PDA

View Full Version : Walker Titan?

FredrickSummers
20-Jul-2016, 08:21
I have never heard of Walker cameras or the Titan until today when once popped up on KEH. I searched and only find a few sample images (all of which are dead links) on here but nothing about them. All the information I can find is on their website (http://www.walkercameras.com/SF.html) or a YouTube video from "How its Made" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72eKejgO6eQ). I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing. They look neat, though not sure how I feel about a plastic camera, I could very well be wrong! It is concerning not even comments about them really though. Its also a little expensive compared to others.

Any comments or am I just missing a thread on them? Looks like the camera isn't made any more but the company (UK I think) may still be in business.

Thanks!

Bob Mann
20-Jul-2016, 08:43
Great camera, lots of movements with all stainless steel hardware. Safe to take into damp locations if that is your "thing" -

I had one for a while and would need to mention that it is on the heavy side for a 4x5, I found the ground glass spring to have a little less tension than I wanted - worked fine for regular holders, not so great at holding a Toyo roll film holder I had at the time. Also, it is held closed by a magnet, so I had to develop the habit of always locking the knobs so it would not open unexpectedly.

Find one at the right price ( I bought mine for around $1500 and later sold it for about the same ) and it would be a good camera to work with. Walker will still service these and is making other cameras - I think he makes the Ilford pinhole cameras.

Michael R
20-Jul-2016, 08:52
The company is still in business and Mike Walker is great to deal with. The camera you're referring to which is no longer made is the 4x5 Titan SF. The XL models are still being made.

While the SF had full (extensive) field camera movements, the XL non-folding models have fixed backs and limited extension, which makes them a little easier to use with wide lenses, but less flexible for longer lenses, and you'll have to decide if you can do without rear movements.

I owned a 4x5 Titan SF, and have no complaints about the usage of ABS. It makes the camera virtually indestructible, strong as hell, and essentially weatherproof. The downside is weight (it is not the lightest camera out there, but if you value solidity over light weight, it's great). It's a very robust build.

FredrickSummers
20-Jul-2016, 09:22
Great camera, lots of movements with all stainless steel hardware. Safe to take into damp locations if that is your "thing" -

I had one for a while and would need to mention that it is on the heavy side for a 4x5, I found the ground glass spring to have a little less tension than I wanted - worked fine for regular holders, not so great at holding a Toyo roll film holder I had at the time. Also, it is held closed by a magnet, so I had to develop the habit of always locking the knobs so it would not open unexpectedly.

Find one at the right price ( I bought mine for around $1500 and later sold it for about the same ) and it would be a good camera to work with. Walker will still service these and is making other cameras - I think he makes the Ilford pinhole cameras.

I do sometimes shoot in the rain, but not all that damp of a climate, though I shoot with very wide range of temperatures and various weather conditions, which is why I decided against a wooden camera. The Walker looks like a wooden camera (movements, style, etc) but is made out of ABS, which I find very neat. How rigid is it though (such as in wind, which I have a lot of) compared to wood and metal? I have my Horseman 45HD up for sale now and was looking at buying a Toyo 45A for more extension (I would ideally like 300mm at least to macro with my 150) and back movements. Thank you for the tips! What made you get rid of yours?

The company is still in business and Mike Walker is great to deal with. The camera you're referring to which is no longer made is the 4x5 Titan SF. The XL models are still being made.

While the SF had full (extensive) field camera movements, the XL non-folding models have fixed backs and limited extension, which makes them a little easier to use with wide lenses, but less flexible for longer lenses, and you'll have to decide if you can do without rear movements.

I owned a 4x5 Titan SF, and have no complaints about the usage of ABS. It makes the camera virtually indestructible, strong as hell, and essentially weatherproof. The downside is weight (it is not the lightest camera out there, but if you value solidity over light weight, it's great). It's a very robust build.

Thank you for the response. I can't tell from the site, but can the SF change to bag bellows? He sells them, but I cant find how or if the bellows can be changed (something I really liked about the Shen-Hao I have looked at).

What made you get rid of yours?

Michael R
20-Jul-2016, 09:43
Yes the SF can change to a bag bellows (I had the bag bellows for mine).

I sold mine because I went back to using a monorail, which I was more accustomed to. I guess over the years I had just become used to things like zero detents, scales etc. and I also like having the same movements on front and back.

David Karp
20-Jul-2016, 10:06
I have a 45SF too and really, really like it.

The camera is very rigid. The fit and finish is superb. I agree with all of the things mentioned above, except that I have never tried to use my Calumet slide-in roll film holder with the camera, so I have no comment on that.

The bellows pops out from the rear. You remove the back, release the bellows from the front standard, and pull it out the back. The bag bellows is a combination of bag and pleats. It works very well.

You can use up to a 450mm lens with the camera. To do that you rack it out almost all the way, tilt the front standards forward, and tilt the lens back to vertical.

And Mike Walker is a pleasure to deal with.

chris kleihege
20-Jul-2016, 10:42
I too use the 45Sf and it's simply the best 4x5 I've worked with. It is extremely rigid and the movements are quite precise. The integrated cover over the ground glass and the abs construction make it a very solid tool. I use it professionally on extended trips and never worry about the camera in the pack. I worry about the lenses and meter. The extra pound or what-have-you of weight is worth not having to worry about it being bounced around a bit.

It goes here www.caralinperu.com and here http://www.amheida.org rather frequently.

Peter De Smidt
20-Jul-2016, 11:34
I've been very happy with my Toyo AX, and I've been able to avoid "the other camera is better" syndrome for quite awhile, but I'd really like a Walker 45SF.

FredrickSummers
20-Jul-2016, 13:02
Thank you all for your replies, lots of very postive feedback, just odd that there really isn't anything about them around! What lens boards do they use? It looks like it may be the Linhof style, but I can't really tell.

@Peter De Smidt, I'm in a similar boat as I'm selling the 45HD as I don't use its advantages and want to utilize some things it doesn't do well. The 45A/AX/AII was at the top of my list until I saw this thing!

Edit, Linhof/Wista board, stumbled onto it on his site.

Damn this is tempting (even though its like 3 times more then I wanted to spend, lol)

David Karp
20-Jul-2016, 15:57
I have never regretted purchasing my Titan SF. Not for a moment.

Alan Gales
20-Jul-2016, 17:52
I have no practical experience but I read somewhere that after used in dusty conditions you can hose them off.

I've only read good things about Walker Titans.

David Karp
20-Jul-2016, 18:31
It is true. You can remove the bellows and wash the camera off in the sink.

chris kleihege
21-Jul-2016, 08:16
one last note, the camera has an optional wide angle recessed lens board that is very clever and easy to use. I use it with a 75 mm and it accommodates everything except a very extreme movement. The lens board swaps out much faster than a bag bellows and I think exposes the innards to a lot less dust.

Kirk Gittings
21-Jul-2016, 09:34
If I ever lose my Phillips for some reason and wanted a new camera I would likely by a Walker. I planned on buying one and met with him at a conference and loved the cameras-right up till a friend sold me his Phillips.

Christopher Barrett
21-Jul-2016, 10:44
Those really are damn cool looking cameras.

djdister
21-Jul-2016, 11:27
I have a Walker Titan SF 4x5 (that I bought from Michael R) and really appreciate the design, fit and finish, not to mention its near indestructability. Had some back and forth exchanges with Mike Walker too, and he is great to work with. Can't do that with many other cameras (not forgetting Keith Canham)...

mathomas
21-Jul-2016, 13:26
I just did a search on KEH and didn't get a hit, but I didn't try very hard. These things seem to be rare as hen's teeth. I've been kind of wanting one, but I think I might be going for the Arca Swiss F-Field (personal) grail.

Michael Dodd
21-Jul-2016, 16:11
There is one on the bay by a new york dealer.

David Karp
21-Jul-2016, 16:24
I just did a search on KEH and didn't get a hit, but I didn't try very hard. These things seem to be rare as hen's teeth. I've been kind of wanting one, but I think I might be going for the Arca Swiss F-Field (personal) grail.

There is some benefit to the ARCA. I don't have the Field. I have a 171 format Discovery with the expanding rail. It is a nice camera, and certainly there is an advantage in having a camera that can be converted to different formats by changing format frames and bellows. I have an old 5x7 ARCA A/B/C type rear format frame that works great with my Discovery, and someday I may have a Whole Plate back to put on there as well. It is nice that you can pop an ARCA out of your backpack and put it right on the tripod, no unfolding or any of that. Easy to leave a lens on the camera too.

Nevertheless, for some reason that I cannot really put my finger on, my Walker is my favorite view camera. It does fold up, which allows it to sit lower in your backpack, which does impact the way the load rides when you are hiking. I really, really, really like using the Walker.

That being said, I am not getting rid of the ARCA either.

mathomas
21-Jul-2016, 20:49
There is some benefit to the ARCA. I don't have the Field. I have a 171 format Discovery with the expanding rail. It is a nice camera, and certainly there is an advantage in having a camera that can be converted to different formats by changing format frames and bellows. I have an old 5x7 ARCA A/B/C type rear format frame that works great with my Discovery, and someday I may have a Whole Plate back to put on there as well. It is nice that you can pop an ARCA out of your backpack and put it right on the tripod, no unfolding or any of that. Easy to leave a lens on the camera too.

Nevertheless, for some reason that I cannot really put my finger on, my Walker is my favorite view camera. It does fold up, which allows it to sit lower in your backpack, which does impact the way the load rides when you are hiking. I really, really, really like using the Walker.

That being said, I am not getting rid of the ARCA either.

I have an older Arca Swiss F-Line Basic 171x171 that I basically am in love with. The only thing that could make it better would be that bit more portability. Hence the F-Field of dreams. I also have a Chamonix F1 for the "ultra light" experience, and I like it a lot, but it is on the opposite end of the spectrum from my AS when it comes to precision.

FredrickSummers
22-Jul-2016, 09:21

They sold it sometime yesterday. I do like those F-field but they are really pricy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StephenBatey
1-Aug-2016, 14:21
Sorry to be late to the party. I've also got a Titan SF, and despite being the heaviest of my 5x4s it's my favorite (compared to Wista DX and Canham DLC45). Very rigid, all the movements I need, easy to set up etc.

I got one of the last 10 made, and judging from the serial number that makes mine one of a thousand, so pretty rare probably. It seems that the company that moulded the ABS for him had a clear out and threw away his moulds, which would be too expensive to remake - hence no more Titan SFs for reasons outside the maker's control.

Mike Walker is great to deal with, as already mentioned.

charlesholland
31-Oct-2016, 13:47
I am looking for a field 4x5 that is very rigid and still not too heavy. It will get use with my betterlight scanning back and wide angle lens. I thought of a Walker titan xl. What are your opinions on this and a they available on the second hand market?

Jac@stafford.net
31-Oct-2016, 13:54
Do you need perspective movements? Really?

charlesholland
31-Oct-2016, 22:37
I don't (landscape) which is why I prefer a rigid back over one with movements.