PDA

View Full Version : Original Voigtlander Leather Lens Cap

Jim Fitzgerald
5-Jul-2016, 21:37
I picked up one of the beautiful Voigtlander lenses that Bob Hubert was selling and it came with what looks to be the original leather lens cap. I'd like to restore it. Has anyone had any luck with this? It looks to be stitched by hand? but maybe by machine. It would be nice to restore it instead of making a leather cap which I could do. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

Jim Graves
5-Jul-2016, 23:49
Jim ... two trades who work with leather all the time are shoe repairers (cobblers) and saddle makers ... might be worth your time to just ask them for suggestions.

Steven Tribe
6-Jul-2016, 01:20
+1 to the suggestions.

Both these trades are in serious decline. However, there are a lot of hobby workers using hard leather as a starting point, making things like belts. They have often rescued cobblers' heavy duty stitchers which can make the perfect spacing.

You might find someone who be interesting in doing the same exercise for others too?

Congrats with the new Voigtlander too.

pjd
6-Jul-2016, 05:34
You could clip out the old thread and try yourself. I re-stitched a plate camera case a while back after watching this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqCx-5tLJGg

Linen thread and sewing needles are quite cheap. As the holes are already in the leather you wouldn't need leather needles - any needle with an eye large enough for decent size thread would be ok.

Jac@stafford.net
6-Jul-2016, 06:32
If you are lucky enough to find a leather craftsman to make a new cap, then rather than leaving the lens or lens hood with him you might consider cutting a plug the exact outside diameter of the lens (or hood) for him to work on. He might appreciate it and you need not worry about the lens part. I use a hole cutter like this (http://www.woodcraft.com/Images/products/600/16N41.jpg) to make one. See http://www.woodcraft.com. (Their picture).

Jim Fitzgerald
6-Jul-2016, 08:57
Thanks everyone. I'll check around my new surroundings and see what is out there. I'll take a closer look to see if I can do this myself.
Steven, thanks. This big old Voigtlander was something I have been after for a long time. Nice to finally have it in my collection.

seezee
6-Jul-2016, 09:08
When you do restore the cap, be cautious about storing the lens with the cap on — leather is hydroscopic & could attract fungi.

brandon13
6-Jul-2016, 11:29
Jim I am going to the leather store in Portland to grab some brass buttons for my lens caps. I will ask if they know anyone. I also have a good cobbler. D.J. She's great. Will ask her too.

Jim Fitzgerald
6-Jul-2016, 15:03
Jim I am going to the leather store in Portland to grab some brass buttons for my lens caps. I will ask if they know anyone. I also have a good cobbler. D.J. She's great. Will ask her too.

Brandon, awesome. Let me know and thanks.

alex from holland
7-Jul-2016, 21:43
As these lenses are non coated they can't have fungus on the glass.

Jim Fitzgerald
7-Jul-2016, 22:19
Alex, thanks. I've never noticed any and I have leather lens caps on all of them.

Steven Tribe
8-Jul-2016, 02:11
I think that Alex is almost correct -

I have seen light wispy fungus on pre Jena glass that has been in damp storage. But it is easily removed and never seems to have attacked the surface. I have also seen surface blooming that looks like it could be due to the proximity of earlier fungal growth. But fluoride coated lens get quickly destroyed in damp conditions.

Although leather does attract moisture from the air, I think it is unlikely to be a genuine cause of concern for anyone living in reasonable modern living conditions who don't store their equipment in saunas, bathrooms or garden sheds!

Pfsor
8-Jul-2016, 03:04
As these lenses are non coated they can't have fungus on the glass.

Actually and unfortunately your statement is not true. It can be that certain coatings are easier for the corrosive fungus acids to destroy but optical glass itself is in no way immune to these acids. The dust, dirt and grease that accumulates even on non coated glass surface is enough for the fungus to get a hold on the glass in favourable conditions. The glass then suffers from acids etching associated with fungus nutrition biology.

Jim Fitzgerald
8-Jul-2016, 03:09
Even though I live in the Pacific Northwest and it is damp I have no intention of storing my lenses outside or near a wet source. I have my plans done for a nice humidity controlled display cabinet to store all of my lenses. Only thing is that with my new purchases it may not be big enough.

pjd
8-Jul-2016, 04:51
I think that Alex is almost correct -

I have seen light wispy fungus on pre Jena glass that has been in damp storage. But it is easily removed and never seems to have attacked the surface. I have also seen surface blooming that looks like it could be due to the proximity of earlier fungal growth. But fluoride coated lens get quickly destroyed in damp conditions.

Although leather does attract moisture from the air, I think it is unlikely to be a genuine cause of concern for anyone living in reasonable modern living conditions who don't store their equipment in saunas, bathrooms or garden sheds!

Just as Steven wrote; I bought an uncoated Ross Protar VII a year or so ago which had a good deal of white wispy fungus - which was removed remarkably easily, and apparently without leaving a trace.

brandon13
9-Jul-2016, 13:37
Jim don't worry about your Voigtlander getting fungus from an old lens cap. It made it 130 years without getting fungus. As Alex said It's really hard for these old uncoated lenses to get fungus and if this cap is original it deserves to be with it's mate. It will be just fine. I have a couple original caps and they aren't coming off my 19th century lenses unless an exposure is being made. ;)

Jim Fitzgerald
9-Jul-2016, 13:49
Brandon, I don't worry about that stuff. Common sense goes a long way. I have the original cap for my 1855 Ross and the glass looks as good as new!

Jim Graves
11-Jul-2016, 23:46
Jim ... Please update us with any progress on this project.

Hope your new digs in Vancouver are rounding into shape ... and, of course, "Hi" to June.

Jim Fitzgerald
12-Jul-2016, 01:29
Jim, things are moving along. I'll keep everyone up to date and I'll give my best to June for you.
Thanks.

alex from holland
13-Jul-2016, 23:41
Actually and unfortunately your statement is not true. It can be that certain coatings are easier for the corrosive fungus acids to destroy but optical glass itself is in no way immune to these acids. The dust, dirt and grease that accumulates even on non coated glass surface is enough for the fungus to get a hold on the glass in favourable conditions. The glass then suffers from acids etching associated with fungus nutrition biology.

Show me a non coated lens with fungus damage and will believe you.
I have never ever seen one before.

Pfsor
13-Jul-2016, 23:46
Show me a non coated lens with fungus damage and will believe you.
I have never ever seen one before.

Lens fungus was a problem on military optics before coating was discovered.