PDA

View Full Version : Question on shutter bulb

davidk
14-Jun-2016, 14:04
I purchased a shutter bulb from Packard Shutter. The bulb end has a wood plug stuffed in it. Since the bulb does not work without the plug, what is the purpose of the plug?

pdh
14-Jun-2016, 14:12
I'd presume the purpose is to make the bulb work ...?

Tin Can
14-Jun-2016, 14:24
Sometimes a weakling like me needs the plug to seal the hole then squeezes as hard and fast as I can. Then the mighty Packard worketh. Hurray.

Other times clumsy person like me removes plug and covers hole with thumb and squeezes carefully to get the shutter to open Only and stay open for focus or long shutter speeds. Opps. I forgot, just at the right moment uncover the hole to maintain openness.

Later leave hole open while squeezing all air out, cover hole and maybe the Packard will close.

I do have problems with this occasionally.

Not kidding. :)

davidk
14-Jun-2016, 14:43
I'd presume the purpose is to make the bulb work ...?

Yes, but that begs the question, why is there a second opening in the bulb if it need to be plugged?

Tin Can
14-Jun-2016, 14:55
Yes, but that begs the question, why is there a second opening in the bulb if it need to be plugged?

Try using it. Try focusing. Try 2 minute exposure.

davidk
14-Jun-2016, 14:59
Try using it. Try focusing. Try 2 minute exposure.

I don't understand your reply. I know that the hole must be plugged for it to work, why would I ever want to remove the plug? why make the bulb with a hole on top?

Jac@stafford.net
14-Jun-2016, 15:01
Uh oh. You didn't accidentally order from Pack Hard Adult Toys did you?

Okay, to be serious - my Packard bulb is different. Same shape, same expressed ring in the middle, but one end has an embedded brass nipple for the hose and the other end a small hole to cover with your finger. No plug at all. HOWEVER, I always use it with my finger over the hole. Maybe Packard finally wised up.

I hope we can figure this out.

Tin Can
14-Jun-2016, 15:08
I don't understand your reply. I know that the hole must be plugged for it to work, why would I ever want to remove the plug? why make the bulb with a hole on top?

Let's see, it was designed 120 years ago and used as is for that long.

Why do you think it has a hole?

I gave you the actual answer in my first reply.

Two23
14-Jun-2016, 15:20
The hole is there so you can open the shutter and leave it open (to focus lens or long multi second exposure.) The plug is there for when you do the fast exposure.

Kent in SD

Tin Can
14-Jun-2016, 15:22
OP is most likely not using it on Packard but a Century IBT which can actuated with bulb with or without the evil hole and plug.

davidk
14-Jun-2016, 15:29
The hole is there so you can open the shutter and leave it open (to focus lens or long multi second exposure.) The plug is there for when you do the fast exposure.

When I remove the plug the shutter does not operate.

A pic of my shutter is attached below (the rubber band was placed there by the previous owner. The shutter needs a cleaning as it won't operate without the shutter)

Tin Can
14-Jun-2016, 15:37
Watch this

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VX0vjt_yAQ8

Jac@stafford.net
14-Jun-2016, 15:46
Watch this

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VX0vjt_yAQ8

Randy Moe, you are the man! Can you refer us to a link in proper English? :)

Tin Can
14-Jun-2016, 16:03
Randy Moe, you are the man! Can you refer us to a link in proper English? :)

https://youtu.be/2VaBLc3Ma4E

Jim Galli
15-Jun-2016, 14:59
Suppose you want to open the packard shutter and leave it open for a time. How do you propose to do that? The bulb has 2 holes (most do not have a wood plug, just the bulb with two holes) so that you can control the functionality of the shutter by simply plugging the open hole with your thumb while squeezing. For focus or really long exposure, you hear it open and move your hand away from the hole. Voila! It stays open. Squeeze a little air out of the bulb, trap the hole and let go; Voila!! the shutter will close again. Hold the hole shut and squeeze / release. The shutter opens and closes. Put the pin in the hole (assuming you have a #6) and close the hole and squeeze. Voila!!! The shutter opens and closes in 1/15th second automatically.

Somehow I figured this out without you tube or forums. I must be a flipping genius!!!!!

Jim Fitzgerald
15-Jun-2016, 15:51
Jim, all these years I have been following your posts and have know all along that you are a genius! My day is complete! I think I'll go squeeze my Packard to celebrate! Thank you! ������

Tin Can
15-Jun-2016, 16:25
Remember when my hands were too weak to squeeze the damn bulb?

I am now a healthier and hearty squeezer.

Practice...

Two23
15-Jun-2016, 17:31
Remember when my hands were too weak to squeeze the damn bulb?

I am now a healthier and hearty squeezer.

Practice...

And OT.

Kent in SD

Tin Can
15-Jun-2016, 17:41
And OT.

Kent in SD

OT? OP is gone? And the topic is how to use the bulb. My reference is how I also had trouble with the bulb at one time. Not OT.

davidk
15-Jun-2016, 18:23
Suppose you want to open the packard shutter and leave it open for a time. How do you propose to do that? The bulb has 2 holes (most do not have a wood plug, just the bulb with two holes) so that you can control the functionality of the shutter by simply plugging the open hole with your thumb while squeezing. For focus or really long exposure, you hear it open and move your hand away from the hole. Voila! It stays open. Squeeze a little air out of the bulb, trap the hole and let go; Voila!! the shutter will close again. Hold the hole shut and squeeze / release. The shutter opens and closes. Put the pin in the hole (assuming you have a #6) and close the hole and squeeze. Voila!!! The shutter opens and closes in 1/15th second automatically.

Somehow I figured this out without you tube or forums. I must be a flipping genius!!!!!

That makes sense, however, mine does not do that. No matter how I manipulate the bulb or thumb, the shutter closes. I can not get it to remain open without keeping pressure on the bulb with the hole on top plugged. I suspect that there is an air leak somewhere. This is why I did not understand its function.

Jon Shiu
15-Jun-2016, 19:00
That makes sense, however, mine does not do that. No matter how I manipulate the bulb or thumb, the shutter closes. I can not get it to remain open without keeping pressure on the bulb with the hole on top plugged. I suspect that there is an air leak somewhere. This is why I did not understand its function.

When the shutter is open, it is in a stable equilibrium state and will stay open and needs no air pressure to stay open. It will close when you give it some vacuum pressure. It's never going to work properly with a rubber band on the piston. Best to open it up and give it a good cleaning and inspection.

Jon

Harold_4074
15-Jun-2016, 19:17
You may be having trouble because your shutter is not a "real" Packard.

I have one which internally is different from the ones sold now, and which will not operate correctly with the air cylinder vertical (as in the first picture of post #11); remove the air pressure and gravity leaves the blades partially open. It will, however, work with the air cylinder horizontal. (Mr. Farinelli of Packard Shutter Company said that he was pretty sure that is the product of some long-defunct manufacturer, and declined to speculate what would be needed to get it to work "normally".)

I would remove the rubber band, check internally for missing or stretched springs, and see how it does with the air cylinder horizontal.

Jim Galli
15-Jun-2016, 20:24

Get rid of the rubber band. Not original to the design. Also they are very simple. Don't be afraid to take it apart and give it a clean up.

davidk
15-Jun-2016, 21:12
Jon, Harold, Jim

Thanks. I am guessing that the rubber band was added by the previous owner because the shutter was not working properly. I will remove the rubber band, take the shutter apart and clean it. Hopefully I can get it back together right and it will work as designed!

I just bought the camera a few weeks ago at a local antique mall. Met the booth owner who turned out to be a retired, local photographer who used the camera professionally. He purchased it used in the 60s. The camera came with a pic of him and the camera from back then. Kinda cool.

davidk
15-Jun-2016, 21:57
Its working!!!!

Turns out that the rubber band was the problem. The shutter works perfectly as you all described once I removed the rubber band. Don't know why the previous owner put it on.

Thanks y'all.

seezee
16-Jun-2016, 12:29
Get rid of the rubber band. Not original to the design. Also they are very simple. Don't be afraid to take it apart and give it a clean up.

If you decide to clean it, do not use any solvents or lubricants. Just a soft brush, compressed air, vacuum. If the piston is sticking, you can use some very fine steel wool to remove any oxidation or corrosion present, taking care to blow/vacuum out any debris from the steel wool afterward. Do not lubricate the piston as any lubricant can potentially gum up over time, and also, the piston must have some friction to stay up when the shutter is open. Avoid getting liquid on the blades, as they are typically made of paper.

Search the forum & you will see some threads on how to clean a Packard.

seezee
16-Jun-2016, 12:30
Its working!!!!

Turns out that the rubber band was the problem. The shutter works perfectly as you all described once I removed the rubber band. Don't know why the previous owner put it on.

Thanks y'all.

Maybe to prevent piston movement during transportation?