PDA

View Full Version : who does a good job repairing Copal Press shutters?

AtlantaTerry
24-Jun-2016, 17:57
Was trying to create a portrait today with a 240mm Tele-Congo lens but the Copal Press shutter didn't like it when I tried to use several different cable releases.
So yuk! I tripped the shutter with my finger. Yeah, I know...

Anyhow, I switched to my Rodenstock 210mm lens to finish the portraits but, of course, the 30mm made a difference in the composition even though I moved the tripod in to compensate.

So, who might y'all suggest I send the Copal Press shutter to for a repair? Firms I can think of are KEH and Flutot (spelling?). Are there better firms for me to consider?

Thanks,
Terry

Steve Goldstein
25-Jun-2016, 02:49
Grimes, Frank Marshman, and Paul Ebel are other options. Maybe also Michael Zack in Providence.

Bob Salomon
25-Jun-2016, 07:02
Any repair company can fix a shutter. It is their most basic job. Ask Quality Camera.

EdSawyer
26-Jun-2016, 08:52
It might be easier and no more expensive to just find another copal press 1 shutter....

Stephen Thomason
26-Jun-2016, 11:26
Is this a problem that just developed and the cable releases you tried have worked before? If not, find a cable release with a longer than normal plunger. I have a press shutter that only works with a long plunger - standard cable releases just don't have enough "reach."

Bill_1856
26-Jun-2016, 12:11
Carol at Flutot is great! Speedy, helpful and (relatively) inexpensive. Personally, I despise that model of Compur.

Bob Salomon
26-Jun-2016, 12:50
Carol at Flutot is great! Speedy, helpful and (relatively) inexpensive. Personally, I despise that model of Compur.

It isn't a Compur. It is a Copal.

jnantz
26-Jun-2016, 14:35
Grimes, Frank Marshman, and Paul Ebel are other options. Maybe also Michael Zack in Providence.

i'd suggest grimes and zack's too.
if parts are needed, BOTH can machine/make them ( in-house ).

good luck!

Ari
26-Jun-2016, 16:04
KEH is close by you, I'd try them first.
But you didn't mention what the problem was; it might be your cable release, as Stephen pointed out.

Jim Andrada
26-Jun-2016, 20:46
Look for a used Prontor cable release on the well known auction site. You want the one that has two little finger rests sticking out so it can be held by the 1st and ring finger while the thumb does it's thing. looks like a "T" just below the plunger. It works with every press shutter I've tried it with while other releases don't reliably work. Find something long like a thin nail or a sewing needle that will fit in the hole in the shutter where the cable attaches and just see if it will reliably trip the shutter - if so, cable throw is your problem and one of the old Prontor releases is the answer to your prayers. Or just get one and try - can't have too many cable releases, right???

neil poulsen
28-Jun-2016, 14:57
i'd suggest grimes and zack's too.
if parts are needed, BOTH can machine/make them ( in-house ).

good luck!

I believe that Grimes sends shutters out to another concern. To whom, I'm not sure.

David Lindquist
28-Jun-2016, 17:40
I believe that Grimes sends shutters out to another concern. To whom, I'm not sure.

If this is the case, do you know how long they've been sending shutters out to someone else? The last one I got back had the test sheet signed by "Joel" who I understand also works there. This probably would have been Fall 2014.It was a dial-set Compur. As jnanian suggests, I have sent these sorts of things in the past to SK Grimes as they seem to me to have a greater potential for needing parts made.
David