PDA

View Full Version : Ilford Ortho or #44 & pan

Ron Marshall
13-Apr-2005, 19:48
If someone has used a wratten #44 with panchromatic and has also used ortho, would they mind telling me if they render subjects differently, and if so which option they prefer.

Thanks in advance

John Cook
15-Apr-2005, 15:13
After two days with no replies, I gather few people on this forum are big Ilford Ortho Plus users. Too bad, because it is a nifty film. Although I don't imagine it is seen as a major cash cow for the new Ilford owners. (Hint: say "Goodbye" Gracie.)

If you are copying, obviously Ortho film is superior to panchromatic film with a 44 or 47 filter. That's why it is manufactured. The curve shape, you know. Check out the poop sheet on the Ilford website and you will see how easy it is to fiddle with the film's contrast during development. Can't do that with FP4 Plus.

However, if you are talking pictorial photography my preference would still be for the Ortho film. Deep blue filters have a factor of nearly three stops which will render almost all sheet films effectively slower than the recommended ISO 80 of the Ilford Ortho.

And horsing around attaching and removing such a filter is a nuisance. Impossible to compose and focus through such dark glass. Bet you forget to re-attach it for a few exposures ;0)

I don't bother with red safelights to process Ilford Ortho. But for those who are bored in the dark, the panchromatic film might be less desireable. (Is that how you spell desireable?)

At any rate, I would like to prod the rest of you to take a flying fling with this film before the MBA's at Ilford yank it away from us. Thanks for the question, Ron.

Ron Marshall
15-Apr-2005, 15:55
Hi John. I do want it for pictorial use, outdoor portraits in shade with greenery. I am inspired to try it based on the look of such images that I have seen, both using ortho and pan/#44. My main concern was excessive contrast. Since that is not a problem I will gladly avoid having to use the filter.

For some reason I didn't consider effective speed, which will be important shooting in the shade.

Thanks very much

Ralph Barker
15-Apr-2005, 19:04
I just got a batch of Ilford Ortho in 4x5, but haven't had a chance to shoot any yet. Life's practicalities sometimes get in the way of the really important stuff. ;-)

John Cook
16-Apr-2005, 06:32
Portraits in the shade sound like a wonderful use for this film. Since it is so sensitive to blue light, the shadows almost fill themselves. And magical things happen to people with very blue eyes. Their irises become very light and silvery.

Almost impossible to carry cloud detail in the sky, though. Best solution is to have a really artistic cloud negative handy to double-print a nice sky. If you look carefully, you will see the exact same cloud formation in every shot done by some old-time landscape photographers.

Robert C. McColloch
20-Apr-2005, 23:39
Just got back photographing Native American Pictographs using OrthoPlus to better render the typical 1-stop spread found with meter readings. Tests showed this should work. As soon as I develop my negs, I'll know for sure.