PDA

View Full Version : What do I have? Century 7A, Packard shutter, Usener lens

davidk
14-May-2016, 16:54
-Is this a Century 7A?

-What does the “A” designate?

-The Packard shutter had a rubber band attached to it when I purchased it. The plunger will not fall downward without it. Is it broken? Am I missing a part? Does it just need to be cleaned? Or is the rubber band required?

-Is the 4x5 back in the photo original?

-Is the back for sheet film or glass plates?

-Anyone know where I can purchase an original 8x10 or 5x7 back for this camera?

-The lens is engraved No 8034 CF Usener New York. Can anyone tell me its age? Focal length? Anything else about it?

-Two waterhouse stop plates were included. How many would be used with that lens?

150893 150894 150895 150896

Site will only allow to post 4 pics. More pics in next post - Sorry, don't know why I can't post vertical pics.

davidk
14-May-2016, 16:56
150898 150897 150899 150900

Peter De Smidt
14-May-2016, 18:28
It looks like a 7a. Richard Ritter can make you a back. Try cleaning the Packard.

Paul Ewins
14-May-2016, 19:05
Interesting that the engraving for the serial number is so similar to the way Voigtlander did it. I wonder if the engraver had practice doing numbers for the Voigtlander fakes. I don't know what the A in 7A means, but I own an 8x10 1B which was made in the UK, so there maybe something about the location or market involved.

davidk
14-May-2016, 20:26
It looks like a 7a. Richard Ritter can make you a back. Try cleaning the Packard.

I found him and emailed him. Looking for an old back, not to have a new one made

Peter De Smidt
14-May-2016, 20:32
Well, then, Ebay or here. Post a WTB when you meet the for sale forum requirements. I expect they're pretty rare, as anyone with a camera would be foolish to sell the 8x10 back.

goamules
14-May-2016, 20:43
The Usener lens is an American radial drive Petzval portrait lens. It is from an earlier generation than the camera, he made the glass for several other lens companies, such as Holmes Booth Haydens. I'd have to check my notes for then he actually made and engraved his own brass barrels, but shortly after the Civil War. I'd say it's from about 1868. There is no way for us to tell you the focal length, there are no records, and they didn't mark the lenses with sizes. You have the lens, focus the camera on a distant tree, measure from the ground glass to the waterhouse slot. That's the focal length. They would have sold it with a full set of stops, about 5-7 during that time.

The camera is from about 1901.

Someone got a little ambitious cleaning and polishing the lens, unfortunately, and removed any patina it would have had. It was overpolished.

davidk
14-May-2016, 20:56
The Usener lens is an American radial drive Petzval portrait lens. It is from an earlier generation than the camera, he made the glass for several other lens companies, such as Holmes Booth Haydens. I'd have to check my notes for then he actually made and engraved his own brass barrels, but shortly after the Civil War. I'd say it's from about 1868. There is no way for us to tell you the focal length, there are no records, and they didn't mark the lenses with sizes. You have the lens, focus the camera on a distant tree, measure from the ground glass to the waterhouse slot. That's the focal length. They would have sold it with a full set of stops, about 5-7 during that time.

The camera is from about 1901.

Someone got a little ambitious cleaning and polishing the lens, unfortunately, and removed any patina it would have had. It was overpolished.

Thanks for the info. I had no idea how to measure the focal length, thanks. Yes, it was over polished. I purchased it that way. I would have preferred the original patina as well.

goamules
15-May-2016, 06:19
It's not that big a deal. Look at it this way; all brass lenses were polished then varnished to keep them shiny. Over the years, some makes' varnish wears off (especially American lenses, but part of that is they are a lot older than most of the Dallmeyers you see). The exposed brass becomes tarnished, and like everyone does to sterling silver, they polished it. It was probably polished 2, 3, or 10 times since 1875 or so. So if done carefully, it's not that bad, the "original finish" is varnished brass, not "patina." If you handle your shiny lens for a year or two, and don't put a coat of wax on it (car wax, renaissance wax), it too will develop an amazing, "old" patina - in about 5 years.

Useners are good lenses, I have a few of them. That looks like a pretty large one too, which is less common, and more useful. Enjoy it, it will take fantastic portraits!

Here is one of mine, in halfplate size and nickle plated:

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5536/9471860007_60a9a2b949_b.jpg

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5322/9474646934_af04fbbcec_b.jpg

davidk
15-May-2016, 08:22
Thanks, thats the same engraving as mine. By your measurement method, I calculate it to be 350mm. The engraving looks pristine, so fortunately, the polishing did not damage it

davidk
15-May-2016, 08:24
Anyone know if the camera used film or glass plates back then?

jnantz
15-May-2016, 09:47
-Is this a Century 7A?

-Anyone know where I can purchase an original 8x10 or 5x7 back for this camera?

you might be lucky and find a free back/s.
i have a century 8A and it took me IDK 10 years go find a back for it
but i had to buy a camera with the back ... so it wasn't just a back.
http://www.historiccamera.com/cgi-bin/librarium2/pm.cgi?action=app_display&app=datasheet&app_id=1462
there is info on your camera and when it was made &c.
i can't remember what the "A" means, i think it was the upgrade package ( dark color wood &c ).
and if you are interested in learning about the camera stand:
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?22576-The-Century-quot-Semi-Centennial-quot-stand/page2

have fun with your camera

davidk
15-May-2016, 18:15
you might be lucky and find a free back/s.
i have a century 8A and it took me IDK 10 years go find a back for it
but i had to buy a camera with the back ... so it wasn't just a back.
http://www.historiccamera.com/cgi-bin/librarium2/pm.cgi?action=app_display&app=datasheet&app_id=1462
there is info on your camera and when it was made &c.
i can't remember what the "A" means, i think it was the upgrade package ( dark color wood &c ).
and if you are interested in learning about the camera stand:
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?22576-The-Century-quot-Semi-Centennial-quot-stand/page2

have fun with your camera

Thanks!

Two23
15-May-2016, 19:07
Anyone know if the camera used film or glass plates back then?

Most likely dry plates. They were preferred because the film plane was perfectly flat.

Kent in SD

davidk
15-May-2016, 21:16
Most likely dry plates. They were preferred because the film plane was perfectly flat.

Kent in SD

Thank Kent in SD

Peter De Smidt
16-May-2016, 06:16
Most of them that I see have film backs, including mine.

jumanji
16-May-2016, 06:55
Is it about 24.5 cm high and 13.2 cm hood diameter? If so I think I have a same lens as yours.

Jac@stafford.net
16-May-2016, 06:56
Most of them that I see have film backs, including mine.

Century stuck to glass plates even while film was rising in popularity. However, like yours my 9A has been changed to 8x10 sheet film, as well as having a 4x5 reducing back (film).

jnantz
16-May-2016, 07:30
the 1902 catalog says their view cameras were outfitted for both plates and film
http://www.piercevaubel.com/cam/catalogs/1902centurylp758.htm
others are here: http://www.piercevaubel.com/cam/catalogscentury.htm
it wouldn't surprise me if the portrait cameras were too ..
the other site's catalogs specify that the century portrait cameras used plates though...
so its probably both ... or portrait photographers were some of the last to convert to film.

goamules
16-May-2016, 07:48
There really isn't a way to tell if a back is for film or plates. It's the holders that take one or the other. The ground glass registration is slightly different, I guess. You can use either holder in either type back.

Ray Hunter
28-May-2016, 21:09
I have a lens in barrel that "might" have come off of a Century 7A, a 48cm f/4.5 Voigtlander Braunschweig. It is mounted in a 10-inch square lens board-which is the point of my post: Is the lens board for the Century 7A ten inches square? Thanks.

Peter De Smidt
28-May-2016, 21:21
9 inches, if my memory is correct.

Photolaz
1-Feb-2017, 11:19
This is a little late coming and maybe you already have an answer to what the "A" stands for. It is for the darker finish. The older models had a lighter finish to the wood. On the Packard shutters I repair and/or restore them. If you haven't tried yet and want it done send me a PM. Also I repair/restore the older studio cameras in case you want some tips or would like to have one done.