PDA

View Full Version : How do you load hangers

drgoose
10-Jul-2016, 14:42
Sorry for the stupid question. So far I have been using hangers to develop x ray film under safelight so loading the hangers is not a problem. I want to try panchromatic film but the couple of attempts to load the film with no light (or eyes closed) have been a miserable failure. What is the correct technique to load 5x7 and 8x10 film onto hangers.

Thanks in advance

Joaquin

Tin Can
10-Jul-2016, 15:09
Visualization and putting everything in a exact spot.

Start doing X-ray with your eyes closed.

Wash and dry hands just before, sit down and be calm. I don't use gloves and I have poor touch, but after a while I got it.

I do 16 4x5 on 4-Up holders in 5 liter tanks. Then I cover them and Gas Burst agitate. Which makes for less fooling around in the dark as I can turn the lights on while the tank is covered. I find that relaxing.

Jac@stafford.net
10-Jul-2016, 16:05
I am with Randy Moe on this. I was a medic when wet x-ray development was all we had. No problem, but I was young. I hope the OP is young as well.

Now at seventy years-old after decades of using my hands as tools, and an unfortunate industrial accident I, like Randy, have little sensibility in the remaining seven fingers but practice, practice works. Oh, infrared binoculars help too! But that's a different topic. Shall we open one?

jnantz
10-Jul-2016, 18:19
Sorry for the stupid question. So far I have been using hangers to develop x ray film under safelight so loading the hangers is not a problem. I want to try panchromatic film but the couple of attempts to load the film with no light (or eyes closed) have been a miserable failure. What is the correct technique to load 5x7 and 8x10 film onto hangers.

Thanks in advance

Joaquin

sorry to ask this but when you load your xray film, do you flip up the bail on the hanger, or somehow find a way to put the film in with the bail closed ?

john

Jim Jones
10-Jul-2016, 19:39
I've always flipped it up, and had no problem loading them.

Jim Noel
11-Jul-2016, 12:17
I can't imagine loading,or unloading them with the bail closed.

jnantz
11-Jul-2016, 12:42
hi jim/s
if you don't know you are supposed to open them and
the lights are on to make the task easier ...