PDA

View Full Version : Dumb Petzval question

Rael
10-Jun-2016, 10:20
I mounted a petzval and a packard shutter to my Agfa, and in order to make it all work, I had to fully extend the petval so that the back end didn't want to stick out too far and interfere with the packard. Is there any drawback to shooting the lens this way? Would I be better with the lens fully retracted and the packard front mounted? Or doesn't it make any difference since I'm focusing with the rails anyway?

Steven Tribe
10-Jun-2016, 10:58
There is a lot of turning torque on the lens board and front standard so bending may take place! Later designed Petzvals in simple barrels had the flange mounting thread at the rear.

IanG
10-Jun-2016, 11:48
The front standard on an Agfa Ansco is so solid it shouldn't make any difference. I'd use the pPackard behing the lens.

Ian

Mark Sawyer
10-Jun-2016, 12:04
Moving the inner barrel forward may put a little more torque on the front standard, but I'd guess moving it back but front-mounting the Packard would put even more torque on the front. Optically, it doesn't matter, so I'd keep it as you have it. As Steven said, later Petzvals had the mounting threads near the rear to accommodate rear-mounted Packard (or other) shutters.

Rael
11-Jun-2016, 04:45
Moving the inner barrel forward may put a little more torque on the front standard, but I'd guess moving it back but front-mounting the Packard would put even more torque on the front. Optically, it doesn't matter, so I'd keep it as you have it. As Steven said, later Petzvals had the mounting threads near the rear to accommodate rear-mounted Packard (or other) shutters.

Thank you - optically is what I was curious about. I wasn't sure if it altered the optical characteristics in any way. Stupidly, i forgot to check before I mounted the packard and since it's actually inside the camera and not attached to the lensboard, it's sort of a pain to take it out.

Misko
18-Jun-2016, 08:04
Optically, there is no difference & no problem for doing it as you did