PDA

View Full Version : Who shoots an Ebony 45SU? Is it the last 4x5 (field) I'll ever need?

Paul Cunningham
15-May-2016, 11:16
Granted my Toyo 45CF (with a fleet of lenses) is practical and can do *most* things, but ultra-rigid it is not, nor ultra-flexible.

If you are shooting a 45SU, have you found it able to do everything you've asked of it? Have you considered a different 4x5 instead of, or in addition?

I'm not sure if I'm trying to talk myself into or out of one of the last of these cameras, but I'd like to hear your direct experiences. I'm less interested in hypotheticals from those who have not used an Ebony 4x5. :) Thanks, Paul

Bob Mann
15-May-2016, 12:04
I have an Ebony 4x5 (SV45Ti) which folds.

I also have an Ebony 23S, which like 45su does not fold - I often carry it with a lens attached which makes setting up very fast.

I like both designs, the 23S is quick to set up and the SV45 has a longer bellows. I think your decision should be based on how often you would need the additional bellows length and what lens lengths you intend to use vs how often you need to do a very quick set up. I do not like using extension lens boards and rarely am in a hurry to set up, so I personally would prefer the folding model.

Just to be clear - I am an Ebony "fan" who has been able to trade up over the years from other makes to Ebony and like the traditional design and controls.

drew.saunders
15-May-2016, 14:31
Granted my Toyo 45CF (with a fleet of lenses) is practical and can do *most* things, but ultra-rigid it is not, nor ultra-flexible.

If you are shooting a 45SU, have you found it able to do everything you've asked of it? Have you considered a different 4x5 instead of, or in addition?

I'm not sure if I'm trying to talk myself into or out of one of the last of these cameras, but I'd like to hear your direct experiences. I'm less interested in hypotheticals from those who have not used an Ebony 4x5. :) Thanks, Paul

I've been using a 45SU since 2008, before that I had a Tachihara 4x5. I found this for your Toyo: http://www.toyoview.com/Products/45CF/45CF.html

I can't compare to the Toyo, but it looks like the Toyo offers 15 degrees of front center tilt, in addition to base tilt. The 30 degree front tilt on the Ebony has always been enough for me. The assymetric rear tilt and swing took a little time to get used to, but it works really well. Here's an article explaining how it works: http://www.ebonycamera.com/media/asymmetrical.movements.pdf

It's more rigid than the Tachihara was, but I don't know if it's more rigid than your Toyo. The non-folding design is supposed to be more rigid than a folding design.

Front and rear focus is more useful than I thought it would be. I tend to use the front focus and/or the front extra extension for a quick focus, and rear (because the knobs are closer) for more fine focus.

I have the wide angle focusing screen in a separate focusing frame, and it makes a huge difference with an 80mm lens, and is nice to use with a 120 or 125mm lens, but I can use the 125mm with the standard focusing screen most of the time.

For both the front and rear, shift and swing are released by the same knob, so you have to be mindful not to swing when doing shift. It's easy to un-do any unwanted swing when you're using shift, as it re-sets to the zero position for swing easily enough. Some might not like having one control for both. Rise/fall and tilt are separate knobs.

The 45SU isn't a super lightweight camera. I bought it in ebony wood, but would get mahogany if I were to buy it again.

Drew

Paul Cunningham
16-May-2016, 13:14
Bob,
I agree that bellows lengths would/should be a factor in the decision. All things considered, a bit more extension would be important for me. Apparently Ebony has considered this and the problem can be quickly and expensively (sic) solved using their back extender.

More important for me than quick setup is light weight and movements, which taken together biases me toward the non-folding SU model rather than the 45S.

I have an Ebony 4x5 (SV45Ti) which folds.

I also have an Ebony 23S, which like 45su does not fold - I often carry it with a lens attached which makes setting up very fast.

I like both designs, the 23S is quick to set up and the SV45 has a longer bellows. I think your decision should be based on how often you would need the additional bellows length and what lens lengths you intend to use vs how often you need to do a very quick set up. I do not like using extension lens boards and rarely am in a hurry to set up, so I personally would prefer the folding model.

Just to be clear - I am an Ebony "fan" who has been able to trade up over the years from other makes to Ebony and like the traditional design and controls.

Tim Meisburger
16-May-2016, 16:27
The 45s is also non-folding. I think it has about 270mm extension, which is (I think) less than the SU (which has asymmetrical tilt). If you want lighter, go for the mahogany version. I worried a lot about bellow length when I was trying to decide which Ebony to buy, so I started measuring extension when I was shooting my other 4x5s, and I found that the 270mm was very easily enough for the way I use a camera in the field. 135mm is my most used lens, but I also shoot occasionally up to 210 and have a 360mm tele that I almost never use. I also have a studio 4x5 with very long bellows, in case I want to shoot macro.

Anyway, the 45s is the last 4x5 I'll ever need, and the su is better.

Paul Cunningham
24-May-2016, 14:16
Thanks everyone for the input. I pulled the trigger today on a new one with the 90mm extension back option. Now the waiting begins.

drew.saunders
24-May-2016, 18:18
Congratulations! You won't be disappointed, and if you are, someone who waited too long to buy will happily buy it off of you. If I regularly shot with a lens longer than 300mm, I'd consider a top hat lensboard. I'm debating getting a wide angle bellows for mine while I can still get one new.

Paul Cunningham
26-May-2016, 11:16
I'm debating getting a wide angle bellows for mine while I can still get one new.

Thanks Drew. It's tempting to pick up a few "extras" for the future, like WA Bellows and WA focusing screen, but harder for me to justify the cost at the moment. I am thinking about the WA fresnel (only), which is inexpensive enough, then I could swap it in if my world changes.

There may be some small parts available into the future, who knows. When ordering from Robert White in the U.K., they mentioned that of course the camera would be specially built, but that the extension backs are currently in stock.

drew.saunders
26-May-2016, 11:49
Thanks Drew. It's tempting to pick up a few "extras" for the future, like WA Bellows and WA focusing screen, but harder for me to justify the cost at the moment. I am thinking about the WA fresnel (only), which is inexpensive enough, then I could swap it in if my world changes.

There may be some small parts available into the future, who knows. When ordering from Robert White in the U.K., they mentioned that of course the camera would be specially built, but that the extension backs are currently in stock.

The WA Fresnel requires that you're able to disassemble the focusing frame, which is no simple task, and re-assemble it correctly. It's more useful if you know you'll never want to use the regular fresnel any more. I have the WA frame, and it's an easy swap between the two, even in the field.

Paul Cunningham
26-May-2016, 12:00
Drew, that is what I was thinking. By the way, which lenses/apertures are you using for 80, 120/5mm, etc.?

drew.saunders
26-May-2016, 12:54
Paul,

80/4.5 SSXL, which really requires the WA focusing screen.

I used the 120/5.6 APO-Symmar (pre-L) and now have an older 125/5.6 Fujinon-W (single coated version). Both really benefit from the WA focusing screen, but can be used reasonably well with the regular screen.

I have a 135/5.6 Symmar that's about the same with the WA or regular screen. From my experience, 125/120 and shorter is where the WA screen is beneficial.

Paul Cunningham
31-May-2016, 06:53
For anyone interested, there is an extension back currently listed on eBay. (Not mine).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk