PDA

View Full Version : How to begin? How about trade - Leica CL for..

Stanislaw B.A. Stawowy
18-Apr-2005, 07:10
Hello all :-)

I want to begin an affair with LF photography. I was using a Magnola 13x18 - old Linhof copy, too bulky for almost any outdoor work, 13x18 film is rare. So I decided to make an offer - I will exchange my Leica CL with Summicron 2/40 or Rollei QZ 35T for a 4x5 drop bed camera.
First of all - I am looking for something well built and portable. I think Hen-Shao or Tahichara will be a good choice. I don't need a lens for now - I have a old, fairly sharp (when closed down) 135mm Dagor in Compound, I have old ApoTessar, some strange lenses..
I was thinking about selling CL and/or Rollei on eBay, but I think direct exchange will be a best option for me - you all know a lot about LF and maybe some of you have an older, unused 4x5 and always wanted some male jewelry.. :-)

If someone have an offer or just a suggestion about what I should look for - please contact me off list. And please forgive me if I break a 'no classified' rule by posting this question here - I mainly wanted an suggestion where to put this offer and what camera I should look for - as I don't really know how much my cameras are worth for exchange.

Have a f16 day :)

Edward (Halifax,NS)
18-Apr-2005, 08:00
If your Magnola takes cut film, as opposed to glass plates, then a 5X7 holder should fit as well. That would improve the film selection available. I am not familiar with the camera, is it a clamshell design or a monorail?

As for the trade, I don't know many LF shooters that would want a 35mm film camera now-a-days. The only time I take mine out of the cupboard is to attach a 300mm lens to it for wildlife shots. Good luck to you anyways.

Ed

Gem Singer
18-Apr-2005, 08:11
Hi Stanislaw,

Try placing this offer on the www.photo.net classified ad section. You will probably be able to get better results there.

Stanislaw B.A. Stawowy
18-Apr-2005, 08:11
> If your Magnola takes cut film, as opposed to glass plates,

> then a 5X7 holder should fit as well.

Yes, it does, but it doesn't take standard film holders.

> I am not familiar with the camera, is it a clamshell design or a monorail?

Clamshell. Very heavy, made of metal, with very limited movements.

This is also a main reason why I am looking for woodem, lightweight 4x5 -

I can carry five pounds in backpack. I can't carry eighteen - especially because

I have a severely injured knee and will have similar problems with it in future :)

> As for the trade, I don't know many LF shooters that would want a 35mm film camera

> now-a-days. The only time I take mine out of the cupboard is to attach a 300mm lens

> to it for wildlife shots.

I use mainly an Rolleiflex Old Standard nowadays. This camera has a really nice Tessar with strong personality :-) So, with Leica lying in cabinet, I woke up one day and KNEW I have to sell/trade it (because of financial (ahem) deficiences this is the only way for me) for a 4x5. This is irresistible :)

> Good luck to you anyways.

Thanks a lot! :)

Brian Ellis
19-Apr-2005, 07:05
I'd suggest putting a "want to trade" ad in several places, the photo.net classifieds under both large format and 35mm, in rec.photo.marketplace. large-format and 35mm, and in APUG (the latter is a confusing site, I wasn't able to figure out how to place an ad there myself but it's a group devoted to film so if you can figure out the web site there should be some candidates for your trade).