PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket boxes for film transport?

ryanmills
2-Jul-2016, 12:21
I have this thread posted in the WTB forum: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?131920-WTB-Empty-8x10-film-boxes

It has me wondering if I dont find any, does someone makes tri-close boxes I could just buy. Looking for a safe way to break down 10 sheet boxs into a more manageable size without opening the 10 sheet wrappers. I can fit 100 sheet box in the space of two 10 sheet boxes. I can easily fit 2 10-sheet wrappers in a 10 sheet box but thats still to big. Need to get at least 40 to 50 per box. Plan B is opening the wrappers and using the double close boxes with envelops. But worried that might increase the risk for damage.

Jac@stafford.net
2-Jul-2016, 12:58
I looked and looked and did not find any reasonable substitutes. I am now looking for a DIY solution I can understand. If I can swing it I'll make 100 of them.

ryanmills
2-Jul-2016, 15:22
I looked and looked and did not find any reasonable substitutes. I am now looking for a DIY solution I can understand. If I can swing it I'll make 100 of them.

If you make any in the next few weeks I would buy them. Plan F (guess why) is making my own. i figure it can be too hard once you get the sizes sorted out. No chance im getting homemade boxes hand checked by TSA thou.

Jac@stafford.net
2-Jul-2016, 15:32
If you make any in the next few weeks I would buy them. Plan F (guess why) is making my own. i figure it can be too hard once you get the sizes sorted out. No chance im getting homemade boxes hand checked by TSA thou.

I had not even imagined the TSA thing! Back to square two to make the boxes appear appropriately officious.

ryanmills
2-Jul-2016, 15:34
I had not even imagined the TSA thing! Back to square two to make the boxes appear appropriately officious.

Finding the big 100 sheet 8x10 boxes for fiber paper is also on my list if I can find some. Have to take the film out of the wrappers, use the light tight bags and maybe deal with scratches but you would fit a lot of film in one box. And look more offical.

Noah A
3-Jul-2016, 06:59
I shoot 4x5, but I always re-pack my film for travel. I often take 2 to 300 sheets of film on a trip and there's no way I could carry that many boxes. It would take up most of my carry-on bag.

I can easily fit 50 sheets of film in a Kodak 10-sheet box. I use black plastic film bags from Freestyle Photo. They sell the bags for mailing film. They're not meant to be used on their own, but I figure they add some extra security and they also prevent the film from sliding around inside the box. FYI, they're called black bag mailers. And I'm not affiliated with freestyle in any way.

Some film comes in similar bags, but I shoot Portra and it comes in non-reusable foil wrappers.

Of course I'd prefer not to open the wrappers, but I was worried about getting the film through airport security in some kind of home made or repurposed box.

Some manufacturers (like Ilford) ship their film in similar black plastic bags with no problems. Also, once you shoot the film, you'll be carrying it home without the protection of the original wrapper.

I've been doing this since I switched to 4x5 in 2010 and I've never had a problem.

tgtaylor
3-Jul-2016, 09:34
Finding the big 100 sheet 8x10 boxes for fiber paper is also on my list if I can find some. Have to take the film out of the wrappers, use the light tight bags and maybe deal with scratches but you would fit a lot of film in one box. And look more offical.

Ilford sells several 100 and 250 sheet boxes of 8x10 paper and you can use the third black liner from a regular 8x10 film box.

Thomas

ryanmills
3-Jul-2016, 10:35
Thanks for the heads up on the "black bags". Could be useful. The trouble with 8x10 from kodak is only getting it in 10 shot boxes. They just dont have a lot of room, i can get 20 in there with wrappers but thats it. But if i take them out of the wrappers and use the black bags I might be able to fit more.

John Kasaian
3-Jul-2016, 18:08
Arista .edu Ultra 8x10 comes in 50 sheet boxes. You might check with Freestyle as it is repackaged Foma so they may have a line on the boxes.

CSX Online 8x10 x-ray film comes in 100 sheet boxes. If you have an x-ray lab in your town that still uses film you might be able to score some empties.

Freestlye, IIRC sells new black liner bags.
I hope this helps.

Noah A
4-Jul-2016, 08:27
... The trouble with 8x10 from kodak is only getting it in 10 shot boxes. They just dont have a lot of room, i can get 20 in there with wrappers but thats it. ...

Same with 4x5, unfortunately. Portra 160 only comes in 10-sheet boxes. I also tried repacking it in the original foil envelopes, and I could only get two envelopes, or 20 sheets, in each box. Even that was tight. Not sure if my solution would scale up to 8x10, but it sounds like it might. Of course I certainly understand that one might want to be careful with expensive 8x10 film.

I know it's not likely and that I should be thankful that they still make the film at all, but I really wish kodak would bring back the 50-sheet boxes!