PDA

View Full Version : Protar Question

AuditorOne
26-Jul-2016, 13:39
I have a 16 6/16 inch B&L Protar in a barrel that I currently using with my Graflex 4x5 RB Auto. Obviously it works fine as a long lens in that application.

My question though, what is the actual coverage for this lens, or at least what is the angle of coverage?

EDIT - I originally thought this may have been a dagor but I took the magnifying glass out and confirmed. Sorry for any confusion this may have caused.

Dan Fromm
26-Jul-2016, 13:44
It should.

AuditorOne
26-Jul-2016, 13:48
It should.

Thanks Dan. I was looking at the wrong lens. Sorry. See edit.

EdWorkman
26-Jul-2016, 14:26
There is lots of Protar information on the web
IIRC cameraeccentric has several years' of B&L catalogs

AuditorOne
26-Jul-2016, 15:21
Thanks, I'll try them.

I have been finding info but so far I am still confused.

I did however install the lens on my ROC Universal 8x10 and established that it easily covers 8x10. I guess I could dig around and see if I have a spare lens board for the 11x14 and give that a try.

AuditorOne
26-Jul-2016, 15:42
Great idea EdWorkman. After reviewing the 1928 B&L catalog on cameraeccentric.com I have the answer I needed.

When both cells are together at full aperture it will cover full plate (which is something I actually need.) At smaller stops it covers 8x10.

As a single cell it covers 10x12 wide open, or 12x16 closed down a bit.

Now I need to scare up a shutter for it eventually. Guess I'll get in touch with SK Grimes. For now the hat or the old Packard will just have to do.