PDA

View Full Version : Repairing a Betax no 2 shutter

Richard Årlin
21-Apr-2005, 11:00
Got the cutest little Wollensak extreme wideangle f.12.5 in a Betax 2 shutter, working but inconsistent, is there a scanned manual around ?

Richard Årlin
21-Apr-2005, 11:23
And was there ever a no 1, must have been dimunitive !

Dan Dozer
21-Apr-2005, 16:31
Hi Richard,

While I don't have a manual, I do have a Wollensak lens in the same Betax 2 shutter. I got the lens/shutter in with a bunch of others a couple of years ago on Ebay. This lens (3 1/2" Series VII f3.5) was the only one that didn't cover 4 x 5. I'ts image circle is only a little over 3". To bad, because both the lens and shutter are in pretty good condition. The shutter speeds aren't exactly what they are supposed to be, but they appear to be pretty consistant (I've tested them on a shutter tester).

Anyway, the lens and shutter are of no use to me. I doubt I could get much trying to sell them back on Ebay, so you're welcome to have them if you want? Send me an E-mail of you're interested.

Dan Dozer

Paul Fitzgerald
21-Apr-2005, 18:53
Hi there,

No manual is really needed, Betax is about the simplest shutter to service. If you feel comfortable doing them, just keep notes.

Have fun with the E.W.A.

Richard Årlin
22-Apr-2005, 00:11
Paul,

you mean there is no risk in carefully opening the shutter...2 screws on the front panel, just to have a peak inside to determine status ? I have several other lenses for 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10 but I could not resist this little gem adding no weight to my gear and folding with the camera.

Paul Fitzgerald
22-Apr-2005, 09:23
Hi Richard,

Yes, just be careful and use the proper size screw drivers.

2 screws to take the faceplate off.

4 screws to take the front cover off, mark the screws to the plate, different lengths.

Inspect the works, they are very simple. If you want to go further, take notes or use a digi-cam step-by-step. An ice cube tray is good to keep everything seperate but arranged.

Take your time fitting the front cover plate back on and test the lever action as you tighten the screws.

Take your time and have fun.

Richard Årlin
22-Apr-2005, 13:09
Good advise I am sure...those tiny little screws. I have not tried it yet but I noticed how it behaved when I tightened them in the first place since the front cover was not really flush with the works. But I know at least two watchmakers who have a total mess on their benches, not to speak of myself. I'll let you know how it proceeds...and thanx

Richard Årlin
23-Apr-2005, 02:58
I just opened the shutter following your advise. All parts seem to be in perfect shape, just the collected grime. However there are a number of them, tiny little bits and pieces. I am confident a CLA by Grimes would do the job to get it back in working order. Thanks for your help