PDA

View Full Version : need info on large format Kodak lens

alex ambruso
9-Apr-2005, 15:53
I have a Kodak lens with the following markings: AERO-EKTAR f/6.O 24in 610mm 9 x 18
EE 282. The lens has a 20 inch flexible drive cable for aperture contol. Weight is about 10 pounds. The lens is clear and does not exhibit any "browning" reported in other aero-ektars. I've used it sparodically as a 35mm telephoto lens, and as a wide field astronomical telescope.
I may want to remount the lenses to reduce the weight for a larger format frame. Does anyone have, or know where I could possibly get an assembly drawing for this lens? Thanks for any assistance or comments.
Alex Ambruso

Jim Rice
9-Apr-2005, 16:19
Hi, Alex,
I suspect that trying to remout the lens would be fraught with peril particularly if you're not an accomplished machinist with a lathe with a pretty healthy swing. OTOH if you can let go of terrestrial use and your equitorial mount is heavy and accurate enough you could make a really bitching asto-cam.

Jim Rice
10-Apr-2005, 13:31
*astro-cam

Michael S. Briggs
17-Apr-2005, 12:22
I don't know of any measured drawings of this lens. If you are going to make a new barrel of sufficient accurarcy, you will need to be able to measure the new barrel. So you might was well measure the old barrel.

The two that I have seen in person have brown glass. One is from the same year as your lens. They also measure radioactive -- you'd be impressed if you heard a Geiger counter clicking. The rear-most glass element is made with thorium glass. The 24 inch Aero-Ektars are of the Tessar design. Perhaps your lens has seen a lot of sunlight or fluorescent light and been bleached by the UV.

The Aero-Ektar webpage: http://home.earthlink.net/~michaelbriggs/aeroektar/aeroektar.html.