PDA

View Full Version : Some closer photos of ShenHao 8x10

Ken Lee
13-Apr-2005, 19:15
Some esteemed list members have asked me for additional photos of my 8x10 Shen-Hao, since the few images available on the official site are rather low-resolution. So that others might also see them, I have placed 10 pictures of the camera <bold> here (http://www.kenleegallery.com/shenhao/pix.html" target="_blank)</bold>. I took the photos this afternoon. There is also a photo of the carrying case. The .jpg's are fairly large.

By the way, this camera was returned to me recently from Shen-Hao, who discovered that I had not put the (detatchable) bellows back on correctly, after removing it. They did not see fit to improve the mechanism, and I don't expect to take it off again ! I paid to ship it to them, and they diagnosed the problem and returned it to me for no charge. Fair enough, methinks.

I think you will see that the "fit and finish" is excellent. The wood is teak, and while it does not have the look of 19th century "polish and brass" as do some others, it looks very attractive. The camera is quite rigid and strong at all extensions and positions. Some of the photos show off the rear movements, which are fairly generous for a folding field camera. In my humble opinion, it's a terrific camera.

Mike Davis
13-Apr-2005, 20:46
Ken,

Thanks for the pictures. I'm sorry that you had to return the camera, but I'm glad that there wasn't anything seriously wrong with it. What did the camera wind up costing with shipping? I don't seem to be able to find an inclusive price.

Have you shot anymore with it?

Thanks,

austin granger
13-Apr-2005, 22:01
I found the pictures quite interesting, as I own an Ebony RW8x10, the camera on which I understand the Shen-Hao is based. The two cameras, apart from the wood used, are remarkably similar. One big difference however, is that the knobs that lock the front standard on the Shen-Hao are much more substantial than the tiny ones on my Ebony. This has been the one major complaint on my camera; that it is difficult to get the front standard locked down really tight.

In short, I think that Shen-Hao actually improved upon the Ebony design where they saw it needed improving!

In all, it looks like a very well made instrument.

Richard Årlin
14-Apr-2005, 04:09
Gee, Ken... I tried to think of anything what could be wrong, exept the camera and exept that. I am sure u'll check it out next time you replace it. Glad I did not recommend someting that would not please you.

Cheers, Richard

Andrew_5334
14-Apr-2005, 07:44
Sorry Ken, I cannot quite make out the pictures. If you wouldn't mind sending me the camera, that might help ;-) Looks like a really nice camera. What tripod are you using for it?

Ken Lee
14-Apr-2005, 08:04
It's a Bogen that I bought for Medium Format, and kept for 4x5. I'll get the name of it later, when I get home from work.

The head is a Bogen 3725 410 Compact Head - it allows you to make finely geared adjustments in all 3 directions. I guess I should be using something more robust that resembles a set of telephone poles, but I haven't seen the need. The ShenHao is still light enough (or the head strong enough) that it seems to work fine.

Ken Lee
14-Apr-2005, 08:06
Yes Richard - your advice was very sound. Many thanks !

Nick_3536
14-Apr-2005, 09:04
I know putting on the bellows for the 5x7 wasn't the simplest. But then I'm not sure how usefull the bag bellows are so until I get a lens short enough to really need them I'm not changing again either.

Richard Årlin
14-Apr-2005, 10:26
I don't have a bagbellows for my HZX810-IIAT but I removed the standard bellows to try it out, just like trying all the movements and accieving a confident sequence folding and unfolding my camera. Removing and reinserting the bellows seems to me to be a piece of cake, I cannot imagine how it could go wrong. The construction is identical to the one of 4x5 Ebony and very intuitive.

Nick_3536
14-Apr-2005, 10:51
I'm not saying it's impossible but I know I screwed it up the first time. It was obvious that I had and that forced me to pay more attention. But I did screw it up the first time.

David Vickery
14-Apr-2005, 11:40
Hello, Nice Camera, but do you think that you will ever use that rear rise ?? I like the way that they made it with the tilt and all, but do you need rear rise on a field camera? I'm curious (not picking).

Ken Lee
14-Apr-2005, 12:29
...do you need rear rise on a field camera?

I prefer monorails, like the Arca-Swiss, where both standards do everything, generally. To the degree that folding field cameras approach that level, it's a plus for me.

The longer the bellows, the harder it is to reach the front while under the dark cloth. Having functions available where you can reach them, is half the battle, as it were. So I am happy for anything that can be done at the rear of the camera - especially when using long lenses.

With the ShenHao, you can focus by moving either the front or rear standard. This is helpful when doing close work, so that you can keep the front standard in the same place. The perspective stays the same. Of course, you can do the opposite if you like.

As long as the design is clean, and the weight of the camera is not adversely affected, it's great to have more functionality, even if it might appear redundant to some.

domenico Foschi
14-Apr-2005, 14:54
Mmhm... How much for that puppy, Ken?
And how much is the titanium model? And why is the Shen-Hao website so .....skimpy and void of thorough informations? :-)

domenico Foschi
14-Apr-2005, 14:57
Also , what are dimensions of the bigger lensboard?
You made me want to eat boiled beans for one year and buy a shen hao.

Ken Lee
14-Apr-2005, 16:41
I'll dig through my emails to get the exact price of the camera and case. - and the dimensions of the outer lens board. One reason I chose the camera was that I am already used to the small and light technika boards, and the camera comes as shown: with a technika adapter.

This is the Titanium model: Teak and Titanium is the only combination offered.

As to the slowness of their site: I presume that some are more e-savy than others. They are still learning, I guess.

Steve Daniels
15-Apr-2005, 08:49
Hi Ken. I'll talk to you here for awhile.

Chinese web servers are VERY slow. Shen Hao could improve their website if they wouldn't use all of the Flash stuff. Also, that progress bar after the first screen looks like they are loading their entire website into your cache file before you can view it instead ot the traditional load as you go format.

As to your tripod head, I have the same head (Manfrotto 410) and the larger 405. If you want a more robust head, you can't go wrong with the 405. Plus, it takes the same quick mount plates that you already use. I got the 405 after already having the 410 because my Nikon D100 with an 80-200 f2.8 doesn't properly fit on the 410 with my battery pack on it. The battery pack gets in the way of the rear knob, and I HATE mounting anything on a head backwards. Turns out I like the 405 better, but I keep them both on two different tripods. The best thing about the 405 is that the knobs are easier to grab and turn (not like the little rubber nubs on the 410).

I will be posting some photos soon of my TFC45-IIA over on SHUG which will show the heads. I have been getting requests for pictures from people who don't think my camera exists, since there are no pictures of it or references to it anywhere on the web. (TFC45-IIA is the Shen Hao non-folding with interchangeable bellows and black hardware)

Keep shooting,

Steve Daniels

Bill_1856
15-Apr-2005, 08:59
How much did it cost?

Nick_3536
15-Apr-2005, 09:09
Is the TFC45-IIA a different camera then the TFC45 on the bottom of the this webpage:

http://www.shen-hao.com/proaccessories.html

Steve Daniels
15-Apr-2005, 12:25
The TFC45-IIA is slightly different than the one shown on the Shen Hao website. The three physical differences that I can see are (1) the IIA has interchangeable bellows, (2) the sliders to rotate the back are on top like the HZX series instead of on the sides like on the website, and (3) there is no handle on top. I prefer not to have the handle there, so it's no big deal to me.

Other than that, the differences are cosmetic only. Teak and black metal for the standards and brushed chrome (possibly titanium) for the other metal parts. There is also no serial number anywhere on the camera. I thought that this might have been a prototype of some sort instead of a production model, but there IS a single reference (no photo) at www.expo-service.no/kameraer/shen_hao.html (http://www.expo-service.no/kameraer/shen_hao.html).

I received a replacement part from Zhang Fuming in China (requested by Email) and asked for information about my camera, and although he answered all of my other questions, he didn't reply to anything about the IIA. So at this point, all I know is that I have one of them (in the U.S.), and they are apparently available from one dealer in Europe.

Bill, if your question about price was about my camera, I bought it used from Jeff at Badger Graphic for $500. I asked about where I could get one of them (I do mostly wide angle shooting) and he had one there "slightly used." As far as I can tell, it looked like a new camera that had never had film in it. There was one part that was loose, and it broke after a little use (a tightening screw on the rear standard) and that was the part that Zhang Fuming replaced (at no charge, even though I was not the original owner). The expo-service site gives the price as being virtually the same as the HZX-IIA (and slightly more than the FTC45).

I will get pictures posted very soon and leave a link both here and at SHUG.

Ken Lee
15-Apr-2005, 13:56
When I purchased the 8x10 directly from ShenHao in Shanghai, it was $ 1800 for the camera, and $ 40 for the case - plus or minus a few dollars. Shipping by FedEx was extra. To get the current price, etc. it's best to contact ShenHao directly: they can email you a current price list.

domenico Foschi
15-Apr-2005, 15:04
Thank you, Ken. Enjoy the camera.