PDA

View Full Version : Sinar Norma or "F" Back: Which is Better?

neil poulsen
6-May-2016, 06:08
I'm putting together sort of a hybrid Sinar Norma/F camera with a Norma front standard and Sinar "F" rear standard (sans film back). I have a Norma front standard from a larger format Norma camera, and I picked up the rear standard as part of a change kit to 4x5 that I'd like to have available.

To the question, how does the "F" 4x5 film back compare to a late-model Norma 4x5 film back? Are they functionally the same? Is there an advantage of having one over the other?

Greg
6-May-2016, 06:23
I have and use both. To me they are totally interchangeable for shooting common 4x5 film holders.

asf
6-May-2016, 12:42
I use(d) all models of Sinar from Norma to p2, the only one I wouldn't recommend is f

If you have to use f only the f2 is "ok" in my opinion but I still don't really like it

f is good for intermediate or accessory standards

Drew Wiley
6-May-2016, 12:56
They're functionally interchangeable, but not the same. You'd have to set your front and rear standards at different heights (no big deal). Having used both systems quite a bit, I personally prefer an all-Norma configuration. But I might have misunderstood your query. By "film back" do you just mean the part the retains the filmholder, or the entire rear standard assembly? Most of these parts interchange too. Norma standards are a bit stronger than F ones; but there is indeed a distinction between F+, F1, and F2 standards. I've had very good outdoor torture history with the latter two versions, not with the first. But I don't think any of them are as well built as the Norma standard. Smoother delrin gearing, and that yaw-free option, however, which aren't really big a deal outside the studio. Nor is the option for a slide-in meter probe on the F2 back, or the ridiculously long legs. I sure get compliments on how a true Norma looks! People really stare at the thing. You just don't see that kind of classic manufacture anymore.

koraks
7-May-2016, 03:00
I have a Sinar F for 4x5 and a Norma for 8x10. Parts are to a large extent interchangeable, which is very convenient. In terms of ruggedness, the Norma has the definite edge. From a functional viewpoint, especially the rear assemblies are pretty similar. The F has as its only advantage that it's lighter as it uses more plastic components and generally a more lightweight design, which may make a difference in the field.

neil poulsen
7-May-2016, 12:11
Thanks Drew, I sure appreciate your detailed responses. Just a comment and a question, though . . .

. . . By "film back" do you just mean the part the retains the filmholder, or the entire rear standard assembly? Most of these parts interchange too. . . .

Yes, I was referring to the detachable back that holds the film holder.

. . . I've had very good outdoor torture history with the latter two versions, not with the first. . . .

Not sure what you mean by this?