PDA

View Full Version : Busted cable release socket question

Matthew Cromer
19-Apr-2005, 07:19
How tough is it to fix a broken cable release socket, or to replace a missing thread from a cable release socket?

There's a bargain lens I'm thinking of picking up if fixing this is relatively cheap and easy.

Gem Singer
19-Apr-2005, 08:05
Hi Matthew,

What brand and model shutter are you asking about? Some types of shutters have simple to replace cable release sockets and parts are available. Some aren't so easy.

Matthew Cromer
19-Apr-2005, 09:07
Single coated SA 90/8. Not sure which shutter, probably Synchro Compur.

Juergen Sattler
19-Apr-2005, 11:14
It is not very hard to replace that socket as long as you can find one - that's the issue. I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago and I had a hard time finding a socket that would fit. I finally got one from Flutot's Camera Repair (she CLAs all my lenses - great service, by the way), but I had to still grind it down to make it a right fit. Does anyone have a source for these type of spare parts?

Gem Singer
19-Apr-2005, 11:16
A techician can probably replace the cable release socket, but there goes the money you saved by purchasing a lens that is mounted in an older, discontinued shutter.

Jerry Flynn
19-Apr-2005, 11:44
I had to replace the socket on a '60's vintage #2 Compur. This was a straight-in type socket. My local repair shop was able to adapt a socket for a Hasselblad lens to the shutter. I think it cost about $100.

I had to replace the socket on an older Copal #1 shutter, also. SK Grimes sold me the part (for maybe $20 or so) and I replaced it myself.

John Kasaian
19-Apr-2005, 13:44
Carol at Flutot's Camera was able to replace a missing cable release socket on my Compound for approx. $40 I'd e-mail to see if she has the parts first.

Cheers!

Jay Wolfe
19-Apr-2005, 18:59
Call Schneider. For about $10, they'll send you a new socket and you can do it yourself with a jeweler's screwdriver. It's a good idea to order an extra in case you need another some day.