PDA

View Full Version : Fuji Astia 100f - Need Advice

rodney@theloughroad.com
16-May-2016, 08:44
Hello Forum...someone asked me a question that I don't really know the answer to. And I hoping for a bit of a history lesson here and also a question (or two) of my own. I have about 300 sheets of 8x10 Astia 100f remaining in my freezer. And, am looking to work on a project to use the remaining sheets on.

The general question posed to me was: Is there any of this film remaining or are my 8x10 sheets the last "on the planet"? And if so, what is so special about this film?

Ok, for me the film is by far the best daylight balance transparency film I've ever used - so by my loughly standards makes it the bees knees. My two questions are: Am I right? and why/why not? and: anyone know why they stopped making it?

Thanks for your feedback/input. Much appreciated.

Drew Wiley
16-May-2016, 09:06
No. They're not the very last. A have a box or two of 8x10 in my freezer too. And yes, it is the bee's knees. But Astia in general never sold well compared to its
glitzier cousins, Velveeta and Provia; and chrome film in general has reduced demand since the Digital Revulsion. The average photographer didn't understand the
difference between how well a particular film prints, versus how it looks on a lightbox. I consider Astia 100F the best balanced film ever made. I used a lot of it
for making chrome sheet film dupes, but also shot it at times. Everything is market driven. Sad but true.

Sal Santamaura
16-May-2016, 10:03
...The average photographer didn't understand the difference between how well a particular film prints, versus how it looks on a lightbox...I disagree with your implied premise, namely that it didn't look as good on a light box as the more saturated alternatives did. In my opinion, it was far better than Velvia and Provia in direct visual observation too, not just for printing. It was the best E-6 transparency film ever made, period.

Drew Wiley
16-May-2016, 10:21
This is the era of worshipping super-saturation, Sal. Even Velvia looks tame compared to what they're doing in Photoshop. Astia inventories in all formats were
getting outdated on the shelf. A simple search on the web would probably land a thousand times more hits on Velvia than Astia. Most people never understood the practical differences. They just wanted sugar and honey and jam. That's what I meant by how the chrome looks on a light box. Astia was wonderfully balanced even under tungsten illumination at relatively long exposures (appropriately filtered, of course). Fuji's CDUII was just tungsten-balanced old-style Astia, and was distinctly superior to Kodak's EDupe. Astia 100F worked even better. But yeah, them wahr the days.

rodney@theloughroad.com
16-May-2016, 11:58
Drew - I did a search trying to find if there was anymore Astia 100f 8x10 boxes around/available and couldn't find any - but that obviously is not to say there are not more hold outs like us about. There are after all a lot of freezers on this planet.

Drew Wiley
16-May-2016, 11:59
Did you check Japanese sources?

rodney@theloughroad.com
16-May-2016, 12:01
Did you check Japanese sources?

I called Fuji. They said there was none that they knew of...but then again they stopped making the film, if you catch my drift.

Drew Wiley
16-May-2016, 12:53
You called Fujifilm USA? They don't give a damn about these things, never did. You need to research Japanese stores. Try Japan Exposures or see if Daniel Stone has stumbled onto any, given his source. It was still available in 8x10 in Japan not too long ago.

Jim Becia
16-May-2016, 14:42
You called Fujifilm USA? They don't give a damn about these things, never did. You need to research Japanese stores. Try Japan Exposures or see if Daniel Stone has stumbled onto any, given his source. It was still available in 8x10 in Japan not too long ago.

Drew,

There has been no Astia over in Japan for at least several years. I have/had a contact there and he said inventories of it dried up a long time ago. I had him search for me. I also have 2 50 sheet boxes left in my freezer also. That they are 50 sheet boxes tells you they are quite "dated" but they seem to look fine.

Sal,

Personally, I actually find Astia "muddy" sometimes. Maybe I do not use it for the right type of image. I disagree with you that Astia looks better than Velvia on a light table, at least in my opinion. Again, I think the circumstances will dictate how the film looks. I think it all depends on the situation. I am trying to use it in maybe a more contrasty situations where it tends to work out well. However, that being said, I have not scanned many sheets yet, so in terms of scanning/printing, I will defer to those who have. Matter of fact, I have visited Rodney's gallery in Las Vegas and can attest to his Astia images being quite excellent in their appearance. Unfortunately, Astia rode off into the sunset along time ago, and I guess other chrome films will eventually follow. By the time I really got serious using large format film, it was pretty much on its way out so my experience is not as extensive with Astia as it was with Provia and Velvia 50. Fortunately, my freezer now has enough (hopefully) to last for a long time.

Drew Wiley
16-May-2016, 15:28
My other favorite chrome film was E100G.

rodney@theloughroad.com
16-May-2016, 16:49
Matter of fact, I have visited Rodney's gallery in Las Vegas and can attest to his Astia images being quite excellent in their appearance.

Thanks for that Jim!

swmcl
16-May-2016, 18:02
If you go to Japan Exposures

http://www.japanexposures.com/shop/film-analog/film/sheet-film/?features_hash=6-258

you will see boxes for sale of said Astia 100F in 8x10 for

30,994.00 JPY = 284.473 USD

I assume they are in stock and will sell and ship.

Jim Becia
17-May-2016, 06:28
If you go to Japan Exposures

http://www.japanexposures.com/shop/film-analog/film/sheet-film/?features_hash=6-258

you will see boxes for sale of said Astia 100F in 8x10 for

30,994.00 JPY = 284.473 USD

I assume they are in stock and will sell and ship.

Check again, it says out of stock.

onnect17
17-May-2016, 07:33
Astia did the job as intended, good skin tones and low contrast. But IMHO, E100G was/is a better balanced and overall film.

Daniel Stone
17-May-2016, 09:24
Astia was a tremendous film, I have 2-10sht boxes of 8x10 in my freezer, and no, they're not for sale ;)
E100G was/is a tremendous film as well, albeit different. I found I needed a warming filter more with it, however. My remaining stash is something I've considered liquidating, since my color needs are being well met by Ektar 100 and Portra 400(I'm trying to "standardize" across my formats going forward).
"Hindsight is 20/20", they say. I wish I had the foresight to stockpile a bunch of 4x5 while Astia was still available easily, circa 2008-2010, and I worked at Samy's here in LA. I remember when I started, the Fuji rep brought me in a box of 35/120, a "sample pack" I guess you could say. About 30-40 rolls of E6, C41 and B/W films. Most of those emulsions are now gone(160S, 160C, 800Z, Astia, Sensia, 1600 Neopan, 400 Neopan(great in 120!), etc...), but I got to experiment, and Fuji paid for the processing.

-Dan

Drew Wiley
17-May-2016, 09:26
In any event, 300 sheets is a LOT to already have. You need to do something with it before E6 sheet processing becomes scarce, and more importantly, before
highlight crossover sets in, which is the way Astia first shows its age. The second symptom will be that old film will start going bland much quicker than fresh
film once you do thaw it. Gosh, I'm sorting through my remaining 8x10 chromes and wondering if I'll have enough time left in my life to print even dozen of them. They're in the back of the line behind newer color as well as b&w negatives. Of course, quite a few were printed already via Cibachrome. Now the question is whether my little stash of Ciba in the freezer is still good or not.

swmcl
18-May-2016, 16:04
I apologise. I didn't drill down to open the webpage for the product. I guess that means they expect to get more stock at some point otherwise they'd remove it from their listings ...

8x10 Velvia 100 is available though!

Gawd that must be delicious.

Sal Santamaura
18-May-2016, 20:52
I apologise. I didn't drill down to open the webpage for the product. I guess that means they expect to get more stock at some point otherwise they'd remove it from their listings...That's incorrect. They're just delinquent in removing it from their Web site. Astia and many other long-gone Fuji film items.

Drew Wiley
19-May-2016, 13:50
Sometimes obsolete availability information remains on websites for years before someone removes it. Some outfits deliberately show all kinds of things they
neither have nor can get, just to suck you into their vortex for the relatively few things they do have. I'm not implying that's the case here. Any sizable sales outfit
is going to have a degree of dysfunction or delayed communication between the inventory side and the geeks who manage the web aspect. One of the very few
companies who seems to have truly cured that flaw is McMaster Carr; but it's easier done when everything is is a controlled warehouse environment than subject
to the foibles of a retail store too.