Mixed up some D-72 today
-H20.50C3 litters
-metol 12 G
-Sulfite180 G
-Hydroquinone 50 G
-Carbonate 270 G
-Bromide 7 1/2 G
-H2o to make 4 L

I mistakenly added the metol last,,i saw it oxidizing and bubbling,was hard to desulve,but i got it by filtering and crushing in the filter.
My question? is this stock mix now have a shorter shelf life now that i already oxidized it?
thanks for anny input
S

ShannonG
10-Jun-2016, 20:21
one more thing,,is it going to perform like it should if i would have mixed it the correct way?
thanks
s

IanG
11-Jun-2016, 02:18
It'll probably be fine, it should last like normal.

Ian

LabRat
11-Jun-2016, 04:19
The metol will not dissolve in a high sulfite solution, that's why it is added first...

It might work, but the Dmax of the paper might not match the next batch of dev you mix, so be aware...

Oxidation will appear looking like rust/tea colored solution, and if excessive, will stain the paper base...

Give it a shot, but...

Steve K

LabRat
11-Jun-2016, 07:05
Oh, and I should add that when making concentrated stock solutions, if there is any error while mixing, the ingredients will sometimes "fall" out of the solution, leaving a sludge on the bottom of the container, and it might have a strong (usually sulfur) smell... Put this solution in a clear bottle, and check it in a few days or a week to see if it stays clear...

Steve K

ShannonG
11-Jun-2016, 08:54
ok thanks for the information,very helpful,ill do some testing with it.At least i wont make that mistake again,

Cor
16-Jun-2016, 03:12
just adding:

It can be beneficial to weight out the sulphite, add a pinch to the water, solute, and than add the Metol, and when completely soluted add the rest of the sulphite. This seems to prevent rapid oxidation of the Metol, and helps soluting the Metol somewhat it seems.

good luck,

Cor

ShannonG
19-Jun-2016, 07:42
just adding:

It can be beneficial to weight out the sulphite, add a pinch to the water, solute, and than add the Metol, and when completely soluted add the rest of the sulphite. This seems to prevent rapid oxidation of the Metol, and helps soluting the Metol somewhat it seems.

good luck,
ill try that ,thanks for the tip.

Cor

ShannonG
19-Jun-2016, 07:55
so,after doing a few prints on Illford Gallery Clasic FB.im finding that i like the blacks and lower tones (especially after Sel.toning).but the upper tones are a liitle muddy and sometimes the highest tones blow out completely.
How would i correct for this. I will post some test prints when i get to the studio.