PDA

View Full Version : Newbie looking for help on a Synchro Compur shutter

bobbotron
11-Jun-2016, 07:08
Hi everyone. I'm new to LF cameras, my first lens has a Synchro Compur shutter, I can't figure out how to get it to go to "view" mode. The flash selector also has a V setting which seems like it might be view, but I'm not sure how to get it to go to that mode. I'm sure it's something basic, but I don't want to break the shutter mechanism.

Thanks!

https://c8.staticflickr.com/8/7193/27527730871_de9e6ce0f2_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/HWwPkv)

If you're curious, here's the whole lens, mounted on a lens board I just whipped up.

https://c3.staticflickr.com/8/7299/26990345954_00f372cf02_n.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/H83zwj)

LabRat
11-Jun-2016, 07:09
V is the self timer mode... These require a locking cable release and use the B setting...

Steve K

bobbotron
11-Jun-2016, 07:10
Ahhhh, ok, that was my hunch! Thanks!

tonyowen
11-Jun-2016, 07:26
V is the self timer mode... These require a locking cable release and use the B setting...Steve K

Just to clarify, the V is definitely a self timer of about 20s, but you do not need a self locking cable release and do not necessary need to use the B setting.

The V setting can be used at any shutter speed and can (also) be activated by hand tripping the lense's release lever

The X and M are for electronic flash and flash bulb settings.

The V & X can be used simultaneously as the V setting 'chooses' the X setting by default.

regards

Tony

Dan Fromm
11-Jun-2016, 08:01
That the shutter doesn't have a "T" speed means that it is a #00. #00s don't have a blade arrester (your "view" setting).

As has already been mentioned, use "B" with a locking cable release to focus and compose. Or buy a modern 65 mm lens in a modern shutter.

bobbotron
11-Jun-2016, 10:33
I have a cable release with a lock, just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something silly when it had a view setting. I've not even tried the lens yet, and just made lens board for it, I'm not buying a new one yet! :P

That the shutter doesn't have a "T" speed means that it is a #00. #00s don't have a blade arrester (your "view" setting).

As has already been mentioned, use "B" with a locking cable release to focus and compose. Or buy a modern 65 mm lens in a modern shutter.

tonyowen
11-Jun-2016, 12:21
That the shutter doesn't have a "T" speed means that it is a #00. #00s don't have a blade arrester (your "view" setting). As has already been mentioned, use "B" with a locking cable release to focus and compose.

I am very confused. I've a xenar f4.7, 135mm lens which has no 'T' setting but is fitted to a #0 Syncro Compur shutter. On my unit the V is definitely for self timer (delayed action) purposes. If I choose the V setting there is a circa 20s delay before the shutter fires. I view the scene at full or other aperture by using a lever [near to the VXM lever] that opens the shutter to the appropriate aperture chosen for viewing.

Are the comments in this thread (excluding my own) peculiar to the OP's lens?

Please clarify

regards
Tony

IanG
11-Jun-2016, 12:36
Tony, there's a few variations of the Synchro Compur #0 shutter. Not all have T and some have no Pre-view, my own 135mm f4.7 Xenar is in the last type Synchro Compur and does have a pre-view lever, looking at the front it's clockwise on the MXV settings.

The comments here are really about the #00 Compur, actually it's the first time I've seen there was late version, it always surprised me that they never added a preview lever my 65mm f8 SA is Linhof select with the slightly cosmetic Linhof shutter.

Ian

tonyowen
11-Jun-2016, 12:42
Thanks Ian

regards

Tony

Michael E
11-Jun-2016, 17:07
A piece of trivia, just for the record: "V" is short for "Vorlauf" (German for "forerun"). The "B" setting, when used in German context, is short for "beliebig" (arbitrary).

BrianShaw
11-Jun-2016, 19:32
A piece of reality, just for the record: be careful about using the V self-timer unless you know the shutter has been recently serviced. The are prone to jamming if the shutter is dirty or gummy.

Many thanks to Michael for the inspired intro language!

bobbotron
12-Jun-2016, 08:13
Thanks for the heads up. Mine doesn't seem to want to go into that mode... think I'll avoid it for now.

Ron789
13-Jun-2016, 14:11
I can't figure out how to get it to go to "view" mode.

I have an early (1966) Super Angulon 90 F/8 in a Synchro Compur shutter, and it has a small lever to open the lens for viewing - see pictures below. Does your lens have such a lever? If not, use the B speed, as mentioned.

Dan Fromm
13-Jun-2016, 14:49
I have an early (1966) Super Angulon 90 F/8 in a Synchro Compur shutter, and it has a small lever to open the lens for viewing - see pictures below. Does your lens have such a lever? If not, use the B speed, as mentioned.

Not that early, f/8 SAs seem to have been introduced at the 1956 Photokina. By the 1967 catalog 90/8s were in #0 shutters. The OP's lens is a 65/8 SA in #00.

Not that it matters, but my 90/8 SA paperweight, s/n 6621942 was probably made in '60 and is in a #00. The VM says that the #00 isn't strong enough for the 90/8 SA and that the weight of the lens often cracked the shutter's casing. I'm not sure about that, the paperweight's cells are in a #00 whose front tube is somewhat loose in the casing.