PDA

View Full Version : CEO S. Bryant & Co Brass Lens

gary892
29-Jul-2016, 15:08
I recently acquired this S. Bryant brass lens.

I know nothing about it.

Would some one provide some information about it?

What size film will it cover?
Would this be a possible portrait lens?

approx. Value -best guess- I know the true value is what someone is willing to pay but I would like a guess anyway.

I am attaching two pictures of the lens.

Thanks for any information about the lens.

Gary

goamules
29-Jul-2016, 16:39
It's George Bryant, and importer and photography retail store in the 1800s. Boston, I believe, but you can google it.

We've changed the rules and don't give valuations any more. It's probably a remarked Darlot, looks to be about a 5 or 6 inch. Probably a petzval for a quarterplate camera. You can research what those go for on ebay. Bryant also imported Gasc & Charconnet, but yours looks like a Darlot. Here is a 14" G&C marked Bryant that I have.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/748/21849317800_218aa3479a_b.jpg

Steven Tribe
30-Jul-2016, 00:48
It's Geo. S. Bryant.

I havn't see this style engraving before, so a closer photo would be appreciated!
Most, if not all, of the Gasc et Charconnet lenses imported by Bryant have the shown engraving - which identifies them as being from G & C. The serial number I have seen on these appears to match the "French" sold lenses - somewhere between 28,000 and 33,000.
I am inclined to agree with Garrett about Darlot, who seems to accepted use of his name first in connection with B.French. Darlot often has a small simple stamped (A D) on the inside of flat sections of brass - just as Jamin did before him.
But measure the exact diameter of the front glass and I can look up in the catalogue summaries I have to see if it matches any of G & C Petzval series.

Two23
30-Jul-2016, 07:23
It will just barely cover 4x5, and there will be very heavy vignetting. I've been buying these small Petzvals and sending them to SK Grimes. I now have four 19th century lenses put into Nikon F mount and I use them on my Nikon D800E.

Kent in SD