PDA

View Full Version : 4x5 Fuji Acros no longer sold in the US? (UPDATE: False alarm from Freestyle)

FredrickSummers
3-Jul-2016, 19:45
According to Freestyle in their trendy but unprofessional post state that Acros will no longer be available in the USA from Fuji. Has anyone else heard this? Thought anyone else that shoots/shot this would find it of use. Sad to see it go, I hope the Chromes have a long life still!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daniel Stone
3-Jul-2016, 20:09
I've found that in many cases Freestyle doesn't know their head from their ass on product availability. B&H shows it has it in stock and is ready to ship.

FredrickSummers
3-Jul-2016, 22:07
I've found that in many cases Freestyle doesn't know their head from their ass on product availability. B&H shows it has it in stock and is ready to ship.

I too have found that, and with all their bashing will be looking for someone else to buy chemicals from. I also saw BH had them in stock (where I generally buy film from as shipping from freestyle is too high especially with film Beijing higher too) but that does not mean future availability is there.

I've not found anything on Fuji's main site though.

Fuji USA site now lists the film as available on 35mm and 120, 4x5 has been removed: http://www.fujifilmusa.com/products/professional_photography/film/neopan_black_white/100_acros/

B.S.Kumar
4-Jul-2016, 00:42
Frederick, you know that you can always get Acros (or any other Japanese film) from me :)

Kumar

FredrickSummers
4-Jul-2016, 05:57
Frederick, you know that you can always get Acros (or any other Japanese film) from me :)

Kumar

Yes sir, and your services are great sir. It just seems if a film is pulled out its one step closer to death :(

interneg
4-Jul-2016, 06:24
Sounds like they've done a Velvia50 to it. Not totally surprising given how much cheaper sheet Acros is direct from Japan - suspect the USA stock had become extremely slow moving. Anyway, didn't it only start appearing in retail outside of Japan because people were buying it direct via the web?

StoneNYC
4-Jul-2016, 08:47
I'll also be including 4x5 Acros100 in my group buys with the 8x10 stuff and Velvia50 so if this is true, then I'll make sure to add that to the list!

I always buy from B&H because of the cheaper prices and free shipping, unless I can't get it then I go to Freestyle like for the chemistry.

Anyway it's in stock

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1082129-REG

Sal Santamaura
4-Jul-2016, 09:55
...Anyway it's in stock

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1082129-REGThey've got 43 boxes at this moment.

Oren Grad
4-Jul-2016, 10:00
FWIW, Fuji Japan still shows it as current product, in both 4x5 and 8x10 sizes:

http://fujifilm.jp/personal/filmandcamera/film/monochrome/film.html

http://fujifilm.jp/personal/jan/monochrome.html?pSch501010101

FredrickSummers
4-Jul-2016, 10:10
FWIW, Fuji Japan still shows it as current product, in both 4x5 and 8x10 sizes:

http://fujifilm.jp/personal/filmandcamera/film/monochrome/film.html

http://fujifilm.jp/personal/jan/monochrome.html?pSch501010101

That's what I was looking at last night too and figured it was Fuji USA just not importing it anymore. Doesn't stop the "Fuji-not-film" bs all over though.

cuypers1807
4-Jul-2016, 15:52
I have 120 sheets left. That should be enough to finish the project I am using for. I would love to stock up on more but the price is a bit outrageous now compared to the alternatives. Still the best for low reciprocity.

Drew Wiley
5-Jul-2016, 13:27
I take these rumors with a grain of salt. What does seem to add up is that 120 ACROS is TEMPORARILY in short supply due to the something related to the significant recent earthquakes in southern Japan. This has apparent gotten twisted into a retail misunderstanding to the effect of discontinuance of ACROS entirely.
How many times have we heard this kind of thing before from some sales counter gofer? I don't know if Fuji USA has anything to do with any of this; but at this point in time, does anybody ACTUALLY know if 4x5 import is due to be cut off in the US, or is this just yet another case of prematurely crying wolf?

Nicolasllasera
6-Jul-2016, 00:07
Update from Freestyle "UPDATE!! Fuji USA has now recanted their discontinuation notice and are bringing more into the country ASAP. They apologize for the mis-information and for frightening us all over the holiday weekend. If you placed a large order with us, fearing the worst, and would like to cancel the order, please contact us as soon as you can."

Makes me think Daniel Stone might have been right...

Glad it still will be available.

FredrickSummers
6-Jul-2016, 04:49
Update from Freestyle "UPDATE!! Fuji USA has now recanted their discontinuation notice and are bringing more into the country ASAP. They apologize for the mis-information and for frightening us all over the holiday weekend. If you placed a large order with us, fearing the worst, and would like to cancel the order, please contact us as soon as you can."

Makes me think Daniel Stone might have been right...

Glad it still will be available.

Haha, I hear you there. I may be marking freestyle off my list too.

Nicolasllasera
6-Jul-2016, 05:16
Haha, I hear you there. I may be marking freestyle off my list too.

I have nothing against them but its strange they where the only ones saying something and now its been reversed.

Kevin Harding
6-Jul-2016, 14:49
Does 4x5 Acros still have the hole punch in the image area?

FredrickSummers
6-Jul-2016, 18:28

My current box has it outside the image area right near the emulsion stamp thing.

Oren Grad
6-Jul-2016, 18:54
I've updated the thread title.

FredrickSummers
6-Jul-2016, 20:36
I've updated the thread title.

Thank you! I've been trying to figure out how to do that, but I can't find an "edit subject".

StoneNYC
6-Jul-2016, 22:48

Was it ever in the image area? It's right at the edge, been that way since 2012 batches. Any closer to the edge and it wouldn't be a hole.

I like it, good for hanging film on a hook to dry.

Paul Cunningham
7-Jul-2016, 08:09
I admit this did cause me to panic a little. I think I'll order a few boxes so that I can sleep better at night.

Drew Wiley
7-Jul-2016, 08:17
The pro paks of 120 are already back in stock at B&H, who never did run out of 4x5. The West Coast should follow suit, which is ironic, since LA is where US Fuji
inventory originates. Largely a matter of who got the facts wrong and who didn't, I presume.

tgtaylor
7-Jul-2016, 08:26
I've been using it for 10 years or more and the hole has always been there. It's also in the 8x10 size. Great for hanging the sheet to dry with a paper clip.

Thomas

Drew Wiley
7-Jul-2016, 08:32
I have no idea what that hole is for. I often punch film for mask registration, so have little brass wire hooks of my darkroom clothesline, besides wooden clothespins. So I hang ordinary Acros 4x5 negs to dry on those hooks too. But over the summer I'm shooting some 8x10 Acros instead, since my inventory of
it is getting rather old by now. Still exposes and develops perfectly, however.

tgtaylor
7-Jul-2016, 08:52
While I don't know, I'd bet that the hole is there for drying. You could run a thin wire across a space and easily and securely hang gods of sheets to dry and the weight of the sheet will not tear the hole even when the sheet is wet.

Thomas

FredrickSummers
7-Jul-2016, 13:33
Was it ever in the image area? It's right at the edge, been that way since 2012 batches. Any closer to the edge and it wouldn't be a hole.

I like it, good for hanging film on a hook to dry.

Not a clue, but freestyle has a warning that it is in the image area.

I haven't shot as much acros as I should, I haven't yet got results I like from it. Rodinal seems to not be that great at least so far for me exposing at ei 100. Going to try a few sheets in DDX and see how they do.

StoneNYC
8-Jul-2016, 13:14
Not a clue, but freestyle has a warning that it is in the image area.

I haven't shot as much acros as I should, I haven't yet got results I like from it. Rodinal seems to not be that great at least so far for me exposing at ei 100. Going to try a few sheets in DDX and see how they do.

Funny, that's my favorite combo, and Acros100 is the only one that I feel is true-to-speed. Everything else is not rated at true speed, often under by 1/3 stop.

Well to each their own of course.

FredrickSummers
8-Jul-2016, 13:41
Funny, that's my favorite combo, and Acros100 is the only one that I feel is true-to-speed. Everything else is not rated at true speed, often under by 1/3 stop.

Well to each their own of course.

I've been doing 50:1 at 13:30 and exposed at 100. What is your mix? I did some semistand with it and was very happy, but so far the 50:1 I have only a couple that I like and most have blocked shadows and blown hi-lights. I want this film to work for me though!

StoneNYC
9-Jul-2016, 00:17
I've been doing 50:1 at 13:30 and exposed at 100. What is your mix? I did some semistand with it and was very happy, but so far the 50:1 I have only a couple that I like and most have blocked shadows and blown hi-lights. I want this film to work for me though!

I do 12 minutes, 1:50, expose at 100, however I use a JOBO.

I'm not sure what else to say without seeing your negs/images.