PDA

View Full Version : Tab on Copal#0 shutter; retaining ring

Uwharrieroger
5-Jun-2016, 20:53
I just purchased a used Schneider super-Angulon f8 90mm lens. What a piece of machinery! I got most of the controls figured out (patting myself on back) but there are two markings -"MX" and "V" I don't understand. They are behind where the shutter cock lever is pushed to, and also in front of a tab on the back of the Copal#0 shutter I haven't figured out- it only has two positions. (See photo- tab is one with small teeth.) Also- the only thing that looks like a retaining ring is a very thin ring of brass(?) (barely visible in photo)that is not threaded but fits over the outside of the rear threads of the shutter. It does not seem tight enough to hold the lens on firmly. Am I missing a part?
I have to say, this forum is already proving indispensable to me!
Thanks,
Roger Robbins151513

Keith Pitman
6-Jun-2016, 05:01
The MX and V are sync settings for flash exposures.

I cannot tell much from your photo, but if you are missing the retaining ring, you can pick them up inexpensively on Ebay like here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Copal-Compur-Prontor-0-Shutter-Lens-Retaining-Ring-For-Large-Format-Camera-/271951052572?hash=item3f518bbf1c:g:W1cAAOSwgQ9VxHh~

Jac@stafford.net
6-Jun-2016, 05:26
M, X and V

M and X are two different flash sync settings. M for bulbs, X for electronic

V is a self-timer

Dan Fromm
6-Jun-2016, 05:42
Are you sure the shutter is a Copal? Compur seems more likely.

mdarnton
6-Jun-2016, 06:11
You are missing the retaining ring. The brass ring is a spacer for putting the.
lens on thinner lens boards than the depth of the threads allows or adjusting focus point on some handheld cameras with minimal adjustments.

LabRat
6-Jun-2016, 06:29
On the rear of the shutter ring there is the external linkage for the iris... Keep this ring from making contact with the lensboard, as this has to move freely... If you are missing the spacer (usually needed), go to the plumbing supply store and look for a thin rubber gasket, or o-ring to create a little space for the linkage to move freely... And as the others have said, find a retaining ring...

Steve K

David Lindquist
6-Jun-2016, 09:38
I'm with Dan, that looks very much like a Compur shutter rather than a Copal. What is shown is identical to the No. 0 Compur in which my 6 inch Gold Dot Dagor (bought new in 1969) is mounted. Except yours is missing the little straight knurled knob-thingy on the end of the preview lever.

I've never used the self timer on mine except to occasionally see if it still works.

David

Uwharrieroger
6-Jun-2016, 10:49
Thanks for all the replies- duh, it IS a Compur- teach me to look next time. Next question: Are Compur/Copal lensboards interchangeable. I'm ordering a retaining ring.

Bob Salomon
6-Jun-2016, 11:15
Thanks for all the replies- duh, it IS a Compur- teach me to look next time. Next question: Are Compur/Copal lensboards interchangeable. I'm ordering a retaining ring.

Most are, but there were som Linhof boards that were specific to the shutter brand.