PDA

View Full Version : Where are my filter threads?

gnd2
17-Jun-2016, 16:43
Hi all,
I have this lens I purchased used several years ago and just started looking into getting a 100mm filter holder for it. I found that it should have an 82mm filter thread, but looking at the lens, I don't see any threads. I looks like there might be something screwed on to it already, maybe an old filter with the glass broken out of it? I've tried about every trick I know for removing filters - ice, rubber band, shoe sole - but no luck. I think I'm down to the last resort of prying it out with pliers but not even sure it's something that should come out so I thought I'd check here and see if anyone is familiar with what might be going on here.

You can probably tell from the pics the lens is a Nikkor-SW 90mm f/4.5. Seems to be in very good condition overall and works well, just not sure what's up with the filter. Would appreciate any insight.

Thanks,
Gary

Jim Jones
17-Jun-2016, 18:41
It does look like there is a thin rim screwed in to the filter threads in comparison to other photos of this model of lens. The household section of Walmart may have a device for gripping several sizes of jar lids that I've found useful for filters, etc.

David Lobato
18-Jun-2016, 05:52
I agree with Jim. it looks like a Series VIII or larger filter holder occupying the front threads.

Jim C.
18-Jun-2016, 07:46
+3 with Jim and David, it also looks like it's cross threaded in the first picture but I'm not
certain because of the angle of the picture.

The natural tendency is to grasp the ring like a bottle cap, or jar cap, the ring is thin and grasping it
that way distorts he ring just enough to lock it in. Try using a rubber glove and the palm of your hand
lightly pressing across the face of the ring, you should be able to take off after a few tries.
If it cross threaded you'll need a filter wrench.

Alan Gales
18-Jun-2016, 09:03
Here you go. Just make sure you buy the correct size.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/807009-REG/Sensei_FW6277_62_77mm_Filter_Wrench_Set.html

Jerry Bodine
18-Jun-2016, 10:02
I agree with the suggestion that it appears cross threaded and may require some extra torque to remove it. I also recall from Leitz literature that, if a filter ring seems stuck (due to ovalization caused by squeezing the ring at TWO points diametrically opposed), it may be possible to remove it by pinching the ring between thumb and forefinger at ONE location on its perimeter and turning. I found that worked well in my Leica days (of course that assumes it's not cross threaded).

gnd2
18-Jun-2016, 12:14
Thanks so much guys, the rubber glove did the trick! What a pleasant surprise to wake up to so many helpful replies. I think it was just a funky reflection that made it look cross threaded, in person it was even all the way around or I would have focused on it for the picture.

Still baffled what this thing is for. It's perfectly smooth everywhere except the threads, no additional ridges or threads for anything to attach to. It's also thinner than any filter or adapter I've seen. Can't imagine it serving any purpose other than maybe protecting the threads? And being a stubborn pain in my butt :) What a relief.

Jim C.
18-Jun-2016, 14:59
Rubber gloves always do the trick ;)

But seriously, glad to hear that it wasn't cross threaded.
I was thinking more about what David posted that it was a Series VIII filter ring but it seems too
thin to be the outer ring of a Series VIII filter holder.

Steven Tribe
18-Jun-2016, 16:41
Some of my Mamiya TLR lenses have a set of similar screw in protection rings.

Alan Gales
18-Jun-2016, 19:28
Some of my Mamiya TLR lenses have a set of similar screw in protection rings.

Yeah, my Mamiya TLR 180mm Super is like that. The taking and viewing lenses were designed so close together that they ended up being very thin where the filter rings are. The chrome trim rings are actually stiffening rings for protection like you said.

Fortunately for Gary, his 90mm Nikkor needs no such ring.