PDA

View Full Version : Calumet C-1

Bill_1856
15-Apr-2005, 16:43
What are the drawbacks to the 8x10 Calumet C-1, other than they are heavy, and getting some gray hairs?

Jim Rice
15-Apr-2005, 16:47
The grey doesn't seem to bother them much. Some have reported that replacement bellows can unpleat early. Heavy seems to be the big itch, which can be mitigated by the choice of a magnesium one.

John Hoenstine
15-Apr-2005, 17:50
It is really making sure your tipod can handle it. I used both a Stanford-Davis and a Ries but many other couldn't support it. It is a great cmera and a young artist now has the one I had.

Tim Stahl
15-Apr-2005, 18:44
They are heavy. Green does not necessarily mean that it's the magnesium one... check the weight with a scale. On a positive note, it is very stable (even in wind).

Dave Moeller
15-Apr-2005, 19:00
As mentioned above, the only significant downside other than the sheer weight for carrying is the requirement for a tripod that will handle it. I use a Berlebach 3032, and it handles a magnesium C1 with a Nikkor 480mm f/9 process lens without complaint. My impression is that the tripod could easily handle another 15-20 pounds before I'd be worried.

If you want to be extremely picky:
<nbsp><nbsp>The bail arm on the back makes a bit of a high-pitched noise when you pull it open.
<nbsp><nbsp>The screws you use to lock it closed when you're done for the day are a little small.
<nbsp><nbsp>Rear-focus only, so if you use a short lens you have to lean over the rails to use a loupe.
<nbsp><nbsp>Non-interchangeable bellows...removing the bellows qualifies as "surgery."

On the upside: Rock-solid. Easy to use. Gobs of movement. Original bellows last forever if you don't abuse them. Knobs are generally easy to use. Lensboards are easy to fabricate. Front standard can hold extremely heavy lenses easily. Easy to set up and take down. Very intuitive. You could probably hammer spikes with the camera if you had to.

I own three 8x10's (like anyone needs three...), and the C1 is the only one I've used in quite a long time. As much use as it gets, I think it'll still be in good shape for another few generations of users.

paul stimac
15-Apr-2005, 19:23
Other than what you mentioned, they aren't that good for architecture, wonderful otherwise.

Jim Galli
15-Apr-2005, 22:32
The drop bed is always in my way. I can't get close enough to the ground glass with most of my favorite lenses. Starts getting comfortable with a Fuji 450C. On the other hand you could put your cup of coffee on that big table sticking out.

Dave Moeller
16-Apr-2005, 19:27
Jim-

The solution I found to getting to the GG on the C1 when I'm shooting a short lens is to lower the tripod. If I set my Berlebach at the maximum height, I struggle get to the GG with a 150mm lens focused at infinity. (At 6'7", it's rare that I struggle to get to much of anything.) If I bring tripod down a foot or two, I find it very easy to get to the GG. More bending at the waist, less stretching at the neck.

Be well.

Ben Calwell
17-Apr-2005, 14:15
I had a well used Orbit 8x10, which I'm pretty sure is the same thing. I got rid of it simply because it was too heavy for me to use comfortably. I have a Bogen 3050 and 3047 head, and the head just wasn't up to the weight. I didn't feel like spending more money on another, stouter head just for that camera. Also, on the camera I had, the rear rail that folds up out the way was a pain to work with. It always got stuck in the down position, and I had to wrestle around with it to get it to fold back up. To sum up, I found the camera to be completely non-user friendly -- at least to me.