PDA

View Full Version : Macro 101...

Whalen
10-Jun-2016, 12:05
If one wanted to photograph documents (say photographs from the newspaper or text around the same size found within the newspaper) where the 4x5 frame would hopefully envelope most of the image (a 1"x1.5" image, so like a 4x enlargement, I suppose) is it better to use a longer lens which will require a tremendous amount of bellows draw or would it be better to use a wider lens and increase the ratio with less of a bellows draw? I never shoot macro, so I am looking for some pointers. I could probably get about 20" or so of bellows with my current set up (which is not luxurious, mind you). I've looked around at various macro forums and most people just talk about flowers (nothing usually flat) and half the time they just keep going back to "shoot digital"...which won't happen.

Thanks in advance

Peter De Smidt
10-Jun-2016, 13:00
Do you have an enlarging lens. If so, try it reversed.

Dan Fromm
10-Jun-2016, 13:54
Hmm. 20" draw. Hmm. Extension = f*(1 + m). 20" = 5f. Hmm.

What is this longer lens of which you speak? Can't be longer than 4".

The cheapies that will do are 75/4.5 or 50/4.5 Tominons as sold for the Polariod MP-4. These screw into the front of a #1 shutter. Alternatively, the same lenses in Polaroid Copal Press shutters as sold for Polaroid GelCams. All are set up for shooting above 1:1, don't have to be reversed. Use as delivered.

Or, as Peter suggested, a reversed enlarging lens.

LabRat
10-Jun-2016, 15:37
And don't forget about close-up lenses... Stopped down, most lenses work OK...

Steve K

Whalen
10-Jun-2016, 16:04
I have an enlarger - not sure how I'd hook it up to use sheet film? I actually have a 75mm Tominon, and then I have a 90mm and a 127mm lens (I know the latter aren't "meant" for macro, but I'm ok with non-perfect imagery). i didn't know if there was a good place to "start" as far as focal lengths...or if having enough bellows draw negates the varying focal lengths?

Whalen
10-Jun-2016, 16:08
Oops - didn't read the enlarger part correctly. Please disregard my post about make-shift enlarger-camera-thing...

Peter De Smidt
10-Jun-2016, 16:33
No worries. As Dan says, try the 75mm Tominon. It's a good lens.