PDA

View Full Version : First Camera

jesse1996
7-Aug-2016, 19:22
Im about to make the leap from using my friend's 4x5 to purchasing my own 4x5 (decided against 8x10 for now) here by the end of the year. Im thinking a budget of around $1200, maybe a little over if its a superb deal. Ive kinda fallen in love with the Shen Hao HZX iiA, however I've also seen a really nice Zone VI though i don't know which model other than the number "05345" for $1200, an ebony RW45 4x5 for $900 which seems like an amazing deal considering the company, as well as a Tachihara 4x5 superwide for $750.
I need a few movements for city shots, tighter landscapes like waterfalls, forests, gardens, and maybe portraits. Does anyone have any recommendations for my price range? Im up for wooden folding or metal cameras (ideally no brass though since i plan on visiting the coast in the near future)

Thanks in advance!

also taking free camera donations! (25% kidding)

Light Guru
7-Aug-2016, 19:39
I love my Shen Hao HZX iiA

Is your 1200 budget just for the camera or also for the lenses?

Alan Gales
7-Aug-2016, 19:59
I've seen some of the cheaper used Shen Hao cameras go for as low as $700 on Ebay. I've seen used Chamonix's go for close to the $800 mark. I'd rather pay more for a Chamonix but that is my preference.

For metal cameras look at Toyo and Wista. Both are fine cameras but heavier than the wooden field cameras.

I don't know what a Tachihara "Super Wide" is. I owned a 4x5 Tachihara and the widest lens it took was a 65mm. My Tachi had a really bright screen and was super light weight. It was also very pretty. The downside being that it was not as sturdy as a Shen Hao or Chamonix. I sold it after I moved up to 8x10.

Two23
7-Aug-2016, 20:28
I had a Shen Hao, and it's a good camera. Now have a Chamonix 045n. I buy all my gear used.

Kent in SD

Jeff Keller
7-Aug-2016, 21:03
You could probably get a used Canham DLC45 for less than $1200. They have ample movements even with fairly short lenses. They fold up into a nice small package and are fairly light.

You could probably get a used Sinar Norma for $600 or less. To get it into a small package you would probably want to move both front and rear standards onto a short extension rail. You can get Sinar accessories to accomplish almost anything you could want to.

Good luck deciding, jeff

Drew Bedo
8-Aug-2016, 05:12
Whatever you do, don't over-think your decision, at some point you should jump in. Be smart about your decision, sure, but don't dither.

The most important thing is to jump in and do LF photography. This will not be the last camera you buy or the only camera you own—just ask anyone here.

jesse1996
8-Aug-2016, 20:31
I love my Shen Hao HZX iiA

Is your 1200 budget just for the camera or also for the lenses?

just the camera, I'm thinking ill get a good normal lens then expand to maybe a longer lens for further objects i can't get to

Alan Gales
8-Aug-2016, 21:39
just the camera, I'm thinking ill get a good normal lens then expand to maybe a longer lens for further objects i can't get to

You can buy a brand new Chamonix within your budget then. Look at F1 and N2.

http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/045F1.html

Normally, I recommend buying used but used Chamonix cameras don't turn up often and when they do they hold their value really well.

Luis-F-S
9-Aug-2016, 08:05
For $1200 you can probably find a Deardorff V5 and then you'd have a real 5x7 camera which also takes a 4x5 back. Best thing is you'd always get your money out of it if you decide to sell it. L

jesse1996
9-Aug-2016, 22:05
update: any suggestions that could handle colder mountain weather along with beaches in the south and north! a lot to ask i know