PDA

View Full Version : Anywhere but SK Grimes for lens aperture plates & remote shutter release mounts?

senderoaburrido
3-Jun-2016, 21:50
I recently got my hands on a SA 75mm (not multicoated) for a steal of a price. The catch was that it didn't have apertures engraved nor does it have the little steel mount where you would normally screw in your remote shutter release. I can see screwholes missing screws, where I assume the plate and fixture were removed from. Can I find these parts for a reasonable price that doesn't include labour of some kind, like at SK Grimes? I know on my 90mm SA there is a plate that the apertures are engraved upon, and so I assume it is the same for the SA 75mm.

Steven Tribe
4-Jun-2016, 01:05
And the shutter is a ...........?

LabRat
4-Jun-2016, 01:54
Well, for the aperture plate, if you are not picky, can be a tape, printed strip label, or other blank strip that can be marked, when you know what the wide open stop is, you can stop down with a digital light meter on the GG (lens aimed at a evenly lit surface), and note/mark where the pointer reads one stop less, and so on... That will get you into the ballpark...

A repair shop might know where to get or have the release block for the shutter...

Good Luck!!!

Steve K

Bob Salomon
4-Jun-2016, 06:28
Precision Camera in Niles, IL

Luis-F-S
4-Jun-2016, 07:25
SK Grimes charges $30 to engrave an aperture. Just how cheap do you think it can be done? L

senderoaburrido
4-Jun-2016, 08:21
And the shutter is a ...........?

Sorry, it is a Copal 0.

Do they also sell the small metal fixture that sits next to the shutter release switch for affixing a remote shutter release cable? The "release block".

SK Grimes charges $30 to engrave an aperture. Just how cheap do you think it can be done? L

I was under the impression they charged a 50$ flat rate. Perhaps I misread the page.

Also, if it's a missing part, instead of one that was never there, I'd like to try and find it here first. Either that or purchase the parts for a pittance and install them myself. SK Grimes is a great place, but shipping to them involves me paying a bit of extra money because I do not live in the United States.

Bob Salomon
4-Jun-2016, 09:47
Sorry, it is a Copal 0.

Do they also sell the small metal fixture that sits next to the shutter release switch for affixing a remote shutter release cable? The "release block".

I was under the impression they charged a 50$ flat rate. Perhaps I misread the page.

Also, if it's a missing part, instead of one that was never there, I'd like to try and find it here first. Either that or purchase the parts for a pittance and install them myself. SK Grimes is a great place, but shipping to them involves me paying a bit of extra money because I do not live in the United States.

Call and ask them. They are the US authorized service center for Linhof and Arca and what you are looking for are common items.

David Karp
4-Jun-2016, 10:36
Perhaps contact Schneider?

koh303
4-Jun-2016, 14:10
You can buy a copal #0 shutter release stock mount on Ebay.
Just search for Copal #0 stock mount.

senderoaburrido
4-Jun-2016, 15:58
You can buy a copal #0 shutter release stock mount on Ebay.
Just search for Copal #0 stock mount.

Wow! Those are way more expensive than I thought.

R. Peters
4-Sep-2016, 09:22
This is wayy late, but Lens N2 Shutter near Seattle also engraves aperture scales:

http://lensn2shutter.com/lensn2shutter.html

Jim Noel
4-Sep-2016, 13:53
This is wayy late, but Lens N2 Shutter near Seattle also engraves aperture scales:

http://lensn2shutter.com/lensn2shutter.html

Is he still in business? I haven't seen any indication of him in years.

senderoaburrido
5-Oct-2016, 15:04

Precision Camera sent me one at the lowest they could charge with shipping. Very nice guys.

Unfortunately, it seems this mount doesn't match the lens. I'm assuming it is because the later 75mm is f/5.6, as the one they sent me looks identical to the one on my SA 90mm MC. Dunno' if I'm going to be able to find this part anywhere.

Ken Lee
5-Oct-2016, 16:00
How much does a box of sheet film cost ?

I've never had anything but perfect results from SK Grimes.

Luis-F-S
5-Oct-2016, 16:39

++1

Greg
5-Oct-2016, 16:58

Ditto... they've mounted over 6 barrel lenses in shutters for me and was always totally happy with their work. 2 or 3 times they even recommended not doing the work I sent them the items to do on.