorrow to see for sure. The only spot might be the very tip of the corner, but if that's all I lose...I'm very happy. We shall see :) 155544