PDA

View Full Version : And Another One Bites the Dust - 20x24 Polaroid

Peter Lewin
20-Jun-2016, 19:16
From the NYTimes: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/21/arts/design/champion-of-a-polaroid-behemoth-yields-to-the-digital-world.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=photo-spot-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

David Lobato
20-Jun-2016, 20:56
I just read that. Sad to see it slip away. The photographers who used those cameras also were experts at studio lighting. It was anything but trivial to set up and use the cameras.

As an aside, I like the term chemical photography rather than analog, which fails to infer a mechanical and/or chemical process. Polaroids are chemical by nature, a real wonder.

John Kasaian
20-Jun-2016, 21:29
Good grief!

Drew Wiley
21-Jun-2016, 08:37
Yeah, sad in itself; but celebrities would get their faces shown in galleries and magazines even if the shot had been taken with a disposable cardboard camera.
Waste of film as far as I'm concerned.

DrTang
21-Jun-2016, 08:45
shame

I really want to see that documentary though
Errol Morris is one of my favorites

Ron McElroy
21-Jun-2016, 10:53
I read this as well. Does anyone know it this will affect Tracy Storer with Mammoth Camera?

M Harvey
8-Sep-2016, 08:44
shame

I really want to see that documentary though
Errol Morris is one of my favorites

Just a note that Elsa Dorfman's documentary on Dorfman, "The B-Sides: Elsa Dorfman's Portrait Photography," apparently premiered last weekend at the Telluride Film Festival-- a little review-googling suggests it was well received. So we should see this coming around before too long...