PDA

View Full Version : JOBO COLOR THERMOMETER 3321; any experiences?

Ron (Netherlands)
5-May-2016, 14:37
Any experiences with this one? Btw I want to use it for B&W film development.

thanks
Ron

koh303
5-May-2016, 14:54
I used it exclusively, though, be sure to get one which is NOT split, as not all of them are able to be righted without damage.
When not split, they are some of the best alcohol/spirit units available.
My 2c.

onnect17
5-May-2016, 15:26
Any experiences with this one? Btw I want to use it for B&W film development.

thanks
Ron

Not sure why you need the extra accuracy for B&W development. What kind of setup are you using?

domaz
5-May-2016, 15:47
They are accurate thermometers. However, they break easily and the one I had contained mercury so cleaning it up off the basement floor was a huge and dangerous headache. More robust mercury thermometers like the Kodak models have a metal jacket that makes breaking them far harder.

I've heard the newer ones do not contain mercury, but I would stay away from them unless you know for certain.

onnect17
5-May-2016, 15:52
Actually, I think, one of these copies of 3321 is mercury-free. I guess the one with the dark, big blue tip.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160505/a1a43b154fa397585f76701eeb9b67b5.jpg

If I was you I would look for a metal one and calibrate it using a fever thermometer. It would save you a few bucks.

Ron (Netherlands)
6-May-2016, 11:48
Thanks all for your replies. Indeed I'll have a look into the metal ones.

Not sure why you need the extra accuracy for B&W development. What kind of setup are you using?
No special set up....
I just do not want to be limited by a thermometer with whole degrees and was curious about the Jobo

onnect17
6-May-2016, 12:44
Thanks all for your replies. Indeed I'll have a look into the metal ones.

No special set up....
I just do not want to be limited by a thermometer with whole degrees and was curious about the Jobo

You will always have more control if you use the room temperature, if possible.

Ron (Netherlands)
7-May-2016, 03:57
You will always have more control if you use the room temperature, if possible.

Thanks for the advice!

tgtaylor
7-May-2016, 09:22
I keep the 2 that came with my CPA-2 together in the original packaging with the unit when not in use. Both thermometers have practically identical readings. I just checked and the F reads 68.5F and the C 22.4C (68.76F).

Thomas