Good Luck folks!

Two23
13-Jun-2016, 14:17
I'm a potential buyer but not funder.

Kent in SD

MAubrey
14-Jun-2016, 11:11
Well, I'm in for some 5x7's.

Look's like they'll likely at least hit their initial goal. Their stretch goal is, well, bold.

Peter De Smidt
28-Jun-2016, 08:14
"Second, we are making orthochromatic plates, meaning that they are not sensitive to red light. This characteristic makes the plates perfect for portraits because the emulsion allows concealing the blemishes on the faces, making the skin in the pictures smooth and even" Hmm.

seezee
28-Jun-2016, 09:36
"Second, we are making orthochromatic plates, meaning that they are not sensitive to red light. This characteristic makes the plates perfect for portraits because the emulsion allows concealing the blemishes on the faces, making the skin in the pictures smooth and even" Hmm.

Yeah, I think that actually has the opposite effect. If they want to conceal blemishes they should be making infrared plates.

jnantz
28-Jun-2016, 09:47
Yeah, I think that actually has the opposite effect. If they want to conceal blemishes they should be making infrared plates.

... or the subject can just wear "concealer" ?

seezee
28-Jun-2016, 10:11

Like this? (http://www.cosmeticsandskin.com/cdc/early-movie.php)

jnantz
28-Jun-2016, 13:08
lol maybe,
or just "base" works fine.

plywood
28-Jun-2016, 17:21
Looks interesting but, no spare change to spend on photo hobby this month. (Next several months really, gotta save.) I'll continue to shoot paper in 4x5 as a negative. With 8X10 grade 2, RC paper cut into four 4X5 sheets that is no more than 25 cents per negative, hung up to dry. What can I say, I'm cheap.
But if I had the disposable income..........

Steven Tribe
29-Jun-2016, 02:12
This will surely be a wake-up call for frequently mentioned (but who I have never be able to contact!) facility in one of the newer countries in the EU which apparently has a production line for medical/scientific customers. They are orthochromatic too!

Perhaps they should have thought about the many owners of 1/4, 1/2, 1/1 plate cameras who do have perfect plate holders available?

stefan dinu
29-Jun-2016, 06:29
This is how Eastman had started, maybe they are in for a long ride, hopefully. I was also bewildered by the explanation on the orthochromatic material effect on the portraiture. I shot wet plates from 5 years now and I believe the effect is the other way around.

Jac@stafford.net
29-Jun-2016, 07:16

Orthocake, as opposed to Pancake.

jnantz
29-Jun-2016, 08:17
Orthocake, as opposed to Pancake.

!! yes ;)

seezee
29-Jun-2016, 09:58
I was also bewildered by the explanation on the orthochromatic material effect on the portraiture. I shot wet plates from 5 years now and I believe the effect is the other way around.

I contacted the people making the plates & got this reply:

Hello Chris,
thank you for your interest in our project.

We wrote the description based on our experience.
Thank you so much for your input. We are still doing tests and will post some results later.

Best regards,
Team Galaxy

dwross
29-Jun-2016, 13:50
I believe I see a source of confusion. Wet plate emulsion is not orthochromatic. It is blue sensitive ( sometimes called "colorblind"). Orthochromatic emulsion is sensitized for all colors except orange and red. Before panchromatic emulsion, it was generally considered a great improvement over colorblind emulsion for portraits. Orthochromatic emulsions are used with a yellow filter for full effect. It has a few idiosyncrasies but there is a lot of info on ortho film and portraiture in the historical literature, much of which is available online.

Peter De Smidt
29-Jun-2016, 15:34
Sure, but red will still be darker relative to the representations of the other colors with an ortho plate, and since many blemishes are red, they will be darker relative to the other parts of the picture than if pan film had been used. As a result, they will stand out more, not less, than they would with regular panchromatic film.

Jockos
1-Jul-2016, 03:03
I've tried to get information if it's possible to make a "ambrotype", false positive image on these plates, but no answer..

Nodda Duma
1-Jul-2016, 04:30
Funny. Reading this after coating a bunch of dry plates last night.

jnantz
1-Jul-2016, 06:29
I've tried to get information if it's possible to make a "ambrotype", false positive image on these plates, but no answer..

it IS, but you need a reversal developer to make them with silver gelatin. at the moment
rockland colloid is the only company that commercially makes the developer and they sell it by the gallon
for their sivler gelatin tintype kits/tintype parlor. i've made under exposed dry plates to try to ambrotype too,
but it doesn't really work as well ...you can also PRINT on these, or any dry plates ..

Andrew O'Neill
1-Jul-2016, 18:42
Nice to see they made their goal.

redrockcoulee
5-Jul-2016, 15:15
Looks interesting but, no spare change to spend on photo hobby this month. (Next several months really, gotta save.) I'll continue to shoot paper in 4x5 as a negative. With 8X10 grade 2, RC paper cut into four 4X5 sheets that is no more than 25 cents per negative, hung up to dry. What can I say, I'm cheap.
But if I had the disposable income..........

Xray film is even cheaper than paper. I think I figured it out to .09 for 4X5, .16 for 5X7 and the whole plate a grand cost of .26 per shoot.

too many other projects on hand to start dry plate at this time. We did think about it though