PDA

View Full Version : Compendium vs. Lenshood

MikeN
29-May-2016, 03:22
Hi guys, I guess this subject has been discussed a couple of times and with doing some research in the forum I did try to find reasonable answers but I wasn’t successful on that. Therefore please consider my question:

I’m looking for a filter system to be used on a Linhof TK 4x5 for B&W as well as for color. Currently I’m unsure whether or not I should invest in traditional filters, which are directly mounted on the lens, or if a system like Lee could be more effective. Using the latter one wouldn’t allow me using the TK compendium anymore (due to constrains in mechanical design). But there is also a thing as the Lee Universal Hood (http://www.leefilters.com/index.php/camera-directory/camera-dir-list/category/universal-hood) like a lens hood but a bit more flexible to adjust size. And here is my actual question: Using the Lee hood: Does it work properly on a LF camera? In a LF camera lens and film isn’t necessarily symmetrical: How would a Lee compendium behave while tilt/shifting? Any experiences?

Thank you!

biedron
29-May-2016, 07:43
No doubt someone will disagree (you are asking a question on the internet after all :) ), but for me the Lee hoods work very well. I shoot landscapes, and I don't need ultra precise light blocking that perhaps a compendium could provide. I just need enough flexibility to adjust to prevent flare. Lots of folks use a hat or darkslide or just a hand, so the Lee hood is a big step up from that. I keep an adapter ring on each lens, so attaching the Lee hood is literally a matter of seconds. For some Lee hoods you can get an adapter ring for a polarizer (105mm diameter, I think), so you can have multiple filtration options in the one unit. I use neutral density graduated filters a lot, and the Lee hoods are perfect for that, since all come with filter slots.

My $0.02

Bob

Willie
29-May-2016, 08:12
A compendium hood for studio work is worth the investment. Wratten Gel filters come in larger sheet sizes (or used to - probably have to look at the secondary market now) that can be cut and fit to most any size needed.
Regular lens hoods do a general job but can't be moved and tweaked for specific light blocking needs.

AtlantaTerry
29-May-2016, 22:22
Mike, that Lee lens hood looks a lot like the Lindhal Bel-O-Shade that I have owned for over 30 years. The Lindahl has both a 3" and 4" filter slot.

Here is a Lindahl on FleaBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lindahl-Pro-Lens-Shade-/272256520211?hash=item3f63c0d013:g:HkQAAOSwubRXK8ig

neil poulsen
31-May-2016, 04:32
I've been thinking about how I could use a Universal Lee lens hood that I have. One thing, glass filters will mount onto the Lee adapters that one needs to attach the hood to the lens.

I was also thinking that one could use the largest Lee adapter, and then use wide angle lens stepping rings to attach each lens to that large adapter. Otherwise, on wide lenses, the Lee adapter can itself potentially vignette the image.

It's also possible to attach the following . . .

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/101733-REG/LEE_Filters_LHR_Lens_Hood_Rails_with.html

to the top and bottom of the hood so as to horizontally slide a 4x5 ratio mask onto the end of the hood. If this mask is square, it could be used either in the portrait or landscape orientation. One can make their own masks from mounting board.

Drew Wiley
31-May-2016, 08:48
I prefer to put the filter as close to the lens as possible, and use a multicoated glass filter, then with the Lee or Lindahl or adapter ring screwed into the filter. But these are obviously designed for their own slide-in filter system too. It's a nice system for cameras which do not have their own dedicated compendium shade.

AtlantaTerry
31-May-2016, 20:29
It's a nice system for cameras which do not have their own dedicated compendium shade.

Does anyone have any thoughts how I might put something like a compendium onto the front of my new Chamonix 045F1 camera?

What about attaching something to the cold shoe atop the front standard?

Yes, I plan to have Step Rings for each lens so I can use the Lindahl Bel-O-Shade.

Drew Wiley
1-Jun-2016, 09:47
The Lee system lets you attach their bellows shade directly to the lens using a thread adapter, analogous to a step ring. The bellows holds its shape when adjusted.
But this will obviously add a bit more weight and potential wind tug to your front standard. But for quick operation what I have done to a couple of my cameras
is to mount a flex joint to the cold shoe, then attach a flip shade to this, which remains in place, and can be compacted with the camera itself. A full compendium
can still be used if necessary. I made the joint out of some old drafting pen components, and the shades from spare darkslides.

austin granger
5-Jun-2016, 20:43
Mike, hi. I have that same Lee hood and to answer your question, yes, I have occasionally run into problems with vignetting when using heavy movements, this with a 180 lens on 5x7 film. Also, I have to confess that more than once I've switched my camera back to vertical or horizontal and forgotten to rotate the rectangular hood, with disastrous results. You probably wouldn't do that, but it's something to think about. On the positive side, I do like how you can tweak the bellows to better shade the lens, and it works great with standard/long lenses. So I guess I have mixed feelings; it's a piece of equipment I've used so long that I've stopped considering other options.