PDA

View Full Version : 1887 Blair Lucidograph Self-Casing Camera

Ron (Netherlands)
11-Jul-2016, 09:28
This camera seems to have fetched a rather high price; it was offered including a plate holder.
Can anyone shed a light on this particular type of camera and its rarity? Any members using such camera?

object sold early today:
http://www.ebay.nl/itm/201616265724?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Mark Sampson
11-Jul-2016, 12:28
Blair cameras were originally made in Boston, Massachusetts. They were successful enough for George Eastman to buy them up, and move production of their 'Hawk-Eye' camera to Rochester in the 1890s. I have no idea why this camera went for so much, except for the usual auction scenario, where two people 'just have to have it!', until only one does.

diversey
11-Jul-2016, 12:32
Is it because the portraint lens on the camera?

Ron (Netherlands)
11-Jul-2016, 12:39
except for the usual auction scenario, where two people 'just have to have it!', until only one does. Well, there were quite some bidders involved, so the camera and/or lens must have had quite some interests. Thanks for the info on the Eastman / Hawe-Eye link!

Jim C.
11-Jul-2016, 12:57
The camera seems to be in pristine condition, so as Mark said, all you need is some people that have a really
bad GAS attack to jack the final price up.
The seller also has some pristine antique audio equipment too.

Tin Can
11-Jul-2016, 13:15
Totally worth that price.

If fact 'worth' way more.

If you cannot make one for the sale price, it's cheap.

How much would a copy cost to make today? You could copy it, but not the glass.

I like the design.

Almost everything we as LF users is actually irreplaceable and cannot be made again.

Ron (Netherlands)
11-Jul-2016, 13:44
If you cannot make one for the sale price, it's cheap.
How much would a copy cost to make today? You could copy it, but not the glass.

Thanks .....but not convinced yet.... there are a lot of beautiful old camera's with beautiful lenses out there - which would indeed cost a fortune to copy today - still
hardly none of them makes the price as for this one, most are sold at 10 - 20% E.g. a beautiful Scovill with comparable lens was sold last week for "only" 265 USD

Tin Can
11-Jul-2016, 13:51
I have idea of the specialness of this object. I collect what others don't want but one day will.

Time, attrition wins every time even for common.

Thanks .....but not convinced yet.... there are a lot of beautiful old camera's with beautiful lenses out there - which would indeed cost a fortune to copy today - still
hardly none of them makes the price as for this one, most are sold at 10 - 20% E.g. a beautiful Scovill with comparable lens was sold last week for "only" 265 USD

Jim C.
11-Jul-2016, 17:34

Chalk it up as the alignment of the planets, the randomness that is eBay, or the buyer typed in the wrong highest bid amount ! ;)
I've watched auctions that defy reasoning because it sold for a high amount, others where I wished I had bid because it sold for close to nothing.

Two23
11-Jul-2016, 19:41
I wouldn't have paid that, but I can see where a collector specializing in self casing cameras would. It's in pristine condition. The main turn off for me going over say, $500, is the lens. It looks to be just an achromatic doublet (but I could be wrong.)

Kent in SD

Steven Tribe
12-Jul-2016, 11:48
The lens is an achromatic doublet. Looks like a Waterbury, apart from the rotary/wheel stops.

It is a very simple camera, compared with what came in the next 5 years.

Tin Can
12-Jul-2016, 11:56
It's worth what a buyer will pay.

People buy certain old computers for huge money, way more than you might think.

In my life motorbikes have appreciated far more than anyone thought.

premortho
13-Jan-2017, 13:46
I wouldn't have paid that, but I can see where a collector specializing in self casing cameras would. It's in pristine condition. The main turn off for me going over say, $500, is the lens. It looks to be just an achromatic doublet (but I could be wrong.)

Kent in SDJUST an achromatic doublet? At the time, that lens was preferred for landscape work. Read the catalogs of the day. They were all raving about these as landscape lenses. The first photog that I know of that espoused a different lens for landscapes was Emerson, and he liked Rapid Rectilinears. You know how an RR is constructed, right? In those days, photographers wanted good drawing, which all Achromatic doublets give, because of the design of the lens. No way to make even a half way decent Achromatic Doublet in a wide angle type. If you are un-impressed with these arguments, just look at the pictures taken of landscapes in that era, then decide.