PDA

View Full Version : Center ND filter for a 65mm Nikkor?

Greg
11-Jun-2016, 16:53
Have and use a 65mm f/4 Nikkor-SW. Filter size is 67mm. Have been trying to find a center ND filter for it and have come up cold. Was there one made for this optic?

Bob Salomon
11-Jun-2016, 16:56
No.

EdSawyer
13-Jun-2016, 06:04
Not from Nikon.

Ari
13-Jun-2016, 06:19
Greg, I sent you a PM about contacting the US distributor for Haida filters.
Haida makes centre filters of different sizes; while they may not be original accessories to the lens, they might be right enough to do the job.
The quality of these filters is up to snuff, so it's worth a look.

hiend61
13-Jun-2016, 08:11
Nikon never made center filters, but Nikkor SW series lenses, like your 65 would benefit from use one, like the rest of wide angle lenses from other manufacturers because they all share more or less the same optical design.
You have several options:
1,- Schneider center filter III, designed for Super Angulon 65/5,6 and 75/5,6 lenses. Accepts 86 mm filters in front of it.
2,-Rodenstock center filter 67/86 or 67. Both are identical, but the first one can accept 86mm filters on it, and the second one, which is an older design, doesn´t accept any filter on it because lacks screws in it´s front.
3,- Heliopan W.w ND 0,45 E67/86. Accepts 86 mm filters in front of it.
I had a Nikkor SW 75/4,5, and a Nikkor SW 120/8. I used them with Heliopan Center filters with very good results.
Although the filters mentioned are discontinued, you can probably find new old stock ones (Ask Bob Salomon about Rodenstock) or go to the auctions site.

dave_whatever
13-Jun-2016, 10:43
I use the Rodenstock 1.5 stop 67/86 one on my Nikkor 65/4, which as I understand is about equivalent to a Schneider IIIb. Works great.

EdSawyer
14-Jun-2016, 06:16
IMNSHO, A 65mm works pretty well on 4x5 without a filter. Yes, there's a bit of darkening around the edges but personally I like that look, it helps focus attention on the subject. Also if it's being printed, you can always burn in the edges to help even out exposure.

Bob Salomon
14-Jun-2016, 06:31
IMNSHO, A 65mm works pretty well on 4x5 without a filter. Yes, there's a bit of darkening around the edges but personally I like that look, it helps focus attention on the subject. Also if it's being printed, you can always burn in the edges to help even out exposure.

Not if you are shooting chromes.

Mick Fagan
14-Jun-2016, 17:01

I have a 65m Fujinon and I fit a Heliopan centre graduated ND filter to it for virtually everything I shoot with it, I also print all of my stuff in the darkroom. Trust me when I say that there are times when the look is nice or flattering for the subject, but there are far more times when it is not flattering or a good look. There is also the hardness factor of adjusting for the edges in a gradual manner, especially when the subject is a building with super straight lines. Yes, it can be done, and I consider myself to be quite versed in darkroom procedures, but it is nonetheless, a pain on the easel experience.

After running with the Heliopan centre graduated ND filter on my 65mm lens, life in the darkroom is a breeze. Plus, as Bob mentions, if you are shooting transparency film, it is virtually a no brainer.

Mick.

AtlantaTerry
15-Jun-2016, 21:37
Greg, I sent you a PM about contacting the US distributor for Haida filters.
Haida makes centre filters of different sizes; while they may not be original accessories to the lens, they might be right enough to do the job.
The quality of these filters is up to snuff, so it's worth a look.

Ari, it would have been great if you told us all who the distributor of Haida filters is. In my case, I would be interested on a center graduated ND filter for a 75mm f/6.3 Komura Super W that I use from time to time.

Thanks,
Terry

hiend61
15-Jun-2016, 23:16

If you shot chromes you must use a center filter.

dave_whatever
16-Jun-2016, 00:17
To be fair, there are certain scenes where you can get away without a CF with chrome film, but really it's best to have the option either way.

IanG
16-Jun-2016, 01:26
Ari, it would have been great if you told us all who the distributor of Haida filters is. In my case, I would be interested on a center graduated ND filter for a 75mm f/6.3 Komura Super W that I use from time to time.

Thanks,
Terry

Unfortunately Haida no longer make ND Center filters, which Ari can confirm as he contacted the company for me yesterday.

Ian

hiend61
18-Jun-2016, 04:49
To be fair, there are certain scenes where you can get away without a CF with chrome film, but really it's best to have the option either way.

You´re right Dave, and this image is a good sample. Taken with a Sinar F1 and a Sinar Zoom film holder in 6x7 cm format with an Apo Grandagon N 35/4,5. The sky was too light to be reproduced naturally, and the 2,5 stops lens fall off was of great help. Film was Provia 100F. [ATTACH=CONFIG]151967