PDA

View Full Version : Folding focusing hoods

Daniel.E
14-Jul-2016, 13:57
What's your experience with those? would you recommend them? do you use them often?

I got a reflex viewer for my 4x5 but I realized that I'll need to put some screws in and I won't be able to use my plexiglass protective cover anymore. Next thing would be to get a focusing hood. I'd like to know how useful they are. I have a 2-n-1 ground glass/fresnel and it's quite bright. I barely use my darkcloth when I'm outdoors.

Thanks!

Ari
14-Jul-2016, 14:06
Very useful for quick and easy composing, though you may need a longer-than-normal loupe in order to focus with the hood open.
In many cases, the hood replaces a dark cloth, which is great, as it's one less thing to have to deal with.

Daniel.E
14-Jul-2016, 14:11
Thanks Ari! Very helpful. I'll look for one then, I have a loupe that's 4" so I think that'd be fine.

Kirk Gittings
14-Jul-2016, 14:17
I recently bought one a few months ago. That's after not owning or using one for the first 38 years of using a VC. I have to say that in many lighting situations they are useless IME (like when the sun is behind you then I need to use the DC too) and I take it off and just use my dark cloth. I'll try it for a few more outings, but I may retire it completely as a focusing cloth works all the time and I don't see the point of carrying both.

Daniel.E
14-Jul-2016, 14:22
I don't want to put some screws on my field camera, I really don't but I can see myself using that reflex viewer, especially low angles, different perspectives. From the research I've done those focusing hoods are my only option to get some protection for my ground glass. I'm not set into buying one but thank you for the input, it really helps.

Kirk Gittings
14-Jul-2016, 14:27
This is a GG protector that fits nearly everything. I use one. http://www.badgergraphic.com/opencart/index.php?route=product/category&path=2_82_166

Daniel.E
14-Jul-2016, 14:29
That's the same one I have but unfortunately won't go over the two plates I have to put in order to secure the reflex viewer.

mdarnton
14-Jul-2016, 16:48
I've been debating the opposite: I have cameras with hoods and cameras with reflex finders, and cameras with neither, but I'm wondering if I want to put holes in a back to fit a reflex finder, which is my definite preference in all situations. I'm also considering putting a Cambo chimney on one of my Graflex reflexes. It appears to work, and is a definite step up, but I'd have to give up the lid.

Daniel.E
14-Jul-2016, 19:23
I don't understand why is it so easy for some people to just drill some holes on the glass frame and for others is unmentionable! I like the reflex finder a lot and I'm tired of holding it in my hand when I'm done setting up the shot and I want to see what it looks like flipped.

mdarnton
15-Jul-2016, 04:03
I don't understand why is it so easy for some people to just drill some holes on the glass frame and for others is unmentionable!
In my case, because the camera I want to punch holes in is an old wooden view camera in pristine condition that seems to be somewhat desirable, according to Ebay prices. I happen to like using it in preference to some more modern cameras I own, but I don't necessarily want to be the one to trash it, so I'm also considering adapting a newer back that will take the finder I want to use.

EdSawyer
15-Jul-2016, 06:03
mdarnton -

I have thought of using a cambo viewer on my RB SuperD also. As mentioned you need to remove the lid and stock viewing hood, but that can be done without damage if you are careful. The trickiest part is ungluing/cutting(?) the leather that covers the back side of the hinge on the camera body side. I did it on my 3x4 RB SuperD that I converted to an RZ67 prism finder, but I have not modified my 4x5 RB SuperD in a similar way for the reason you mentioned: they are a bit too valuable to be hacking up willy nilly.

The cambo finder would work but the ground glass on top tips forward a bit (10-15 degree angle?) so the viewer is inclined forward a similar amount. Also securing the viewer to the top of the camera would require some customization of the viewer or camera. One option would be build a duplicate "board" like the stock folding viewer has, and attach the cambo viewer to that, allowing the cambo viewer to snap in and out, like the stock folding hood does.

good luck
-Ed

Jac@stafford.net
15-Jul-2016, 06:22
This is a GG protector that fits nearly everything. I use one. http://www.badgergraphic.com/opencart/index.php?route=product/category&path=2_82_166

It was downright therapeutic to make my own with simple tools.

pjd
15-Jul-2016, 07:57

Jac, that's a handsome finish. Do you fancy a trip to fix up my house a bit ;)

FredrickSummers
15-Jul-2016, 08:54
Very useful for quick and easy composing, though you may need a longer-than-normal loupe in order to focus with the hood open.
In many cases, the hood replaces a dark cloth, which is great, as it's one less thing to have to deal with.

Nailed it. It's invaluable on my 45HD and don't think I could do without one now. I hate using a dark cloth as I get hot very easy and have to step away every few minutes or I fog up the GG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rdenney
16-Jul-2016, 07:27
I have one in my Speed Graphic and played with it a bit. With a Maxwell screen it might be usable, but I find myself using short lenses frequently and checking focus or coverage in the corners is impossible with a folding hood. Even the deep ground-glass well on my Sinar is inconvenient in that regard.

For portraits or still lifes in a studio it would be better, I think.

My dark cloth experiences improved when I got the Black Jacket, and my loupe experiences improved when I got a tilting loupe. The Maxwell screen helped both. None of those improvements negated each other, but I think a folding hood would not meet that standard.

Rick "whose ground-glass protector is a case that weighs two metric kilotons" Denney

Jody_S
17-Jul-2016, 13:13
I have the factory one installed on my Burke & James 4x5, it doubles as a screen protector when closed. In winter, it's a godsend, I focus using 4x or 6x glasses and my nose is below the bottom of the folding hood so no fogging of the glass (so, for me there's no point in putting something similar on my 8x10, as I would lose the main advantage). I can use a dark cloth with it quite easily if I choose, but I don't need to if the subject is bright and the sun is not directly behind me. When my eyes were younger, I could focus with just the hood, no loupe or spectacles, no dark cloth; I can still do this in a pinch in daylight if I back up 2 feet from the camera, but I don't see why I should risk losing a shot for lack of checking focus.

Daniel.E
17-Jul-2016, 19:56
I want to thank everybody for the input! I'm getting one next week and looking forward to trying it out. Not looking forward to drilling the wooden frame but it'll be fine, that's what I keep saying to myself.

Daniel.E
17-Jul-2016, 19:57

Wow, I wish I had your skills. That looks beautiful!