PDA

View Full Version : packard shutter size

John Berry ( Roadkill )
20-Apr-2005, 01:05
This is in regards to my post "Barrel lenses". These lenses are quite large 100 and 110mm across the rear elements. I want to use a single packard shutter for both lenses, but a 4" shutter is 7" across O.D. I would like to put a shutter behind a 6" lensboard. These will cover 20X24 and be used on 8X10. They are 420 & 480-830 5.6 FL. The thought is, not only a smaller shutter, but also to cut down on bellows flair some. I will still use a Lee shade. I don't think it will cut into the image, and using small apatures as I would be for landscape, would not affect exposure. I intend to make collarl to go around the lens barrels to attatch my monopod to support the front of the lens. So I think I have that concern covered. Is my thinkin ok, or is this just a brain fart?
Thanks, John

Bob Fowler
20-Apr-2005, 08:22
Hey John, OK, a 7" packard won't fit behind a 6" lensboard. ou want to use a Lee shade, so mounting the Packard in front isn't an option. What to do?

Build a box lensboard. It's basically a larger box that holds the Packard that's attached to a standard lensboard, you then mount the lens on the front of the box. I did this because I didn't want to alter my 90 year old 5X7 Eastman when I mounted a Packard for my 14" Artar. I have a complete description with pix on my web site. You can see and read how I did it here:

http://mysite.verizon.net/fowler/photo/packard2.htm

John Berry ( Roadkill )
20-Apr-2005, 09:46
Thanks Bob, John

John Berry ( Roadkill )
20-Apr-2005, 09:50
Just looked at the site. I meant to say THANKS. John

Dan Dozer
20-Apr-2005, 10:01
Hi John,

I don't know much about the Lee system so I can't really comment on that, but I have a similar problem I'm dealing with right now. I have a "late model" Cooke lens that is pretty big and heavy that I want to try using on my 8 x 10. Trouble is that the size of the lens would require a Packard shutter bigger than the 6" camera lens board. I've thought about ways to easily mount a large Packard shutter on the front of the lens. My first problem is that the front rim of the lens has a large dent, so I can't screw in anything to it. However, the lens has a fairly deep front rim (about 7/8"), so I thought I might be able to design something to slip on over the outside rim of the lens. I thougth about trying to use a big round piece of foam piping insulation at Home Depot - you know the black stuff that is about 1/2" thick that they insulate hot water pipes with. I don't know if this would be light tight or not. I figured that I could glue on a board to the front of it and mount a large packard shutter to that. Problem with that approach is that it is only good for that lens and any other lenses would require a separate Packard shutter. Sounds like we're both thinking in the same direction.

If you are good in the workshop, you might try Bob's suggestion. I've done that on a smaller camera and it works well. Only problem is that it is much more involved and takes more time.

Bob - It was good to see your photos of the lens box you built - I did a similar thing as well. I also have the 5 x 7 Eastman and fought for a while with the problem of the small lens board issue. I made a lens box for it, but for some reason, it never occurred to me that I should make it with the front board removable so I could use mulitple lenses on it (why didn't I think of that).

John Berry ( Roadkill )
21-Apr-2005, 00:11
What you built was about what I would have ended up with, except for the interchangable front board. I would have made another reciever like the one the box mounts onto. Thanks for showing me a much better way to use different lenses on it.John

Bob Fowler
21-Apr-2005, 18:45
Yeah, it works pretty well on the 5X7.

I just got a 17" f/10 Ektanon that I'm going to use on my 8X10 Century 4a studio camera. Trouble is, I only have about 18 inches of bellows draw, so I'll be making a very extended box lensboard for that one - about 9 inches! I just need to find the appropriate Packard for this lens.

It's not as bad as it sounds, the 4a has no front movements and the front standard could hold up my 3/4 ton GMC van...