PDA

View Full Version : Bulb replacement (with LED?) for LPL 4x5 Enlarger

Pollywog
29-Jul-2016, 21:15
I have an old LPL enlarger diffusion modular enlarger (model 7452) that I had just installed in my recently built darkroom.

Though it is going to be awhile till I do the routine alignment test, I need help and thoughts on bulb replacement.

Currently, it utilise the EVW 82V 250W Lamp bulb, which is similar to this:
http://www.replacementlightbulbs.com/lampevw.html

As expected, my old bulb could not survive more than few minutes before it gone dead.

I am looking for its replacement, hopefully with the current LED bulb.

It has been awhile since I last dabble with lighting fixture...

I know in principle that one could use lower wattage bulb on fixtures with higher wattage (please do correct me if I am wrong here).

Just to throw in if anyone here have used LED lighting bulb as I wish to have cost effective, but efficient to do print works.

Cheers all.

Luis-F-S
30-Jul-2016, 08:43
Why? The halogen bulb is cheap n plentiful!

Tin Can
30-Jul-2016, 09:20
Heat?

Cost?

Reliability.

Consistent output over life.

I was converting Super Omega F to 120vac bulbs, but when I get back to it, I will convert to LED.

OP, I don't have the answer yet, and it's on backburner for me. Study, the answer is out there. :)

Ted R
30-Jul-2016, 09:31
I also have an LPL, I agree with the advantages for LED replacements, however when available (and I haven't come across these yet) they seem to cost a lot more than the tungsten originals, is it worth the time to find one when the original tungsten is so inexpensive?

I searched here https://www.superbrightleds.com/ without success. Please let us know if you find them.

Taija71A
30-Jul-2016, 09:41
Why? The halogen bulb is cheap n plentiful!

Exactly!
This is a perfect example of... "A Solution looking for a Problem to Solve?"

I know in principle that one could use lower wattage bulb on fixtures with higher wattage
(please do correct me if I am wrong here).

Based upon your indecision here...
Please just go with the Quartz Halogen replacement Lamp.

Luis-F-S
30-Jul-2016, 10:24
Heat?

Cost?

Reliability.

Consistent output over life.
Really? Don't invent problems that don't exist. I've never had cost or reliability issues with the Halogen, and I only have them in the LPL's & Deveres! Costs? I've bought mine on the web usually for next to nothing! You can either get the 250W or the 200W. I'd much rather print than have a "project".

Tin Can
30-Jul-2016, 10:36
Really? Don't invent problems that don't exist. I've never had cost or reliability issues with the Halogen, and I only have them in the LPL's & Deveres! Costs? I've bought mine on the web usually for next to nothing! You can either get the 250W or the 200W. I'd much rather print than have a "project".

Luis, each to their own, I never tell you what to do! :)

Taija71A
30-Jul-2016, 11:05

Agreed in full 110%. The Saunders/LPL 7452 is an 'Outstanding' Enlarger.
To say otherwise... Is just "Plain old stupid".

Tin Can
30-Jul-2016, 11:21
Lol

Pollywog
30-Jul-2016, 16:57
I agree on the availability of the old halogen are plentiful. Though I am running series of bulb burn outs every 10 minutes or so.

So it is unreliable on my enlarger. That's the problem I have right now.

The bulb, when I observe while on, they begin to cook & burn, or the transformer is at fault.

I assume that LED bulb replacement (with the same GU 5.3 foot) will work better in lasting whole lot longer than that.

As I am trying out several halogen bulbs, I took on upon myself to brave on trying an MR 16 spot light LED; 5W. daylight.

It seems to runs well, bright, no heat. and didn't burn out even after an hour leaving it on.

I have a tiny coffin size darkroom. So no heat emission from the enlarger does help.

So it does work, I hope the light could efficiently print.

Taija71A
30-Jul-2016, 17:15
Okay...

You have a problem with either your Lamphouse Module and/or Power Supply.
Therefore, please be guided accordingly. Thank-you!

Pollywog
30-Jul-2016, 17:32
I also have an LPL, I agree with the advantages for LED replacements, however when available (and I haven't come across these yet) they seem to cost a lot more than the tungsten originals, is it worth the time to find one when the original tungsten is so inexpensive?

I searched here https://www.superbrightleds.com/ without success. Please let us know if you find them.

I had managed to utilise this LED, and currently running without fault:

http://ap.opple.com/en/led-lamps/led-mr16/eco-max-mr16-1

MR16 GU5.3 AC/DC12 5W-50 857-24°

I agree these LED bulb costs a whole lot more than regular quartz halogen, but it doesn't do well when the original quartz halogen burns out every 10 minutes or so.

I do agree in tradition with most answered here is to stick with the original feature and not bother to dabble with what works in the first place, but as mentioned, I have to at this moment to get this contraption running.

I do not want to dabble with the transformer (yet) if the alternative and easier solution is by putting in an LED bulb instead, which I have a spare bulb for it.

Yes, the LED bulb works without changing any parts or meddle with the transformer, which I tried moments ago.

It is almost as bright, fires up fast, no heat. And I believe it will help with the utility bills :)

I was just curious if anyone here have ever used such bulb for their enlarger (which none had answered that yet) and could print just as well (in sense of efficiently does the same job) with the quartz halogen counterpart?

I guess I am just updating my enquiry...

Oren Grad
30-Jul-2016, 17:42
I do not want to dabble with the transformer (yet) if the alternative and easier solution is by putting in an LED bulb instead, which I have a spare bulb for it.

It may be easier, but if there is an electrical fault in your power supply or lamphouse it's certainly not safer. I would urge you to track down and repair the fault, and deal with LED-vs-halogen only once you are sure that your enlarger is working properly.

Luis-F-S
30-Jul-2016, 18:21
I've had the same bulb in my LPL 4550 XLG enlarger for about 2 years, and that bulb has a 50 hr life, so I suspect your problem is not in the bulb, but something else in your enlarger. I would suspect the transformer, I would try to get a reading of the transformer output with a meter. If the output is correct, then perhaps you got a bum batch of bulbs.

L

Geary Lyons
30-Jul-2016, 20:31
I am going strictly from memory. IIRC there is no transformer in the LPL 45xx power supply. It is a just smallish PC board with rectifiers, a regulator and a couple of pots to set the output. There are also the expected variety of capacitors and resistors. I had to repair mine and also a friends. On my board a cap was leaking and I replaced all of the caps. On my friend's, a rectifier went and took the voltage regulator with it. It was passing dirty VAC and taking out bulbs just as you describe. The caps are not high quality and, depending on the age of the unit, may be at or past end-of-life. Get a DVM or DMM and check the output voltage, as was previously recommended. Let us know the result Don't put a band-aid in place, fix the problem!!

Cheers,
Geary

Sal Santamaura
30-Jul-2016, 20:55
I had managed to utilise this LED, and currently running without fault:

http://ap.opple.com/en/led-lamps/led-mr16/eco-max-mr16-1

MR16 GU5.3 AC/DC12 5W-50 857-24°...In addition to the concerns others have posted, that unit has a CRI of only 80. Unless printing exclusively on graded paper, you'll need to perform testing to establish how the LED's spectrum affects filter performance. It's possible there may be contrasts unobtainable with that source.

Fred L
31-Jul-2016, 05:29
Don't see one for LPL enlargers and they're rather super spendy but I'd look at these if I was considering switching over to led illumination. They'd be especially useful for those using the Heiland split grade system.

http://heilandelectronic.de/led_devere_504_mk2

Tin Can
31-Jul-2016, 06:53
This thread belongs in DIY where it might gain strength.

Change is unsupported by traditionalists.

Taija71A
31-Jul-2016, 08:28
... Change is unsupported by traditionalists.

No One in this thread is necessarily against change (LED) -- 'In itself'.
However, when making suggestions... It is always 'prudent' to (first) consider your intended, target audience.

... If a direct 'Drop in' LED replacement were readily available...
... Or if the OP had a greater understanding of Electronics 101...

I 'personally' would be all for it -- Really!
--
But, "In the Meantime and In Between Time"...
I am quite sure that the OP would be 'More than Happy' -- To just first, get his Enlarger working 'properly'.

Thank-you!

Luis-F-S
31-Jul-2016, 09:24
Change is unsupported by traditionalists.

I don't think that's the case, I feel change is unsupported by something that works just fine as designed by the manufacturer! It's a great enlarger just as it is, without having to mess with it!

civich
31-Jul-2016, 13:47
This may be of interest. True, he's not just replacing a bulb, but the concept is well thought out and executed:

http://jbhphoto.com/blog/2016/07/02/leds-vc-printing/

Tin Can
31-Jul-2016, 14:02
This may be of interest. True, he's not just replacing a bulb, but the concept is well thought out and executed:

http://jbhphoto.com/blog/2016/07/02/leds-vc-printing/

Great project and excellent documentation.

I will build one.

Thank you!

Jac@stafford.net
31-Jul-2016, 14:04
I agree on the availability of the old halogen are plentiful. Though I am running series of bulb burn outs every 10 minutes or so.
[U]

Something is entirely wrong with your power supply or you are mishandling the halogen bulbs.

ic-racer
31-Jul-2016, 19:05
Something is entirely wrong with your power supply or you are mishandling the halogen bulbs.

Exactly! OP, pay attention to post #15.

Pollywog
1-Aug-2016, 07:24
Thank you for all the replies… currently I am following the advise to check the wiring with my multimeter on the enlarger and see that all the parts are in working good shape. So sad to say it is under the operating table dismantled and I am looking thoroughly all the wiring is in its place.
I just need to get this up and running to start working.

@ civich
That is an interesting site and I am downloading their file for further study and seems like a doable project. Thank you for the share.

Drew Wiley
1-Aug-2016, 09:10
I average over a decade per halogen enlarger bulb. But there are several reasons halogen bulbs can pop prematurely. 1) handling them with bare fingers, which
get oil on them; 2) unstable power supply or excessive voltage swings above rated value; 3) wrong burn position (most bulbs only work in one orientation or their
filaments go); 4) just plain junky bulbs, a rather common occurrence with the flood of cheapo Chinese imports these days. You get what you pay for, though you
do need to be cognizant of the opposite extreme, of certain specialty suppliers merely marking up routine bulbs clear to the moon.

Luis-F-S
1-Aug-2016, 11:33
I average over a decade per halogen enlarger bulb. You get what you pay for....

+1

junky bulbs, a rather common occurrence with the flood of cheapo Chinese imports....

Why I try to buy NOS bulbs on Ebay. When possible try to stay with US or Japanese made bulbs. As long as the contacts are not oxidized, and if they are, a little sandpaper cleans them up! L