PDA

View Full Version : How can I improve this expired film?

Daniel.E
27-May-2016, 14:05
I got some film holders that came with some film. I have no idea how expired it could be. I shot some sheets and the negatives came out very thin. I'm pretty new at developing and I was wondering what can I do to improve the next batch. I used Xtol 1:1 and rated them at half box speed. I have some Rodinal and just ordered some New55 R5 monobath that I'm planning on using with the next I go out to shoot.

This is what they look like.
Thanks!

domaz
27-May-2016, 14:53
These negatives look ok to me, maybe a little thin but hard to tell using an off-the-cuff photo like that. Have you tried scanning or contact printing them?

Daniel.E
27-May-2016, 14:57
A couple of days later I shot this that looked like night and day.

I somewhat fixed those in post processing but I was wondering if there would be something I could do during developing. I haven't done any contact printing yet.

jnantz
27-May-2016, 15:53
i have never been able to get good negatives out of xtol, used it religiously to try to get it to work for a few years
if you got equally thin negatives the 2nd time, i was going to say .. use a "better" developer.
glad you got it to work.

Daniel.E
27-May-2016, 16:08
I omitted some information, the second sheets I developed were a different stock. Once I got those I realized the expired negatives were thin and thought I should compensate somehow during developing.

scheinfluger_77
28-May-2016, 06:11
I got some film holders that came with some film. I have no idea how expired it could be. I shot some sheets and the negatives came out very thin. I'm pretty new at developing and I was wondering what can I do to improve the next batch. I used Xtol 1:1 and rated them at half box speed. I have some Rodinal and just ordered some New55 R5 monobath that I'm planning on using with the next I go out to shoot.

This is what they look like.
Thanks!

Try cutting the speed in half again. I think there is potential here and the base fog doesn't appear to be severe. Depending on how much post processing you did when scanning the negatives of course.

Daniel.E
28-May-2016, 07:15
Thank you, I'll try that next.

Jim Noel
28-May-2016, 10:30
The first pair appear to be Kodak Commercial Ortho which I used at an EI of 25. The second pair is less familiar, but the shape of the notches is similar to those used by Ansco. I can't find a more modern film using this style of notches.

Jim Noel
28-May-2016, 10:40
The other possibility for the first pair is Kodak Ortho Copy which had a recommended speed of 12.

Daniel.E
28-May-2016, 10:41
The first two pictures I think are TMY 400. The notch code looked identical from what I found online. The second set is Ilford HP5.

Daniel.E
28-May-2016, 10:42
If those are EI of 25 then that would explain everything. I rated those negatives at 200!