PDA

View Full Version : A Trunk full of old photo cameras & "Stuff"--Colorado--Revisited

Raymond Bleesz
11-May-2016, 10:41
Last week I posted help in the evaluation of a trunk of old photo cameras, and I have an update for those who might be interested. I went to an auction which happened to be near me here in Colorado in my mountainous neighborhood. The site was an old cattle ranch, and I had a very brief view of the camera gear prior to the auction. On auction day, I purchased 3 cameras for $180 which I think might be a bargain. I am not a collector nor have I ever attended an auction. I went because I was curious, and these cameras looked very interesting to me. There were others and other photos stuff which I should perhaps in hindsight paid more attention to.

The 3 cameras are such, based on what research I was able to do at this time.

A very nice Scoville Albion Camera, 1887, well maintained, few blemishes, no missing parts other than the fresnel rear lens, mahogany cherry wood, Scoville tripod plate, English improvements, front rise, rear movement, all gears run smoothly, minor hole in bellows which I fixed. Interestingly, the rear standard which allows horizontal & vertical shots, also allows for itself to be "flipped" over on to the bellows for operational usage. The lens is a Bausch & Lomb Victor lens, the shutter seems to work, the front glass element looks damaged while the rear glass element looks fine. The Albion came in 5 sizes, and I have a 6 1/2 x 8 1/2. Scoville was manufactured in NY.

A very nice #4 Eastman K Cartridge roll film camera with a handsome well kept black leather case & strap. The box camera was leather covered, is in good shape, has tripod sockets for both vertical & horizontal shooting. The red bellows slides out real nicely, and a Bausch & Lomb lens, dated, 1897 with EK Co mentioned as well. The front standard allows for size & fall. The shutter seems to work well. The lens seems to be damaged to a degree. Hand carrying.

A very nice Unknown camera at this time. It is also a box camera, leather bound, Hand carrying. A handsome brown toned leather case, strap, somewhat abused but I have been working on its restoration--2 compartments, one for 4x5 dark slides and the other compartment for the camera itself. The camera has a Fresnel lens on the back side when opened. When opened, a reddish toned bellows comes out on a rail. It likewise allows for the front standard to rise & fall---also horizontal & vertical shooting. It has a Wollensak Rapid Rectilinear "Regular" lens which seems to work. There is no mention of EK on the camera itself, however, on the bellows draw there is this which might be unusual, " PAT. ALW'D " This camera may be somewhat similar to the Pony Premo #3 camera. I need help in the identification of this camera.

I have photos for those who might be interested. Your input would be greatly appreciated. IMO, this camera, the Unknown, is the most interesting of the 3. Correct me if I am wrong.

I am not familiar with how to download images to this site, so please contact me and I will submit images.

Raymond A. Bleesz
Edwards, Co

Tin Can
11-May-2016, 11:43
I find the last one, 'most interesting' as it is the most usable of the 3 as you have a film or plate holder to match. I have a 4x5 one also.

And now you are a collector. :)

Raymond Bleesz
11-May-2016, 15:57
Randy---thank you for your response--I do not know as yet if the wife is pleased with more stuff in the house. You mention that you have a similar camera, but my question is still unanswered, i.e.: what is the name of this camera/brand, what is meant by this info "Pat ALWD" on the bellows. Are plate holders available? Is this a value as a collector's piece--thank you again. Raymond

Tin Can
11-May-2016, 16:23
Randy---thank you for your response--I do not know as yet if the wife is pleased with more stuff in the house. You mention that you have a similar camera, but my question is still unanswered, i.e.: what is the name of this camera/brand, what is meant by this info "Pat ALWD" on the bellows. Are plate holders available? Is this a value as a collector's piece--thank you again. Raymond

We are moving to email.

goamules
12-May-2016, 06:40
You got some nice ones, I'm glad to see. Sometimes old cameras are quite worn out, broken wood, torn leather. These look very well preserved and are collectible, and even usable. I think you did well. The Scovill looks particularly nice, and would be a good shooter if you can find a few film holders. More info on it, and probably you can find your others, here: http://piercevaubel.com/cam/sco.htm

goamules
12-May-2016, 06:49
As an added plus, the Albion has "nicety." But if you don't have their particular tripod, it's not nice.

"SCOVILL TURN TABLE: The Albion Camera was provided with the Scovill tripod turn table whose excellence is due not only to the fact that it has an open center into which the lens projects thus doing away with the necessity of unscrewing the lens every time the front board of the camera is turned down in order to fold the camera but what is of equal importance the bearings of the turn table are so nicely adjusted that they do not become clogged at any time a defect in all imported cameras. There is also no need of a regulator or fastener for this turn table In whatever direction the camera is turned it remains until moved by the photographer. The extreme accuracy and nicety of the working of the Scovill turn table can only be fairly appreciated when tried. Before passing from the Scovill turn table it is well to bear in mind that serving as a tripod top it does away with the necessity of any other and the bothersome tripod screw. In the highest degree compatible with the requisite strength the Albion Camera is compact and portable."

vdonovan
12-May-2016, 09:43
I'm not a collector either, but I'd be very happy to get those beautiful cameras for what you spent. Congratulations!