View Full Version : Sources and info: Rubber stamps and archival inks

John W. Randall
7-Apr-2005, 19:21
I've searched the archives, but am coming up short on some of the answers I need. Assuming that use of a custom rubber stamp, combined with some type of archival ink to stamp the backs of either photos or the mats enclosing them, is still appropriate, what is a good source for such a custom rubber stamp, and a like source for archival ink to use with that stamp? Specific sources are encouraged.

Stamping the mat, rather than the photograph, seems safer to me. Is there a consensus, either on stamping the print, or on stamping the mat?

How large should the rubber stamp be? Information I plan to include in the stamp area, once the stamp ink has been applied, and has dried, includes: Name of print. Number of print. Date photographed or printed. My signature.

Once I turn the print, or the mat with the enclosed print, over to perform the stamping operation, what side am I going to stamp - left bottom of the rear or right bottom of the rear?

Thank you all for your responses.

Best regards,

mark anderson
7-Apr-2005, 20:37
check with your banker, the same comapny that prints your checks will also suppy rubber stamps. i am not sure how "arciveable" the inks are but you coud inqirer to the company directly. cost about $20

Will Strain
7-Apr-2005, 22:53
Most major office supply stores have services that will make a custom stamp for you.

A self inking stamp - you'll have a hard time controlling what ink they put in...but if you just get a regular one - you can certainly find archival inks. Look at Pearl art supply, and Paper Source for scrapbooking materials. You should find stamping as part of that.

Robert Skeoch
8-Apr-2005, 04:56
I just had one made up, and haven't even used it yet. I had it done at Staples, a large office supply store in Canada, I'm not sure if they're in the US or not. About $30. I included my name and address, title of print, location, date photographed, (just the year)date printed, film, paper, copywrite mark.I plan to stamp the mountboard back away from area the print would be in front of. Hope this helps. Rob Skeoch

Frank Petronio
8-Apr-2005, 05:12
A soft pencil on the back of the print seems to be the safest and surest. Mats and prints often become separated over the years, and a regular pencil is archival.

8-Apr-2005, 06:08
I mostly work in Pt/Pd........As an old master printer once told me...." Always pencil .....never ink"Also, why rubber stamp anything. Why not sign and list info in your own hand. Do you sell so many prints that it is so time consuming you need to rubber stamp a few hundred? You do understand that a rubber stamp can be duplicated easily. I think most collectors would prefer your info in your own hand. For instance, would you buy an original Weston that was rubber stamped or the one Edward signed himself.

Mike Davis
8-Apr-2005, 07:17

The rubber stamp is not instead of a signature, but in addition to a signature. As a matter of fact, most Weston's and Adams' prints will be rubber stamped and have their signature. A Weston print might also indicate who printed and shot the photo (ie negative by Edward, print by Cole, Brett, Kim, etc).

An example of this can be found at: http://www.kimweston.com/onsale/onsale_ewkw.htm

Frank Petronio
8-Apr-2005, 07:23
I made an embossing stamp with my name in a typeface the same as my logo. I emboss my prints with a subtle raised name, in the border, where most signatures go. It seems less intrusive than a signature and, since, few others do it, kind of nice.

Henri-Cartier Bresson did the same thing based on the prints I've seen. Steal from the best...

8-Apr-2005, 19:50
Frank, I think some of Frederick Evans' later prints were embossed. I know many were signed FHE but I think he used an embossing tool on some of his later works. It's a great way to sign and you could also free hand your emblem or intials with an embossing pen ....in case you don't have that one of a kind stamp. But a stamp is a great idea.

Anne Williams
10-Apr-2005, 06:44

For archival inkpads, check any scrapbooking store in your area. Craft stores like Hobby Lobby or Michaels also sell them. I pulled out one that I have that is called "Ancient Page" and is marked "acid-free archival waterproof dye inkpad'. The website listed on the back is www.clearsnap.com, but I bought it at a scrapbooking store.

John W. Randall
10-Apr-2005, 20:14
Thanks to all responders.

Anne, I think you hit the bullseye with Clearsnap. They show something on their web site called "Ancient Age" archival ink. It will probably do the trick. Many colors. Largest stamp pad size is 2" and change by 3" and change. That should be about right.

Embossing, at least when using the products Clearsnap offers, seem to need 300 degree heat as part of the drying and/or curing process. I think I'll stay Clear from that until I understand the various embossing methods a bit more.

Thanks again, folks.

Best regards,

16-May-2012, 23:12
Many sizes and different style available in Rubber stump, if you want to answer this question.
pls click on this site

Rubber Stamps (http://acornsaless.com/)