PDA

View Full Version : Day tripping around Salt Lake/Snowbird

Jonathan Lee
6-Apr-2005, 14:14
I'm skiing at Snowbird/Salt Lake City next week and I'm looking for a day photo trip for non-ski days. I searched the archives and Heber City was suggested. I'm looking for desert/rocks that will be snow-free this time of year. Half-day hikes are about as long as I want to venture into the wildenress. Is Heber City a good place? Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Curtis Nelson
6-Apr-2005, 16:22
If you're looking for Moab-type desert, you'll need to travel about 5 hours to find it. However, if all you want is run-of-the mill sagebrush and nothing desert, you can see that anywhere west of SLC. You could try the salt flats off I-80 near Wendover - they're always interesting.

If you're up for the trip, you could try visiting Great Basin NP in Nevada - it's probably not quite as far as Moab.

Eureka, UT (http://www.ghosttowngallery.com/ghostsut/eurekaut05.jpg) is a pretty interesting mining town - there's a few old buildings on main street. Take I-15 south to Santaquin (about 1 hour south of SLC), then head west about 30 miles.

Hope this helps

Jonathan Lee
6-Apr-2005, 16:51
Curtis,

ooohh, ghost town sounds like fun...

thanks for the tip.

Curtis Nelson
6-Apr-2005, 20:21
It's not quite a ghost town (I'm not quite sure why the picture was on a ghost town site), but it is slowly dying.